Canvas Journal #1 || A new beginedit

Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter8/1/20 5:23 am history
5 emeralds 203 1
8/1/2020 8:04 am
The ExiIed FeIIow's Avatar The ExiIed FeIIow

A new begin

Two weeks ago I started this forum thread. Not soon after I spun up a server and started developing. The main mechanic of the server is being able to draw wherever and whatever on a big single layer world, which is the canvas. The idea was inspired by r/place, a 3 year old event that allowed anyone to place pixels on the big white screen. In this thread I want to talk about the current state of the Canvas as a first edition of the weekly journal I'm planning to make. There are a few interesting things to talk about, since my discord members and subscribers have played on it for one and a half weeks to test things out and help improve the server.

It all started with a big white canvas and the ability to pick any color to draw.

It didn't take long for drawings to appear in the spawn area. Of course it went through a couple iterations, but this is what it looks like currently:

As you might have noticed, the server is infested with feet! It doesn't matter what the drawing is, it always seems to get these mysterious feet. And needless to say, people with too many time on their hands started joining in. Let's start with the Pokémon made by nowhed:

And a frame from the classic Mario game by RedFuzzyTurtle:

Even PewDiePie made it onto the canvas (FLOOR GANG OUGH!):

Animal Crossing appeared too, mainly drawn by Vellaris and nowhed:

And there are a couple other noteworthy mentions:

The server ip and features can be found here, but since this is the first journal I'll mention what the server has to offer here as well.
  • Draw with all 16 colors.
  • Ability to make blocks stronger. A block must be weakened the same amount it was strengthened in order for its color to change.
  • Completely vanilla, resulting in fast version updates.
  • Spectator mode on demand.
  • Create banners to represent yourself or a team. This is me and pettyGamingHD holding our banners:
  • PvP is enabled outside spawn area. Active players will be stronger than others.
  • Teleport to center any time.
  • No assigned content Moderators. Draw anything, anywhere. It's up to the community to moderate other players. Hacks are not allowed.
  • Create maps for archiving purposes. Every now and then those maps will be parsed using home-made software to generate big images. Sometimes the map data (from map items) will be published too, allowing anyone to pan across the map using the software.
Note that Canvas is using free servers for now, meaning that it'll have to be renewed every now and then at skynode.gg/canvas. You'll get rewarded with speed :)

Join with 1.16.1 on play.mccanvas.gq

And like I said, all map items that have been made will show up in generated images, so here we go, the entire canvas in 1 picture:

Bertiecrafter
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer