🌍 The PMC Weekly March 20th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC3/21/21 10:39 am history
3/31/2021 7:57 pm
MJ_mcMaster's Avatar MJ_mcMaster
https://i.imgur.com/u8hDg9I.jpg

In this edition of the weekly, we cover official and non-official community events and contests as well as a couple of skins, some desert terrain, a MASSIVE cruise ship replica that you got to see to believe, a texture pack that adds new biomes and a data pack that you can... pop! We hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

3 DAYS LEFT!

There are just 3 days left to enter the official player skin contest, Dark Depths!Your goal is to make a Minecraft skin that would fit or live in the dark depths of the ocean. Eyeless creatures, bio-luminescent fish or people who've adapted to the dark, crushing depths of the sea. Check out the entries in the contest and diamond your favorites!

A little over 1 week left to submit your entry to the Buccaneer Bay Build Contest alongside Aderlyon build team. In this contest, you can Download the optional starter island and create a pirate themed entry. The island is optional. You could create an elaborate treasure hunt, a pirate ship battle scene, skull cove with sunken ships, active or abandoned pirate village,organic pirate art... You are free to let the theme inspire you.

Deadline: March 29
Aderlyon Build Team | Buccaneer Bay Build Contest Minecraft Map

In this community data pack event, participants use a custom framework designed by Bertiecrafterto implement Minecraft, but ??? scenarios. The scenario is up to you, the data pack creator. At the end of the event, all valid entries will be combined into a special collaborative data pack that implements them all in a unique way and promoted on the official PMC account.We're looking forward to seeing how far the data pack community has developed since then.

Deadline: April 12

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

MazeMaker V3.0 reveal and presentation stream

Next weekend, Gheppio will be presenting his new project, MazeMaker, in its THIRD iteration!

"This is the new generation of modular assembling technologies, designed with all the knowledge acquired during the maze making contest. It's a tool that will allow you to create much more than only mazes! "

The stream will take place Saturday 27 at 17.00 EST (22.00 CET) on the channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/gheppio

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Palette Contest
Anomaly
Fishkiss
March 24
Themed Contest
Ultraviolet 💜
Kaos_Kitten
March 25
🐷 (Mobskins) Type

Themed Contest
Weirdmaggedon v2
Lumina Lemon
March 24

Be sure to check out the Community Event Calendar for a complete list of contests and events!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

FEATURED SKINS
There were a total of 5,063 Player skins submitted this week! Here are a couple of our favorite that were submitted!
// CyberPunky . SGT . OC // Minecraft Skin
CyberPunky by DevilsOfLaPitufina
💪🏽 Gilgamesh, Distributor of Epics 💪🏽 Minecraft Skin
Gilgamesh, Distributor of Epics by Diamond Distributor

FEATURED PROJECTS
TERRIFIC TERRAIN
We saw a common theme among some of the terrain submissions this week. Can you guess what it was? If you guessed Deserts, you're correct! qwryzu's 16x16 map is a multi biome fully detailed with more than just a large vast desert. It also includes a dense forest, mountain ranges, and vast plains! Sanguine Desert is a 5k x 5k vast mesa. calabasas encourages you to use it for your desert and wasteland projects! If you like this map, be sure to check out several other terrain submissions they have!

Another thing they all have in common is they all have free downloads! Sweet!

Kythor by qwryzu

Sanguine Desert by calabasas
Ocean Dunes by Tomatiy

Desert with mountains by Nokres

ALL ABOARD!
MrOceanTravel's latest project is a 1.35:1 extremely detailed replica of the CELEBRITY EDGE! They've have been working on this project since November 2019 and is the most detailed and accurate project they've ever completed! MrOcean personally sailed aboard the real-life Celebrity edge and took over 5,000 pictures and videos and was even granted access to restricted areas to bring you a COMPLETE Minecraft replica of the real thing. MrOcean provided a free download so you can virtually roam all 16 Decks and explore everything this ship has to offer!
EDGE Cover

FEATURED TEXTURE PACK
This pack called Biomes+ by ShrimpSnail aims to enhance exploration and make the Minecraft world brighter with NEW mob variation and biomes including a flower forest, cherry blossom forest, an overhauled desert and more!

In addition to all that in the overworld there are also 15 striders to collect in the nether you can name them to get the different variations buy they all spawn naturally in thier respective biomes, and the imfamous golden strider which has a 1 in 1001 chance of appearing and this one can't be gained with nametags you'll have to find him.
FEATURED DATA PACK
We all know that popping bubble wrap IRL is very satisfying, but how about popping bubble wrap in Minecraft?! We no longer have to wonder what it would be like, thanks to Bertiecrafter's newest data pack, Bubble Wrap!
  • Craft by putting a honeycomb between two glass panes.
  • Throw the crafted bubble wrap on top of a placed empty chest to turn its inventory into bubble wraps
  • Click the bubbles (glass panes) inside the chest for a satisfying * plop
  • Works for double chests (throw one sheet of bubble wrap on each chest)

Check out the submission page and let him know what you think!

INTERVIEW TIME

This week's interview is with...
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow! Kord has been a member of Planet Minecraft since 2016! During her time here, she's submitted several works in both the projects and skins section! Shes participated in several contests and events, and is known for giving positive feedback to many members on their submissions! She's always down to try new things, too! Her good sportsmanship and drive made us want to more about her!

Minecraft/Personalized Questions

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I started playing Minecraft in September 2014 (apparently just a few weeks after the Bountiful Update, aka good ol’ 1.8, dropped…not like I even knew jack about differences between one version to another though at that early time in my Minecraft existence). I had come home early from work one day in a somewhat exhausted and distraught state after the whole team I was part of at that time was informed that our manager had suddenly (and very unexpectedly) died. My husband (tulpa) suggested that perhaps I try to entirely forget about work entirely for the rest of the day and suggested that I buy and tinker with Minecraft, a game that is not exactly his style (he’s more of a TF2 type!) but that he had tried previously and had a hunch that it might be a game which I could happily immerse myself in.

Indeed, that single introduction to Minecraft DID turn out to be for the longer term: Minecraft didn’t simply serve to pass the time on just that one tough night in particular, but rather it became a growing source of creative entertainment and, eventually, my primary hobby! While I first started playing on a private whitelisted server that some friends on a forum had started, I spread beyond that in short time and…between 2015 and 2018…I played and staffed on public server of Skyblock and Survival flavors (add in a dash of Towny as well, though Towny was never my favorite thing!).

From 2019 through 2020, I began to burn out on public servers (which for some reason mostly seemed to be drawing to a close anyway for whatever reasons…either that, or becoming expansive and nothing more than P2W regarding the divide between what donors versus non-donors could expect in benefits from the server, thus a lot of us decided, goodbye!). It was all totally for the best, as I became more enamored of small private servers and/or simply taking advantage of the freedoms clearly afforded by single-player maps to use as my playground for private creative-mode builds (which, given my work responsibilities, is truly the best situation to thrive in anyway!).

Anyway WOW and sorry for going way over in this response! I got a bit enthusiastically carried away.

Do you still play Minecraft?

Indeed, I do!

I have played Minecraft nearly every day (the exceptions being 3-5 day intervals at rare times) since I first started playing. My play style now is private and based on maps I’m working on for either personal or contest-entry use, but it’s a good balance and I enjoy it very much.

You build some impressive and massive Minecraft projects. Tell us your creative process? What inspires you?

I build in the most sloppy and unprofessional way possible, I’m afraid: I purely make things up as I go along, with that process also pulling in thoughts I may have on a particular build or so from vague ideas that come to me either in dreams at night or during bits of random inspiration throughout the workday. Being that I build for no other reason than my own personal enjoyment, I guess that makes it okay to say that I don’t really have a formal process in the slightest but that I truly enjoy all of my moments spent working on builds (and likewise planning for them, if planning even takes place at all).

Are you working on any Minecraft projects?

Yes, I’m currently working on a fantasy-like pirate airship (I think?…anyway, that’s what my randomness leg me to begin building this past weekend!) for the Buccaneer Bay Build Contest. There’s no way I will come in even as Finalist and thus of course will not even place in this contest…but it doesn’t even matter: the challenge is something I’ve not ever done before, so aiming to create a submission for the contest is high on my “to-do” list anyway.

Aside from that, I have an inclination to start making some small weekly builds (such as chunk-sized homes in various scenarios/biomes) to share on PMC, but that is just in planning stages and not a confirmed decision just yet.

You’ve also dabbled in skin making. Can we expect any skins from you in the near future?

Yes, though not sure in what fashion. The skinning side of PMC is quite intimidating and not very open to embracing new (regular) members, as far as I have been able to see (in many ways it is actually a wee bit snobbish, particularly in the aspect of player skins rather than mob skins…and OMG it is SO cliquish!)…but when I am inspired to create skins, I’ll definitely do so and share them with PMC.

How has Minecraft influenced or changed you in real life?

Minecraft has provided an amazing outlet for creativity and relaxation to me that I am forever grateful to have: for example, if I have a rough day at work, I know that I can relax at the end of the day with some time in-game building. I’ve found this to be quite therapeutic over the long haul.

You’ve recently made a wall post about pi day. That, along with your skin contest suggestion of Molecules Abounding gives us the thought that you are perhaps a science nerd (which you also indicated when you suggested this skin theme). Does your career or studies center around science?

I’m indeed a science nerd! I have a PhD in a biological sciences field(s)…not feeling the need to state the field(s) specifically here, but if anyone really wants to know know, they are free to message me and I am happy to mention further. 😊 I’m especially keep to help anyone who is planning to go into such fields acquire an idea of what things are like in terms of employment, etc.

I’ve spent a few decades either running or working in basic/translational science laboratories (both academic and industrial) but have been working in a fully remote capacity as a clinical scientist involved in pharmaceutical trials since 2016 (in the context of data analysis and presentation of results to regulatory agencies). I enjoy the work that I do tremendously, and needless to say…it’s been very, very busy throughout 2020 and now!

Why do you love science? Which niche of Science is your favorite?

I really don’t have a great response as to why I love science other than to state that it’s just what feels natural to me. Then again…I’ve been going through a lot of stuff over the past year and so “natural” is a bit subjective. 😊 I’ve known that I wanted to study science and pursue graduate studies in a scientific field since I was in the 7th grade, which was a LONG time ago to me.

If I had to pick and share a specific scientific niche that captures my fancy most, I’d have to say that all things regarding the Major Histocompatibility Complex (and if we have to narrow it down to humans, then the counterpart for that would be, specifically, Human Leukocyte Antigens) are my thing. Fun facts: the same molecules that determine optimal vaccine responses to pathogenic antigens also determine responses of “self” versus “non-self” in the context of tissue transplantation.

Let’s also just say that my mind and also my work-life have been beyond busy the past year or two what with the pandemic and such!

Okay, so imma shut up now before people think I’m way TOO geeky. Again, feel free to message if you wish for further details, and I may consider sharing.

Tell us a random science related fact you know, that you don't think other will know!

I won’t answer this, as I am more the Carl Sagan type of scientist in that I won’t even hope to know things that others do not (and see no purpose in pride trying to claim otherwise) but am more geeked and inspired seeing people discover things…and become fascinated by them…on their own through research freely available to us all (YAY internet!).

You recently decorated your profile to celebrate St. Patricks day. Do you have Irish heritage? Is this your favorite holiday? (if not, what is?)

I do have Irish heritage, and this holiday has thus been a great one to celebrate, though I do not have a favorite holiday in particular (I enjoy them all on a fairly equal basis).

PMC Questions

Your 5 year PMC Anniversary is coming up! You’ve submitted a couple of major builds to contests lately. What inspired you to start participating in contests?

I am very excited for my 5th PMG Anniversary to be coming up (though an even bigger number containing 5…the big 50…is greeting me as a birthday in the month of May)!

I don’t know exactly what inspired me to begin the gamble of participating in contests at all, but the first contest I participated in (for build contests, which I should state that I much prefer build contests to skin contests) was the Project 2048 | Space Exploration Build Contest, which I came in as a Finalist and SO HAD NOT BEEN EXPECTING IT! Nothing in particular inspired my participation beyond thinking that the theme prompt was awesome. I tend to base my choice of entering ANY contests here similarly. Please note that my entry for this contest is not currently on the site (though may be again by the time this interview posts): I went through a “cleaning-out” phase and trashed 90% or more of my submitted content awhile back but have been thinking of uploading several items again. So, likely this will happen.

You’ve participated in quite a few PMC Events and a couple of contests. Out of the contests and events you’ve participated, which one has been your favorite?

My favorite has been the Maze Making Contest by Gheppio.

Which PMC Pet is your favorite?

I truly do not have a singular favorite when it comes to the pets: they are each adorable and extraordinary in their own rights. I choose which one to have active based upon how I think it best fits in with the theme I choose for the profile.

How did you choose your username?

There’s absolutely zero interesting story behind it (in fact, there ISN’T a story!). So, I’m passing this question up.

What PMC submission are you most proud of? Why?

I'm actually the most proud of the entry that I created for Gheppio's Maze Making Contest, which is a maze entitled ✠ fortress prison: a meditative journey ✠. I created it at a very trying and pivotal time in my life, and it seemed to be very therapeutic having the contest entry to focus on.

What do you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?

I think I most enjoy seeing the diversity of everyone who enjoys Minecraft in some aspect.

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?

There are numerous members who I admire and/or look toward (yes, even some who are kinda standoffish at that!). One name I will state first is Armok, an old friend from many years back who first suggested that I join PMC. :) Others who immediately come to mind as inspiration either here at
PMC or otherwise (either playing together on servers or chatting about the game and builds, etc.) are 4rft5, ThisIsMystic, Gheppio, Giogi, and Zwil.

While I cannot name everybody or it would be a very thick bit of typing, I would like to at least list some more as follows (and in no particular order): PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft, Lemilas, eagoy, Uknownymous, kimandjax, Yoler_Toons, Aspirin60, Nitgo, Ray_Savage, Barbarian, dreamCritting, Ang333, Deamon_Hunter, Diamond Distributor, Chaotic Stupid, DreamWanderer, Perfections (and many more).

Fun Questions
What other video games do you enjoy playing?

Though there's nothing I play nearly as much as Minecraft, I enjoy Fable Anniversary, Plague Inc: Evolved, Cookie Clicker, and MouseHunt.

What genre of music is your favorite? Do you listen to music while you’re creating in Minecraft?

There are no genres of music that I dislike; my husband and I have amassed a considerably large music collection over the years representing all types of music. A specific weakness for us both that we just can't get enough of is Nine Inch Nails.

I don't tend to listen to any particular music when I'm playing Minecraft, as I have always been a tremendous fan of the game's soundtrack.

Describe yourself in 3 words!

friendly, unfazed, resilient

What’s your favorite food?

I love seared scallops cooked in butter and garlic!

Do you have any pets? (include pictures!)

Yes!!! Stormy, the cat. 😊 He turns 12 years old this year. Hubby and I adopted him when he was only 4 months old. He is quite lovable and large and lazy, preferring to spend his days soaking in the sun while hanging out in my office.

Are there any hobbies outside of Minecraft that you have?

Indeed there are! I enjoy walking, reading (fiction and nonfiction), drawing, cooking, listening to music, and chillin’ with my husband and kitty.

Is there any new skill that you’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t had the chance to yet?

I've been interested in perhaps learning to make animated pixel art...I've just been slow trying to convince myself to get around to it. :)

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?

You're never too young or too old for Minecraft; the game is timeless, so never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Anything you'd like to add?

Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in this interview, it has made my day, and I hope that perhaps some folks who haven't known me before might enjoy having learned a bit more about me now.

PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake