The appeal of Minecraft - the natural desire to build

source5578's Avatar source55785/8/24 5:26 pm
5/11/2024 5:12 pm
amateurpainter32's Avatar amateurpainter32
Besides the creative aspect of building castles and the like, I'm thinking how Minecraft, and games that use a similar base-building mechanic, tap into humans' natural desire to build homes and shelters. Historically we had to build huts and the like but in the modern day most people live in a house/flat that they didn't build, using designs that those who built it didn't design. You work in a job that, unless you freelance/are boss, is run by someone else, live in artificial environments etc. In short, you have little control over your environment and didn't make much or any of it.

Base building, even a basic hut, taps into our desire to build a home to our own design, from our own effort. To work your way from the ground up (especially with mods such as ex nihilo).

Thoughts?
source5578
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

amateurpainter32
05/11/2024 5:12 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
Exactly, this desire to build got me into architecture and eventually led me to learning 3D modeling. Except Minecraft didn‘t play a big role in it. I find building in Minecraft a useless waste of time, though it can be fun.
ScotsMiser
05/08/2024 7:14 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
I expect that's a part of the attraction (I'vve seen a number of UTbe channels over the years that prominently featured the idea of the player – in SSP – lounging in a hot tub or similar).

I suspect that the basic desire to be able to point to something and say "I did that" which seems to drive even very young children to enjoy both building toys (blocks, tinkertoys, etc.) and art (paint, clay, and the like) is also a factor.

MC builds being electronic offers the further advantage that one doesn;t run out of room for diplaying ones work (something that happens surprisingly fast if one takes up painting, pottery, or woodworking).
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome