Ender Chests are Great, Except for One Thing...

Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum11/30/23 5:45 pm history
12/9/2023 3:59 am
Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum
By now you should be familiar with the Ender Chest. It's so useful for storing items in a remote area than you can access anywhere so long as you have one on you. However, the one problem that Ender Chests still have is the Silk Touch requirement.

Silk Touch is fine for many other things: mining stone, coral blocks, ice, glass, etc. The enchantment clearly represents a milestone in the player's progression of skill and collection in survival. On the other hand, the Ender Chest on its own is a great reward, especially when you craft multiple chests for several bases and favorite locations, and even for managing inventory space while traveling. This is all ruined when I mix up 2 enchanted pickaxes that look identical at a glance, and mine an Ender Chest without Silk Touch.

For further context, the Ender Chest has had the Silk Touch requirement since snapshot 12w24a, from update 1.3.1 (talk about old.) Shulker Boxes, another valuable kind of storage block, were added in 1.11, and yet they don't require Silk Touch. While Shulker Shells are hard to obtain and could be considered and endgame item, Shulkers can be duplicated by getting hit with their own bullets, so the resource is renewable. Ender Chests don't just require obsidian, which they drop when broken without Silk Touch. They need Eyes of Ender, which require Ender Pearls and Blaze Powder to make. Pearls can be obtained from a cleric villager's trade as well as from Endermen, but Blaze Powder requires rods from Blazes, which are a real pain to fight in a dangerous dimension unless you're one of those few players with the time and patience to build a farm that actually works.

So in summary, Silk Touching an ender chest sucks because all it takes is one f***up with the wrong pickaxe to lose the chest. It may not be so bad at a home base, but it's terrible when you're out mining and grinding and you lose your only access to clean up your inventory. When I do have Shulker Boxes, I like to store those in an Ender Chest which I keep in my inventory so I can grab what I need and store what I don't need to free up space. Losing an Ender Chest to an imposter pickaxe at that point seems too cruel of a punishment for making human mistakes. I'll lose items to lava any day rather than destroy another Ender Chest.

If you agree, check out this thread on the Minecraft Feedback site and vote so it can be heard.
Dermugettum
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

TheDiamondPlayables
12/08/2023 12:59 am
Level 82 : Elite Programmer
history
Never have your Fortune pickaxe, unless you're actually using it.
Once you're done using Fortune just put it back in the Ender Chest to make sure that never happens.

Also, for any blaze fights: Get fire resistance.
You can get those without having to brew a Potion nowadays.
Vanilla bartering is kinda OP in and of itself.
Dermugettum
12/09/2023 3:59 am
I've been fortune-mining almost every ore I come across when I'm strip mining or even exploring caves. I just so happen to be using copper for a build I'm working on, and I always want to be sure I have enough redstone for when I need it. So no, I can't just toss my Fortune enchanted pickaxe into an Ender Chest when there's ores to mine at every corner. It also saves durability for my Silk Touch pickaxe when mining through the bulk stone that's in my path, and I can always compact ores even after I've fortune-mined them, thanks to the Raw Ore blocks that were added.

Which brings me back to the Ender Chest, which solves all my inventory problems when that stuff piles up. Additionally, I like having an Ender Chest and both kinds of enchanted pickaxes on me cause I can spend hours mining for valuables when nothing else is on the agenda. Food and torches are still needed of course, but once I've reached a point where I can stock up slots of them in shulker boxes which are then stored in an Ender Chest, I can just go on a mining spree.
MinecraftWubbox
12/05/2023 2:54 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Unicorn
Yeah, all I get is 8 obsidian. I don't even get my eye of ender back.
Dermugettum
12/07/2023 11:54 pm
history
Thank you. At least someone gets my point.
FlintN_Steel
12/05/2023 2:36 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
I never get far enough into the game to get an Ender Chest, and I never knew this so,
thanks for warning me before I get one just to break it, also, THIS SUCKS.
weisboys
12/05/2023 2:20 pm
Level 21 : Expert Taco
I guess I don't usually have this problem since I name all my tools strange and recognizable things so I keep track lol

I do wish it was easier to tell the difference between several enchanted tools of the same type though.
ScotsMiser
12/05/2023 3:51 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
Agree wih both points
ScotsMiser
11/30/2023 11:46 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
history
I think you are looking at the issue from the wrong angle: the problem is not so much that ender chests require SilkTouch to recover, but that various enchanted tools look too much alike…

Naming differences can help make which you have in hand easier (i.e. 'ST' vs. 'Fourtune III Pickaxe' ), but…
being able to color enchanted items (at least to the 16 wool colors rather than the leather armor system) would be advantageous.
(This would also fix the similar problems with glass etc.)

A note on ender chests use:
One can use these early game without silk touch as ender pearls are reasonably easy to obtain (even without trading) and getting blaze rods from a spawner requires grind, but no particular risk (unless on wants a high drop rate).
Under these conditions, ender chests can be quite useful, but one is limited to treating them as 'permanent'.
tuxedomeow
11/30/2023 11:09 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Architect
ehh, its fine, it litterly says it in the name "ender chest", and endermen AND ender pearls teleport, so it makes sense for a ender chests can teleport your items
Dermugettum
11/30/2023 11:30 pm
What does teleporting items have to do with this? I'm not worried about losing items in the Ender Chest, I'm concerned about inventory space when mining, and how frustrating it is to lose all that space when the chest I'm carrying is accidentally broken into obsidian.
ItzOrangey
12/05/2023 2:23 pm
Level 41 : Master Wolf
a practice a lot of players use is carrying multiple echests, up to even a stack, so that they can place them around and leave them, etc
Dermugettum
12/07/2023 11:54 pm
Pretty risky when you could die though.
TorenokRed
11/30/2023 11:03 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Explorer
I would say leave it as is. It hasn't really been that much of an issue with me. I do see your point though, it can be a bit annoying to accidentally break the E-chest when you didn't want too. Some thing I do when dealing with them.

1. use only silk touch picks while exploring/raiding
2. Carry a spare. (two is one, one is none)
Dermugettum
11/30/2023 11:32 pm
Usually I'm carrying a Fortune pickaxe with my Silk Touch pick, since the two can't be combined. Besides, I don't have a way to track where a good ore vein is when I'm strip mining, so I just mine them on the spot when I find them.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome