How to do hair on skins?

PepperSalami's Avatar PepperSalami1/26/21 5:19 pm history
1/28/2021 12:57 pm
MinecraftBanana789's Avatar MinecraftBanana789
Im starting to make skins more often these days but I completely suck at making the hair, is there any guide for that? I'm particularly stumped on making a thick mohawkish hair, like in this reference picture : imgur.com/a/rhbpTdf
PepperSalami
Level 22 : Expert Pig

Create an account or sign in to comment.

MinecraftBanana789
01/28/2021 12:57 pm
Level 28 : Expert Procrastinator
If you are using the PMC Skin 3D thing, then using the "noise" function and turning the intensity up a lot if you want it to look realistic
iNomarsiii
01/28/2021 10:31 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Taco
I recommend that you do a simple shading then start to detail it more until you get to one that you like (that's what I did to create my hair shading style) another thing you could do is get inspired by other shading styles
bianagirl
01/28/2021 10:24 am
Level 40 : Master Taco
umm... for me, th hair is the easiest part... i just recommend watching vids on hair shading '--'

hope that helps....
BananaBreadRocks
01/28/2021 10:18 am
Level 27 : Expert Procrastinator
Not sure if this helps, but I would recommend watching a skin making video, speed coloring or something. You can search up the general style the hair goes with, for example, Mohawk I would search punk or grunge, something along those lines, and watch how they color! Make sure to make it your own too! :)
-July-
01/28/2021 10:18 am
Level 39 : Artisan Button Pusher
Tbh I'm not too good at shading hair myself, but I usually use different shades of the same color to make random stripes, and a lot of them. For a thick mohawkish hair, use the second layer of pixels (the hat) to your advantage, do a lot of it if you want really thick hair, maybe. I haven't tested that idea out but I think it will probably work.
GOLDTHEBEST155264
01/28/2021 9:56 am
Level 29 : Expert Imposter
Just do hair easy peezy
FlizAltiya
01/28/2021 8:57 am
Level 24 : Expert Skinner
For the shape of the hair, the best way to find a suitable hairstyle is to experiment, slowly altering what you got until you've found something that fits what you have in mind.
As for shading, I'm not that good so I can't give you much advice

P.S. The hair on the character in the reference is likely going to be difficult to portray in a Minecraft skin due to you being limited in terms of 3d shape.
Papa Enny
01/27/2021 5:10 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Use a second layer and try to paint them(hair)
PepperSalami
01/28/2021 8:14 am
Well I already am using the second layer
Papa Enny
01/28/2021 12:36 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Good

And try to make a little practise(short hair, then long)
BlueErosion
01/26/2021 9:42 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Prince
Hey! Like somebody else said, your link doesn't work unfortunately.

But besides that, with hair I think what you need to do is take a look at skins that you like the hair of and try to mimic their shading style. For hair, using anywhere from 3-6 shades is best in my personal opinion. I always use 4-5 shades. You start with a color and make sure each shade of that color contrasts from the others enough. When you're shading hair, you can start by either putting down the lightest shade or the darkest shade first. I usually cover the section I'm working on, (like one side of the head) in a different color so I can see what I'm doing.

You want the lighter shades to be bordered by the darker shades. It's best to think about where your source of light is coming from and how that casts shadows. (The darkest shades will be your shadows.) I haven't seen any "guides" for it, but when you're doing hair the way you shade it is what makes it different and look like different styles. If I was going to do a mow-hawk, I would need three palettes. The palette for the skin of the skin, the palette of the "shaved" sections of hair, and the palette of the thicker mow-hawk part of the hair. Each of those would have 3-6 shades depending on your style (more simplistic, more detailed etc). I'd outline the shape of the hair, then I'd outline the overlays for the hair, and then I'd shade those sections one at a time.
PepperSalami
01/27/2021 4:36 am
Ohh okay thank you and Im not sure on how to make a smooth lighting on the skin without it looking weird in-game, so i typically do a "shadowless" character. And thats some good advice so I will try it out.

And I have uploaded the pic to imgur now and updated my post.
char-png
01/26/2021 5:45 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
The image doesn't work, try downloading it and uploading it to imgur, for some reason almost no images from wikia.com work on PMC

About your question, idk lol, I'm also bad with hair, maybe try looking at other skins
PepperSalami
01/27/2021 4:37 am
I have finally uploaded my pic to imgur and I dont see many types of hairstyles for skins tbh. And that's why I usually do bald characters but Im trying to expand my skin making now .
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome