Minecraft Plus (Satirical Minecraft Overhaul) Idea Submissions! (This is/isn't a joke)child_care

Mindthemoods's Avatar Mindthemoods10/24/23 10:57 pm
5 emeralds 180 2
10/25/2023 10:19 am
Mindthemoods's Avatar Mindthemoods
So I've been modding for a while, and having done so, have developed a couple of general rules of thumb whenever I'm considering new ideas, with the (supposed) goal of avoiding pointless feature creep, and making decent Vanilla+ features:
  • Integrate ideas into existing systems. (A good idea can add something cool, but also add cool new uses for other underapreciated parts of the game.)
  • Fill niches or create new ones. (Don't just add stuff because it seems cool, or looks nice; come up with meaningful uses to justify an idea's existence as more than purely cosmetic.)
  • Try to maintain vanilla vibes. (Make new stuff in a way that feels at least somewhat in keeping with the rest of the game's design principles. Good ideas should expand upon and enhance the game, not clash or overrule it. This also means not making a new system so much more complex than existing vanilla systems as to overshadow them. Looking at you, Farmer's Delight.)
I hardly stick to my own principles all the time, but they've served me well thusfar. None of this, however, is important, because I want to make a joke mod that breaks every rule in the book.

The idea is to make a supposedly 'Vanilla+' mod that incorporates such a ridiculously overwhelming amount of new content as to be totally absurd. Each feature should either be pointless, repetitive, overpowered, underpowered, comedically problematic in design, or some combination thereof; but with the same level of quality I'd put towards other mods. (So with nice minecrafty textures, sound effects, etc; for ideas that are very, very non-minecrafty.)

For example, (some stuff I've been tinkering with thusfar):
  • A ridiculously elaborate confectionary system that exclusively makes foods that decrease your hunger. (Because sweets are bad for you.)
  • Several dozen new ores and gemstones, none of which actually have any uses besides smelted and raw block variants.
  • A 'realistic' diamond mining system in which diamond ore drops dust... that can be crafted into diamond nuggets... that can be crafted into diamond shards... that wind up necessitating a stupid quantity of diamond ore to get a single diamond.
  • The ability to craft a wide variety of new building materials... out of TNT. All of which explode in slightly different, but equally explosive ways.
  • 'Lucky' blocks that exclusively punish the player for interacting with them,
  • Dozens and dozens of flashy collectible trading cards, none of which have any actual in-game use or value.
  • New biomes that range from totally useless to completely breaking vanilla progression. (Such as an intricate, highly detailed biome made exclusively of diorite; or a forest in which everything is made entirely of rare gems and late-game materials.)
  • ...And so on and so forth, with the goal of being as excessive, overwhelming, confusing, and generally hilarious as possible.

To make a long story short, I can only come up with so many good bad ideas myself, and am happy to solicit random strangers on the internet for ideas. (And credit if I wind up adding your idea to the mod.) To be clear, I'm looking for good bad ideas: ideas that are poorly thought out, problematic, excessive, etc; but in a way that's nuanced, satirical, or otherwise amusing.
Mindthemoods
Level 40 : Master Scribe