What mob from first mob vote you want to have in Minecraft?autorenew

pocapka's Avatar pocapka10/7/23 3:48 am
3 emeralds 146 3
10/8/2023 12:48 am
Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum
I like Wildfire but Minecraft needs Barnacle!
pocapka
Level 40 : Master Herobrine

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Dermugettum
10/08/2023 12:48 am
Level 22 : Expert Miner
history
I'm a little split on Barnacle and Wildfire too, but the Wildfire has such a badass design.

Barnacle should be added on the grounds that the ocean biomes have no hostile mobs aside from drowned (a zombie clone) and guardians (which only spawn at monuments). Oceans are meant to be dangerous for god's sake!

The Wildfire, on the other hand, had me sold. At the time of the vote, there was no Nether Update, and the Wither didn't really count as a boss for the dimension. Even though the Nether has seen an update at this point, I think there's still room for a more challenging mob. It would be really interesting also to have a mob that can actually deflect attacks with its own shields like the player can. The Wildfire just screams for an epic fight. Not like the Warden, which is so painful to kill that the whole point is to avoid it.
ScotsMiser
10/07/2023 5:30 am
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
None actually…

Taking the four in order:
A — Barnacle: (aside from the failure of the name compared to IRL barnicles) this struck me as a cruising ambush predator [more a less or shark analog.]

B — MobB: as teased : I would call this the best of the lot… as implemented : yeah, me too :vomit:

C — Great Hunger: a camouflaged ambush preditor that destroyed items — too much step_and_die flavor to this one IMO

D — Hovering Inferno [in the official vid] (Wildfire) —looked like a random boss blaze with shields and a new 'pesky-player-killer'

In retrospect, I can see the appeal of the flying-manta trope (particularly as compared with the competition). Knowing how poorly this concept had been implementated in various previous games did, however, make me leeary of MS/Mj's attempt.
Dermugettum
10/08/2023 12:42 am
Level 22 : Expert Miner
For all we know, "Barnacle" could've been a placeholder name for Mob A. We don't know if that name would've stayed if it got added to the game or not.

I think the very first mob vote had the most thought put into the creation of the mobs. Like the rest of the votes however, not much information was given about how the mobs would work in the game. We didn't know what the phantom would do until it was in the game.

I have to argue that the names of the later fantasy mobs are much worse than "Barnacle", like Sniffer? Rascal? C'mon, Mojang. As for Mobs C and D, we can't just dismiss them as being annoying because they weren't even added. You can't just assume that based on how the Phantom was added or how the Wildfire might have been in MC Dungeons.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome