🌍 The PMC Weekly June 26th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC β€’ 6/26/21 9:15 am history
58 emeralds 2.8k 29
7/13/2021 11:57 am
PaperMario40's Avatar PaperMario40

Happy weekend! This week we've seen a lot of wall-posts celebrating the last day(s) of school and first day(s) of the summer vacation. 🌞
We wish everyone a wonderful time off, or much success with any (school)work or other important things to be done this summer. In this week's PMC Weekly we bring you summer themed submissions, ship builds, a Kingdom and more!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

It's raining entries in the Sunshine after the Rain community event! Below are a couple of shining entries that might spark your inspiration to join in and make something too!

You can take the theme literally and make a sun-, rain- or rainbow-themed submission, or take inspiration and make something inspired by what makes you happy after a bad day.

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

Campestral is hosting an HD Shading Contest! In this contest you can choose one out of two original characters: Te'Knorr and Cheory. It's your task to shade one of these skins as your contest entry. You're also free to change up their outfits and the color palette as long as any changes remain (respectful to) the original character.

"Te'Knorr is a demon who loves human culture and fashion. Specifically edgy Korean streetwear fashion and grunge punk. They have a bob cut, but is constantly growing out two long braids."

"Cheory went to art school to become an animator. Unfortunately she had to face the hard reality no one is hiring artists right now. Instead she fills her free time by streaming games, voice acting for her friends' videos, and applying for all and any jobs she can."

Deadline: July 22

Ahoy, mateys!

BigBuilds is hosting an event to celebrate their team reaching 100 subscribers. Congratulations! The theme of the event is everything pirates! 🦜

You can submit a skin or build as your entry, so we expect to see some captains, sea-monsters, ships and islands with buried treasure.

Deadline: July 21

Chance to show!

dawnosaur is hosting their very first reshade contest!

Visit the forum topic for the details of the contest, and the skin submission page to download the skin to re-shade.

"Shading is the practice of adding shadows and highlights to your skin to add depth, definition and texture. It's an imitation of what light does in real life."

If you're new to shading skins but would like to participate in re-shade contests, then be sure to check out this collection of skin making tutorials, curated by No0neInParticular.

Deadline: July 23

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:

😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Community Event
⭐ Skin Fight 2021 ⭐
Meiolki
June 1 - 30
Community Event
Pride Month Challengeclxudy_skiess
June 1 - 30
Themed Contest
MisterDoctor's Steam Machine Contest!
MisterDoctor
Today!
Redesign Contest
Experi-madness: a minecraft skin redesign contest πŸ§ͺ
DinowCookie
Tomorrow!
Themed Contest
.;* 𝕀ℕ𝕂𝕀ℕ𝔼'π•Š π•Šπ•β„•π•‹β„π•Žπ”Έπ•π”Ό β„‚π•†β„•π•‹π”Όπ•Šπ•‹ *;.
Ekin7K
June 30
Fill in the blanks
Demiboy pride Fill in the blanks Contest
IndigoDusky
June 30
πŸ‘½ (Other) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Allround EventPride Month Community Event 🌈DaggsyJune 1 - 30

For a complete list of community hosted contests and events be sure to check out the community event calendar! πŸ“…

⭐OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

EVERYTHING MADE OF BLOCKS!

In this texture pack, the textures of all the blocks and items are made out of smaller default Minecraft block-textures: texture-ception! 😱 How? KNKevin wrote a program which replaces each pixel in each texture with their closest color-matching default block texture. A clever method with a surreal result: when using this pack, your Minecraft world looks like it was built out of millions of mini-blocks!

Want to see for yourself? Make sure to head over to the Textures made of blocks submission page to download!

ART GALLERY 🎨

sonderrr shared several drawings in wall-posts this week! This drawing is of Razor, a character from the game Genshin Impact. Another drawing we really like is this fan-art of PMC member vonk: we're looking forward to any next fan-arts! Want to see more? Browse Rui's wall-posts!

i drew every classic version of The Doctor in one night
Shire12 Drew every single version of The Doctor from Classic Doctor Who in a span of one night! The doctor above is William Hartnell. You can check out all 8 in their art blog here!

mcrjellyfish updated their art blog this week. We love seeing all the different original characters! Make sure to browse the blog: we're sure that viewing all of these drawings will make your day more colorful!

anonpmc2374344 shared several drawings and sketches in wall-posts over the past week! With chibi-style colored original characters, pride sketches and scribbles of PMC friends going on crazy adventures! Hop over to their wall to have a scroll through all of the artwork.

SHIPS, SHIPS, SHIPS!

Some builders in the community are really really good at recreating real-life vessels in Minecraft, to scale and in great detail! This week several pretty impressive such builds were shared on PMC! 😁 We found a Dutch, Japanese and United States ship among the trending ship submissions from this week. Make sure to visit the submission pages to learn more about these ships!

A PERFECT PAIR 🏰

A couple of months ago, BigBuilds released their first multi-player BEDROCK map, Spruce Valley Kingdom! The map features two main game modes (Multi-Player PvP and Hide and Seek) which are fully automated and leave no worry to the players, allowing a seamless and entertaining game-play experience! The map itself features a massive castle surrounded by an expansive medieval-style village.

Their map was updated this week and adds new blocks and mobs and is now compatible with 1.17. BigBuilds also announced their partnership with robonate135, who has created two custom skins to go along with the map! This collection contains the special skins and the map for your convenience!

IT'S GOAT TIME!

Last week we noticed that clearly, the new axolotl mob is the favorite newly added Minecraft-mob among PMC members, and we featured a bunch of axolotl-themed submissions. However, this week the goat caught up on trending thanks to two amazing goat-skins by Aspirin60 that you can use to switch up the look of goats in the game! We're looking forward to seeing more skins for this new rock-climbing friends over the upcoming weeks.

FEATURED DATA PACK

In vanilla Minecraft, flaming arrows, whether shot from a flame bow or through lava or fire, can light TNT, ignite campfires, and set entities on fire... BUT NOT NETHER PORTALS!

Nether portals can be lit by flint and steel, lightning, ghast or blaze fireballs, fire charges, and FIRE... BUT NOT FLAME ARROWS!

LocutusOfNord noticed that none of that makes sense, and so they created a data-pack so that Flame Arrows light Nether Portals, as they logically should.

Sometimes the smallest of tweaks make the game that much better! 😁

FANART FOR DATAPACKERS!

In this blog post data-pack maker YokaiS made some fanart of some of their favorite datapackers, video makers, mod-programmers and map-builders, and one compilation of all four of them together.

The blog includes the characters of Chimerabot, The ExiIed FeIIow, Cavinator1 and Eastonium.

Each fan-art comes with a description of the member it represents, and a little bit about their work, so be sure to give the blog a read! A fun way to be introduced to members you might not have heard of yet. 😁

OFFICIAL INTERVIEW
With Campestral!

Official interview in this spoiler!
Campestral: skin creator, official contest judge, community contest host, builder & (digital) artist!

Their HD Shading Contest is featured in the community events and contests section above. In this interview you get to know more about their creations and inspirations, some great tips on how to get into HD skin making and how to be a succesful competitor in skin contests, and there are pet pictures!

Make sure to hop over to Campestral's profile page to view their content! Here's a couple of creations to give you an impression:

Campestral's Art Blog II New and Improved

Minecraft Questions

Can you share a recent screenshot from your Minecraft game, and share something about it?

For sure! I love sharing the build projects I work on, esp since it’s not what I am known for making. I’ve been working on building for about 5 years now!

My friend Spirit Boston and I joined the PMC server 4 months ago and spend a lot of time building there. Probably the biggest project we have ever taken that wasn’t creative mode! The city we are creating is based on Venice and Château de Chenonceau (A French palace that started construction around the 11th century). If anyone ever sees me online, ask for a tour!

More screenshots in this spoiler!

If you could decide what the next Minecraft update theme should be, what would you pick and why?

Honestly, the one update I always hope for is really small. I just want HD skins in java. But if I had to add a theme, I’d love to see a third dimension that is a much lighter theme compared to the nether and end. It could also strengthen potion making and alchemy, with new ingredients and abilities (Like avoiding mob agro or a potion to help you find ores easier). Could even go as far to make witch huts better and add new items like dried food and placeable potion bottles…

... That and rotatable slabs

Which skin do you currently use in Minecraft, who made it and why do you use it?

Currently I use this skin that I created:

Ange de Chenonceau // OC
by Campestral

She was actually made as an angel to go inside the French palace we made. I mixed the idea of the religious practices that took place there with one of my OCs. She’s a reminder to me of the strong women who have worked on the palace throughout the years too!

PMC Questions

HD skins sure are a specialty of yours.
Do you have any tips for default skin-makers on where to start if they want to have a go at making an HD skin?

Yes! One of my biggest things; don’t treat it like SD skins. Treat it more like a painting! Also, it’s easiest to start off with base colors and focus on just the shadows. Save the highlights for the very end, trust me on this one guys.

If anyone ever wants more in-depth help and critiques, my DMs are open. I’m happy to help.

How long would you say it normally takes you to make an HD skin?
Did you get faster over time?

I’m a wee bit of a perfectionist, so it will always take me a long time. Straight working it’s at least 6-8 hours, or several days because I don’t do skins full time. Definitely haven’t gotten any faster...

You’re a judge in Planet Minecraft’s official skin contests.
Can you share a bit about the things that you enjoy the most in entries when you’re judging in a contest?

So happy you asked! I think I am a little different. Of course overall I am looking for an easy to read skin that’s complex and shows color. BUT, I also am a softy for effort. Pictures, drawing, detailed descriptions, YES PLEASE! I read every single one of them, it always makes me happy to see it. That mixed with a creative ideas *chef kiss* I love people who go above and beyond, regardless of the quality of their work.

Last wednesday you launched your HD Shading Contest: I don't think we've seen one of those before on Planet Minecraft!
What inspired you to create the two original characters in this contest?

These characters are newer ones I have made. I picked them specifically for this contest because of pride month and their interesting outfits.

Te’Knorr I feel like reflects myself personality-wise and style-wise. They were one I created a while ago when I was first ready to start telling people my gender identity. I find their self expression to be super comforting and hope others might as well!

The idea for Cheory is that she might be a girl with a lot of “basic” interests, but she has a lot of struggles just like you and I that are 100% valid. She also represents some of my own issues with feeling certain ways about gender and represents a very small group of women who really do not have it easy.

Do you have any tips for participants in your HD skin contest who are going for the win?

Yes! Take your time first and foremost. HD skins do take a lot of me, I imagine it will be the same for others. Also, don’t be afraid to push the limits. I did mention anyone entering can change the character up as long as they are still recognizable.

On top of that, I do like to see time with trying to shade in details like anatomy and clothing details (like folds and wrinkles)

Fun Questions

You seem to be great at many creative things! Do you do art or content creation for school/work/professionally or is it just your hobby?

It’s just a hobby! As much as I would like to make it a profession, it doesn't seem doable at this current time :’)

What and/or who inspires your creativity?

Can’t say there’s a single who, but def a what! I like to base my art and creations off of experiences. Whether that be games I like to play (Like all my fanart character based works) or the world around me. On top of that, my friends are one of my biggest inspirations of them all, esp when they make my life so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Last year you shared some pictures of your horses. How are they doing?

They’re doing well! They live at my old job and unfortunately this year due to health issues I cannot go back. (I have been fainting and you can’t do that around horses!) But my friends keep me updated on them. I also have a part time job right now taking it slow and cleaning my neighbors horses that are smaller, so introducing:

Smokey (the mini) and Bonnie (the haflinger)!

Do you have any other pets? (Pictures please!)

I don’t have my own pets, but my parents' pets feel like mine haha

Fancy

Bridget and her stray cat she adopted

What's your favorite ice cream flavor? (Assuming everyone likes ice cream.)

Ez pz. Triple chocolate moose tracks ice cream. This is the only correct answer and all other answers are wrong

Anything else you wish to share?

Yes! I’d like to thank the community for my years of not only being a member who has been made extremely comfortable, but also for being able to have fun while being here! And thanks to PMC and the team for all the support they’ve given me personally as well. It really is a nice place to be :)
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake