PMC Lucky Blocks | Conclusionarchive

Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter7/6/20 4:33 am history
11 emeralds 1.5k 20
7/15/2020 1:51 am
Magneter102's Avatar Magneter102
Wow, this has been a journey. In this thread I'll reflect on the event, give you all a status update and talk a little bit about the future of data pack events.

It was really cool to see other people comment about bugs and improvements, regarding the framework. I could then improve the internals of the framework, while keeping the connection points that participants use the same. Even an extra information field was later added without breaking existing options after I realized that submissions were going to be a lot more intricate than I would've thought. So thanks to everyone for the constructive feedback to help improve the quality of the framework.

Now about the submissions themselves, they are incredibly awesome! The submitted options include mob bosses, uniquely behaving mobs, pyramids, temples, quests, wands, swords and much more. Compared to other events, this event might not have as many submissions, but the amount of content is insane. Besides the big extensive submissions from known data pack creators like legopitstop and NTDan, I also saw submissions from creators who got into data packs for the first time, like Redfuzzyturtle, LordBreakerX and Nitrox Nova. One of the goals of the event was to welcome new creators to the data pack community and I'd say it was a success. Big thanks to everyone participating, I had great fun looking at all the submissions.

It took a little bit of time to merge all the data packs, but the it's finally here:
Download the complete PMC Lucky Block data pack here.
As a bonus, I made 5 maps for you to play on with friends. Check them out here.

And that brings us to the future of data pack events. Checking every submission takes a lot of time and really doesn't make an event like this scalable at all. A few of the things I check are if every scoreboard objective is uniquely prefixed, if a unique namespace is used, if tick/load/uninstall/register_options functions are used correctly and if nobody made the function tags replace previous lists. And although I know the PMC community is not as evil, I will never know for sure if somebody put a "/kill @e" or "/execute at @a run fill <big area> air" somewhere deep within the datapack. I simply can't check every function in every submission. Some people might say that the journey is more important than the final result, but the risk of publishing a harmful/broken data pack gets me not as comfortable as I'd like to be.

It was great fun to make something cool together, but for a future data pack event, I recommend not attempting to merge submissions. Of course, a non-required "template" data pack could still be provided to welcome new creators. Perhaps one day, when Minecraft makes namespaces required (also in scoreboards/tags) and a better automated way to test compatibility/functionality exists, we can safely merge data packs again.

Once again, thank you everyone for participating, use the comments as an opportunity to discuss the event and you'll hear from me when the final data pack has been released!

Poll

What structure should a future event use?
A: If possible, I prefer to create something as a community again for the next event. This means a required framework, stricter rules and a feedback round. (Just like this event)
B: I prefer to have individual creations that do not contribute to a final data pack next time. Any framework of the kind is optional, you have more freedom and you won't get feedback.
Bertiecrafter
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Bertiecrafter
07/14/2020 11:31 am
It's finally here!
Download the complete PMC Lucky Block data pack here.
As a bonus, I made 5 maps for you to play on with friends. Check them out here.

Enjoy =)
MASTRIO
07/14/2020 3:27 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Goblin
Woo!
I can't wait to see what everyone has made!
Bertiecrafter
07/11/2020 2:22 pm
Stay tuned for the final data pack release!
The ExiIed FeIIow
07/07/2020 5:30 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Imposter
Have nothing to say so yeah...

Bertiecrafter
07/07/2020 6:12 am
history
Very nice meme hahahaha

Bertiecrafter when he tries to properly
judge 13 data packs without having
a clue on how any of them work.
Too much! it's too much! - Hungover Spiderman | Meme Generator

Also I will obviously not take all the credit for the final data pack xD
The ExiIed FeIIow
07/08/2020 4:52 am
Bertiecrafter
07/08/2020 6:23 am
Kreuzt already pushed an update, I just didn't get back to reviewing it again :P
The ExiIed FeIIow
07/08/2020 7:09 am
0of
07/07/2020 5:23 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
The ExiIed FeIIow
07/07/2020 5:24 am
Have nothing to say so yeah...
One_Nose
07/07/2020 3:25 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Hero
About future event, I think this was a great idea. It gave a lot of freedom – you just say that we need to add SOMETHING that would happen, but you said nothing about WHAT it should be, except for some obvious restricions. Also, if we look on the numbers, thirteen participaters and 217 options (wow) show it actually worked. Especially when it's a lucky block data pack, which requires a lot of options to be fun to play. I think the best thing when making a shared data pack is that many small data pack are many but not big and just regular mini data packs, but when they all become one project, it's something big. Everyone can look and say, I made a lucky block data pack with 217 options (wow)! Of course you didn't make the whole data pack or even most of it, but you made it. The greatest programs were programmed by a huge amount of people (e.g. minecraft) and also the best data packs.

In the other hand, as you said, it's a lot of work to merge all of the entries. It might take time, but the result worth it. If there are too many submissions you can even find a person or two and everyone will merge a part, and then merging two or three large data packs is easier than merging 20 small data packs.

That is my opinion, and I think many participaters will agree with me. This was a great idea and doing this again would be awesome.
Magneter102
07/07/2020 2:00 am
Level 39 : Artisan uwu
Thanks for hosting this event :)

I'm honestly not 100% sure about what kind of event structure should we have. Individual ones would probably be easier to host, allowing us to have more of them, and maybe introduce more people to data packs overall + you're going to have more freedom. On the other hand, bigger creations might be more fun to play, as they would give the player more content with only one data pack, which it is also going to be made sure is compatible.

I think it depends on how you look at it. From the perspective of developers, I think the former might be better (more freedom + possibly more exposure, due to more events). From the perspective of players, probably the latter would be better (more content which is made sure to be compatible).

I'm honestly not what my opinion on this topic is.
Magneter102
07/15/2020 1:51 am
Level 39 : Artisan uwu
Actually, now, thiking back on it, it might be possible to make something without such a strict framework, and still merge it into one datapack. It would still require some rules, so they are compatible (mostly in relation to scoreboards, tags, namespaces etc.), and a feedback round, but would give more freedom. It would be harder to come up with a theme which would fit this though.

One thing which could possibly work with that would be a theme like "food". This one is way simpler, making it so it wouldn't require such a strict framework (or maybe no framework at all), and it might still make sense to merge it, instead of making the packs seperate.

Honestly though, I've played the final product for a while, and I've actually decided that the result is quite fun. As a participator, it was cool to see one of my own creations in a bigger work. Like in my previous post though, I'm still a bit worried about the fact, that such events will take longer to come up with, prepare, judge e.t.c. and I think it would be useful to bring some more popularity to datapacks (especially since mojang seems to support them more and more), and I don't think an event every few months will do that.

Either way, this time, I'm voting for A.
MysticMage
07/06/2020 12:58 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
This is one of the best event´s, I´ve ever participated in. The thing I like most, is that the whole community is working together to just create a single creation. That´s something unique and new, wich is always, what I´m looking for (it doesn´t matter if in a event or a build by just myself). Thank you for making that possible and putting so much effort in a community Event. Im´definitely voting for A (for all the reasons I wrote before). I´m really hoping and looking forward to a new Community Event like this, hosted by you in the near future.
Redfuzzyturtle
07/06/2020 12:38 pm
Level 29 : Expert Taco
Thanks for hosting this event! I had so much fun with this, it helped me a lot to learn about data packs. As far as first data packs go, you made mine a fun one :D hopefully I’ll make many more data packs in the future.
Bertiecrafter
07/06/2020 1:15 pm
That's good to hear!
NTDan
07/06/2020 12:08 pm
Level 49 : Master Crafter
Mom, I’m famous! (lol)
And I don’t have the ability to make long paragraphs so I’m just gonna say thanks.
Seriously though, thanks for hosting this event!
kyleong
07/06/2020 9:51 am
Level 71 : Legendary Engineer
Thanks for hosting the event! I can't wait to see the final product!
One_Nose
07/06/2020 5:14 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Hero
Thanks for the mention!

Don't worry, the most evil thing I have seen anyone does in this community is posting the same thread twice. That's a great community, no one is making problems in this level.
Bertiecrafter
07/06/2020 6:15 am
I know haha. It's just the feeling of not having a controlled environment that I don't really like. That doesn't necessarily mean anyone will actually take advantage of that.
MysticMage
07/06/2020 12:46 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
And even if there is something very evil inside, it doesent matter really, because neraly everyone knows this datapack is an experimental and fun community work. If there are some mistakes it´s even more fun, to search together and try to make the pack as good as possible.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome