Do "Minecraft server websites" really have the authority to charge people money?

FactorPac's Avatar FactorPac7/2/23 11:37 am
7/2/2023 6:52 pm
BloonsDoom's Avatar BloonsDoom
Minecraft server websites are websites that you can pay money to host a server for you. But who are these people? do they actually have the authority to charge people money for doing this? because most of them Cleary do not work at Mojang, meaning theoretically, anyone could start a Minecraft server for free by doing it themselves. So if it's true that these are just everyday people who can do it for free themselves, then they are scamming you and stealing your money. But if anyone knows anything more about this, then please write it in this discussion thread.
FactorPac
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

BloonsDoom
07/02/2023 6:52 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
They are renting out the hardware for minecraft servers, not the software. The software is free for anyone to use, whereas the hardware costs time and money to maintain on top of the initial investment. If you think they are scams, your wrong.

If you want to go through the process of setting up port forwarding, a dedicated server with 24/7 uptime, basic ddos protection, automatic backups, and go through the process of maintaining it, be my guest. If you don't want to, or far more likely can't, you can rent a server or just play on any available ones with your friends.
Meat_Mallet
07/02/2023 4:32 pm
Level 42 : Master Engineer
Anyone has the right to charge for any service, as long as both parties are consenting. (with some exceptions of course)
FactorPac
07/02/2023 3:53 pm
history
I've been seeing comments saying that the Minecraft server websites are in fact not a scam. these people are right, most of the websites are convenient and helpful. I'm talking about the ones that charge outrageously high prices like 80 or even 300 dollars a month just for 50 player slots.
ItzOrangey
07/02/2023 2:45 pm
Level 41 : Master Wolf
It costs money to buy the computers to host it, electricity, upkeep, etc.
It is not a scam at all...
EmuRequiem
07/02/2023 1:35 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Lad
To have a server that can support many people and many things happening at once you need good hardware and a stable connection. If you don't have that yourself, you pay for it.
Let's take for example, and I know it's an extreme case, 2b2t, the server files take like 20TB of space so just maintaining it is a nightmare. Not everyone has the ability to host something like that
michaelo
07/02/2023 1:05 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Chef
Server websites offer convenience. I wouldn't have a clue how to get a server to work, and it would take me quite a long time to understand everything behind them, learn how to set it all up, and get one all working and maintain it. Personally I would much rather just pay some people 10 pounds to do it for me, get a nice interface where I can manage the whole server really easily, and get support whenever I need it.

There's also the hardware required, a lot of people won't reasonably be able to host on their own computers. These websites have computers specifically to only run Minecraft servers. And they will probably do it a lot better than if you ran it yourself.

I do think a lot overcharge though, and most of the time you don't need a super swanky server, just one that runs well enough. If you're only playing one night with your friends you can just boot up an Aternos server quickly, or there are mods where you can open your LAN server to public. I do wish that was part of the vanilla game.
EarthySpruce
07/02/2023 11:43 am
Level 30 : Artisan Nerd
Well, I think it’s for if you can’t do it yourself. You are paying for their time
EarthySpruce
07/02/2023 11:43 am
I would make sure it’s a reputable site though
FactorPac
07/02/2023 11:45 am
that sounds pretty reasonable for some of the cheaper ones, but some of them are charging like 80 dollars a month
EarthySpruce
07/02/2023 11:50 am
Wow, that is a lot XD
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome