Should bucket fill packs be considered spam?

peytonisgreat's Avatar peytonisgreat8/3/13 10:44 pm
1 emeralds 478 7
8/5/2013 1:13 am
ASF's Avatar ASF
So, it is a fairly simple question, should bucket fill texture packs be considered spam?

What a bucket fill pack is:
A bucket fill pack is a texture pack where the blocks contain only 1-2 colors, and are not shaded at all. A fantastic example would be disco's oCd pack.

Why should they be considered spam?:
There are literally thousands of these packs on PMC, and the number of them grows each day. More of these packs are posted than stolen/remix packs, yet they are not considered spam. Obviously, we want to have at least moderate quality submissions on the site, and these packs take even a beginner texturer only a few days at most. Also, it is difficult to tell whether or not these packs contain stolen textures because, well, they all look the exact same. So pretty much, they are unoriginal, and lazy.

What types of bucket fill/simple packs would be allowed?:
There are many great simple packs out there. As a matter of a fact, simple packs are my favorite type of pack. What a simple pack would need to qualify to be on the site would be mostly shading, original colors, etc.. Pretty much, the pack has to be unique. For some examples, look at Steelfeather's Dandelion, my Bluebird, or NorthenerSouth's Puffy Lines. These packs are all original, and would be allowed because they have at least some shading, and a significant ammount of effort put into them. If you want any more examples, take a look at the simple pack showdown on Minecraft Forums. It was an event that Steelfeathers and I organized to challenge the community to make great simple packs.

What would happen if they were considered spam?:
Well, we wouldn't want to kill of some of the more popular packs like oCd with a new rule, so packs that were posted before the rule would be allowed to freely update and such just like they were before. Pretty much, saying that bucket fill packs would be considered spam would be just cutting the thousands of identical looking ones out of the site.

So, what do you think? Should these insanely similar packs (That there are thousands of already) be disallowed, or should they not? Please vote in t he poll and tell me what you think in the comment section below.
peytonisgreat
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Meme

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ASF
08/05/2013 1:13 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
peytonisgreatoCd is by definition a bucket fill pack.
I mean, it is a single color with an outline.

That may be true for some of the textures, but definitely not all of them.
Also, can someone explain how a texture pack like oCd is so popular?
pikakill41
08/04/2013 5:59 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
I agree with Azie.
fyromaster
08/04/2013 5:57 pm
Level 23 : Expert Geek
Art is art, and you are no one to judge whether or not what people make is art.

Abstract is very in, I think, and minimalism is popular.
Azie
08/04/2013 5:55 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
There's a difference between bucket fill and simple packs. Ocd is a very nice simple pack. When I think of a bucket fill pack, it is something that is very few colors and is obviously not thought out at all. When it comes to determining spam, the rules are unfortunately not cut and dry.
Nice7
08/04/2013 5:50 pm
Level 40 : Master Fish
I really agree with you on this.
Although with grandfathering, I think they said you can't update the submission, once the rules have been changed against it (If that makes sense). So if they did go through with this, the oCd pack and others would have to stay on its MC release.
peytonisgreat
08/05/2013 12:57 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Meme
Perhaps they would make an exception. The whole point of a rule regarding them as spam would be just to reduce the number of the extremely bad ones, not really eliminate all of them.
oCd has enough of a concept that I think it would be able to stay.
AzieThere's a difference between bucket fill and simple packs. Ocd is a very nice simple pack. When I think of a bucket fill pack, it is something that is very few colors and is obviously not thought out at all. When it comes to determining spam, the rules are unfortunately not cut and dry.

I hate to argue with a moderator, but oCd is by definition a bucket fill pack.
I mean, it is a single color with an outline. I personally do not like it at all, but there are people who do, however, so many packs copy it, so there are hundreds of ocd clones on the site.
fyromasterArt is art, and you are no one to judge whether or not what people make is art.

Abstract is very in, I think, and minimalism is popular.

I am not judging whether or not what they are creating is art. I am however saying that there does need to be a reduced amount of these packs. I have seen thousands of these packs over the years, and there are a lot more of them posted every day.
Perhaps this could make you see things how most people see it.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191 ... inimalism/
LeafNode
08/03/2013 11:01 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ninja
There are a couple of exceptions.

But, for the most part, if all the blocks are 1 color, not even beveled, they should be considered spam. There's only so much you can do with 1 color.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome