Are burn outable torches a good idea?

HoboMaggot's Avatar HoboMaggot5/27/21 7:54 am history
6/3/2021 7:27 am
HoboMaggot's Avatar HoboMaggot
Im planning on making a small tweak datapack (going to be part of a bigger collection in the future) that makes torches crafted with coal burn out after 30 minutes and turn into sticks.
5 minutes before it fully burns out, itll turn into that stick, but will emit a dimmer light (possible to do in 1.17)
You can relight those sticks by using a flint and steel/firecharge on the burnt out torch.
You can additionally craft torches using glowstone dust, a piece of coal and a stick (making 4 torches) to make the normal vanilla infinite burning torches.

Do you guys think this is a good idea?
Comment your thoughts.

Positives
  • Makes the game harder/more tedious
  • Makes the game more realistic
Negatives
  • Makes the game harder/more tedious for which not everyone likes
Will update the pos/neg list as more people comment

This has been added before in Minecraft 2.0 (April Fools)
I will also be bumping this thread once per day until poll ends

Poll ended 06/03/2021 7:54 am.

HoboMaggot
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

TheDiamondPlayables
05/29/2021 9:52 am
Level 82 : Elite Programmer
history
A good idea is to make it to see if it's a good idea.
If it's good then it's a good idea.

lol
anonpmc2747568
05/29/2021 9:41 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
Londonsbro
05/28/2021 9:59 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
they should go our in some circumstances like when nearby snow or ice but just going out just because they exist fells kinda annoying, maybe it could dim a bit but fully going out? play how would you light them again, flint and steel? cause if so just normal fire would be a much better option and also when someone is in a mine they dont just have flint and steels hanging around so they can easily get lost, especially if they just made the world.
HoboMaggot
05/28/2021 10:13 pm
Read the thread description because I already covered your points.
To reiterate:
  • The torches burning out is annoying because you're used to torches that last infinitely. In real life however, torches burn out after some time and that's what Im trying to achieve.
  • Flint and steel/fire charges will relight torches
  • A normal fire wont last for 30 minutes
Actually the dimming of torches is a good idea, and is possible with the new light blocks from 1.17
Londonsbro
05/29/2021 7:39 am
yeah but if your in a mine the last thing you want is to get lost and since flint and steel has iron which comes from caves it would be nearly impossible to find it when you run out of torches knowing that it takes a long time to obtain torches when you dont have coal plus this idea would just make fireplaces another furnace
HoboMaggot
05/29/2021 9:33 am
Well that still falls under the 1st point. Not to mention most people would find iron and flint in 30 minutes anyways
Londonsbro
05/29/2021 8:49 pm
yes in the first half an hour but that still doesnt make it apparent that by the time your in the mine and get iron your torches will problobly go out while your in the dark, this would especially be bad with shades cause they can make it so dark its impossible to see and they would have to sacrifice the coal they mined to smelt the iron meaning that they cant even make torches anymore.
HuoKnight
05/28/2021 11:57 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Mlem Mlem Bat
I think it depends on the person. Some people enjoy the challenge, others just find it annoying. I say go for it, there are plenty of people who would enjoy the challenge.
HoboMaggot
05/28/2021 9:54 pm
history
Ye the poll is mainly to see the ratio of people liking the challenge. At this rate from the poll, Im going to make the datapack
Crazy_Matthew149
05/28/2021 10:14 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
Time-limited torches make it more realistic
HoboMaggot
05/28/2021 4:31 am
reserved bump 1
HoboMaggot
05/29/2021 9:33 am
bump 2
HoboMaggot
05/29/2021 10:39 pm
bump 3
HoboMaggot
05/30/2021 5:08 am
bump 4
HoboMaggot
06/01/2021 3:40 am
bump 5
HoboMaggot
06/01/2021 10:38 pm
bump 6
MoominSha
05/27/2021 6:17 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
history
A mod/plugin that replaces the torch placed with air after a set amount of time?
You can do this? A .jar MC 1.15.5 plugin thing?

If this makes sense.. Good job!
On place custom mod named torch, record XYZ location in a txt or .db
Run replace XYZ location with air command after 30 (preset in code or a config) amount of time.
At same XYZ location summon named unlootable no gravity 5 min despawn stick item? "Burned out torch"
If player click with flint+Steel on XYZ location, reset amount of time to 30m for that custom torch block.
/setblock command summon a torch/walltorch/facing at XYZ location and run /killall item stick 5 to remove "Burned out torch"
Update time in .db every 100 ticks or whatever is least ticks load. With torches vanishing all the time
the .db would never be that big to cause any lag spike each update. If block time expires remove db entry?
If player breaks torch before the 30 min expire drop named torch at location.

Millions of Minecraft miners. For real. I've used 10's 1000s torches. /jobs join miner
30m Expiring mining torches? Yes please. Nice idea. Might cause more facepalms than fun though.
HoboMaggot
05/27/2021 6:31 pm
history
I cant do mods/plugins though. I said I was making a datapack, although the logic is very similar
MJ_mcMaster
05/27/2021 8:04 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
me no like :(
but me like B)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome