Minecraft, But ?????offline_bolt

Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter3/6/21 12:00 pm history
23 emeralds 4.1k 39
6/7/2021 7:19 pm
GavinGamezGood's Avatar GavinGamezGood

You must've seen the concept before. "Minecraft, but item drops are multiplied", "Minecraft, but you have to walk in a straight line", "Minecraft, but you cannot touch the floor", do I need to go on? You can use this framework to quickly build your own "Minecraft, But ?????" scenarios. Besides offering an easy-to-use and powerful connections, the common platform avoids all data packs being enabled at once and will randomly choose one every 5 minutes (by default)! This allows for a pleasant experience, where the user has increased variety and content and the creators have increased exposure. Of course, creators will be given appropriate credit in chat ever time their scenario gets picked.

Note that the framework is required for the event.

This thread serves as a discussion thread for the event that is currently running. Ask any questions/experiences regarding the event and its rules here, but post anything related to the framework itself in the framework comments section.
Bertiecrafter
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

GavinGamezGood
06/07/2021 7:19 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Is there a minecraft but you can combine items datapack or mod
Bertiecrafter
04/07/2021 1:40 am
5 days left on the event!
(If you want to enter, make sure to read the rules)
owenxm_pmc
04/02/2021 12:19 am
Level 29 : Expert Crafter
history
My pack doesn't use ticking, but instead uses a single command that is entered once. How would I make it run correctly? You have the thing that starts scenarios using the tick tag, which breaks my pack.

Edit: Sorry! I'm dumb, everytime I ask for help, I solve my issue 5 seconds later.
Add your single activation command to start.mcfunction in your namespace.
Bertiecrafter
04/02/2021 3:24 am
I'm glad you figured it out! According to the rules, make sure players get affected for the full 5 minutes (small intervals allowed) even though your command is only activated once. Also make sure the stop function cleans up anything that the start function does
FunkyToc
03/20/2021 4:58 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Creator
history
Hi ! Are we allowed to create new functions in our "datapack/steve/functions" folder ?
Bertiecrafter
03/20/2021 5:48 pm
history
Yes! Just make sure you rename the steve folder (see instructions) and put all functions inside the mcb folder or a subfolder. Use the data pack checker to confirm you're doing it right.
Theenglishmuffin
03/19/2021 2:00 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
Minecraft but you are playing roblox
Gameroffgames
03/19/2021 1:25 pm
Minecraft but it seems like the wrong game
Royal13m
03/19/2021 12:53 pm
bad love story
You Get A Random Item In Your Inventory
Crois
03/18/2021 11:21 am
Level 49 : Master Zombie
Minecraft But...You spawn in the end
lucad22
03/18/2021 11:14 am
Minecraft But... Every Time You Walk You Get A Random Item In Your Inventory
minecwafter
03/16/2021 4:22 pm
Minecraft but the best armor is none.
Bertiecrafter
03/16/2021 4:19 pm
Planet Minecraft Data Pack Event + Data Pack Checker Tutorial
To help you enter the event and use the checker, I made a video taking you through the process step by step. At a high level, it's just a matter of filling in the gaps and using a bit of software that automatically helps you find and fix compatibility/style problems.

I truly believe that anyone can enter the event, there are already 2 submissions from beginner data pack creators!

The video is also available on the Data Pack Checker wiki!
SG_TS
03/16/2021 10:32 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Skinner
minecraft but if you die u respawn in nether castle(which would be bigger than usual ones) and u need to find room full of chests where you can take flint and steel, then u need to find another room where would be portal.
Guillesahu07
03/16/2021 10:20 am
Level 28 : Expert Procrastinator
Can I steal it from Dream's Patreon?
Bertiecrafter
03/16/2021 12:12 pm
No -.- xD
Phidippusaudax
03/14/2021 3:49 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
Minecraft, but an enderdragon spawns every 15 secs.
Dunk__
03/14/2021 12:46 am
Level 38 : Artisan Pixel Painter
I want to participate but I don't know what should I make.
Any ideas?
SirMephistoPheles666
03/12/2021 7:12 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Botanist
I'd like to submit an entry but it changes world generation. In fact the whole scenario is based on world generation thus it is impossible to make it compatible as a single function. It doesn't have to do anything with functions and to make it work, one must generate a new world using this data pack to take effect. It cannot work like a toggleable scenaria. I presume then my data pack just cannot participate in this event, can it now?
Bertiecrafter
03/12/2021 11:17 am
history
Unfortunately not. It does not fit this event :/

The framework is required in order to easily merge several data packs and create one big data pack together. World Generation doesn't fit, because it cannot be made collaborative (besides not implementing the framework).
SirMephistoPheles666
03/12/2021 12:00 pm
history
Oh well. I thought so. Too bad I specialize in world generation and the related stuff. Seems like INTJ individuals are really bound to work alone. Thank you for your confirmation too.
Bertiecrafter
03/12/2021 1:14 pm
Hahaha I think I have the INTJ personality too haha. Of course you can always dabble in the functional area of data packs :p
SirMephistoPheles666
03/12/2021 1:21 pm
history
Being an INTJ is a cool thing. Especially if you're in a happy long term relationship for finding a partner is one if not the biggest hardships this type of personality looks forward to. I cannot even recall the last time I was burdened with such trivial questions and problems that regular people struggle with day to day. If you're a happy INTJ make sure to value your personality and not to be yearning for others.

  Yeah. Sometimes, very rarely I have to touch functions to make one of my world generators fancier. However, I like to avoid functions overall for Murphy's law declares that if something can go wrong, it'll eventually thus I love to make my packs avoid to use any complex script or function. The fewer instances, the simpler, the smaller the chance that one of my packs will go wrong or stop working eventually.
Bertiecrafter
03/11/2021 1:00 pm
Good news! The data pack checker is now interactive!
This means that you won't need to open up the console/terminal and manually paste in complicated paths to your data packs and config files anymore. Simply double click the executable and make decisions by entering the numbers associated with an option.

View the updated wiki!
Download the latest version!

If the checker doesn't suggest the right options, you can still manually provide all values (like the base path to your minecraft folder) by adding extra arguments on the command line. Use the "--help" argument to list all other arguments.
Chimerabot
03/09/2021 10:35 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Theorist
One thing I noticed while making my entry was that the constant revision and rule-reviewing was really, really tiring. Educational, for sure, and it instilled some habits I probably won't soon break, but still tiring. For a little while I almost felt like the rules were even too much.
But when I put it in the frame of mind that we're making parts of a datapack- so to speak- rather than a standalone project, I finally understood why there were so many rules.

In that vein, it would be nice if you could allude to something like that on these posts. It probably would've been easier for me to handle if I'd been in that frame of mind from the start.
Bertiecrafter
03/10/2021 2:14 am
This is understandable, I'll ask somebody to mark the bit on the event page that specifies this a bit clearer. Also several feedback options were optional (marked in gray), which means you didn't necessarily have to put effort into fixing them (although I did enjoy seeing all feedback processed!). In one of your comments you said you didn't use the DPC out of it's complexity, causing you to review tons of rules manually which is going to be a bit of a hassle.

In the coming days I'll update the DPC to be interactive. So instead of messing about with the command line, you can just double click the .exe and you can use numbers to select a world save, data pack and rules config file. (Like one of those voice robot menus on the phone.) When the update rolls out, I'll post another comment on this thread and create a wall post on my profile.

Regardless, well done on creating the first data pack for the event! Thank you for processing all feedback and giving me feedback in return =)
Chimerabot
03/10/2021 9:28 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Theorist
Awesome! Thanks in return for sticking with me through it all. I'm glad to have been able to test and even submit an entry.
Bertiecrafter
03/11/2021 1:04 pm
I just released an update to the DPC which includes the interactive menus I talked about =)
HoboMaggot
03/08/2021 1:48 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
history
Looking at the pack im a bit confused where stuff like block tags go. Is it namespace > tags > blocks > mcb > blocktag?
Also as register has the start and stop function, what's the purpose of load and uninstall then?

Can we additionally publish the datapacks independently (with the framework) after the event has finished (crediting you as the author of the framework ofc)?
Bertiecrafter
03/08/2021 2:03 am
Yes tags do go in /data/my_namespace/tags/blocks/mcb/my_name.json. It can be verified by running the Data Pack Checker.

The framework works with scenarios, instead of enabling all scenarios at once it will only enable 1 and switch every now and then. The start and stop functions are scenario specific and are called when a specific scenario is started/stopped. The load/uninstall is for the entire data pack. For more info, see the table in the instructions on the Framework submission page.

No, you can not publish the framework within your data pack. On the event page you can see a preview of how the dependency will appear on your submission. For end-users it's as simple as downloading both without any configuration.
Bertiecrafter
03/07/2021 3:28 am
Moved from Framework Comments (Selfishboy):
Can I use predicates in my datapack?

Yes you can! Just make sure you only use them (and make things happen if they pass) when your scenario is active. Also note that the predicates have to go in a "mcb" subfolder, just like the functions. (Verify by running the Data Pack Checker)
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
03/06/2021 2:42 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Zombie
This is something I'd only ever say "I'm entering!" in my dreams: it's totally beyond anything I know enough about to actually do, and I think I'll enjoy myself more just checking out the submissions and then enjoying the pack that results from the contest. :)

Primarily though I wanted to leave a comment here saying how fantastic it has been lately seeing contests of the sort not routinely run being held: the RTX ON event (really that was quite distinct, being Bedrock and also having a prize element determined and provided by a third party), the Love Poetry contest, and now this!
Bertiecrafter
03/06/2021 2:49 pm
Thank you! (Although I'm not responsible for the other events)

With a little bit of knowing your way around computers and the data pack structure, also new data pack creators should be able to come up with a data pack. Perhaps if you're bored, you can give it a go :P
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
03/06/2021 3:26 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Zombie
LOL to be honest I was thanking you for all of the events on behalf of Planet Minecraft doing this for us, because I thought you were staff. Who knows, it seems natural though (I doubt I'm the first one who has accidentally thought that you were).
Giancarlovan
03/06/2021 1:55 pm
Level 42 : Master Technomancer
I've never made any datapacks before, but I've always wanted to do some fun stuff, like
  • Minecraft but blocks turn into lava after 5 seconds of you stepping on them
  • Minecraft but daylight damages passive mobs
  • Minecraft but mining costs exp and crafting gives exp
Bertiecrafter
03/06/2021 2:46 pm
These ideas are not impossible or super complex, but can be difficult for a new creator. I do encourage you to try and join in, but you could also let the data pack community use the ideas if you don't want to. In that case you should mention that in a reply and others should reply to that if they want to pick up the idea(s).
Giancarlovan
03/07/2021 12:18 am
Level 42 : Master Technomancer
history
Hmm as I'm quite busy lately, I'm hereby offering up these ideas to the community :)

I only ask that I be given credit for the idea - otherwise, go wild!

Just reply to this comment if you want to use an idea :D
UltroGhast
03/06/2021 12:06 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Engineer
There were not enough "Minecraft but" datapacks on this site... :\
Bertiecrafter
03/06/2021 12:34 pm
To encourage new data pack creators, you can't really create super technical/specific events. Since this is only the second ever data pack event, we're still testing the waters and experimenting with different formats. Perhaps future events will be more sophisticated, once events get a steady flow and everybody gets accustomed to them.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the creative freedom of this event and perhaps submit a data pack of your own =)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome