Copyright Concerns

CommanderNeville's Avatar CommanderNeville9/8/16 5:12 pm
9/12/2016 9:48 pm
skeletonsteve's Avatar skeletonsteve
Hello, this is CommanderNeville and I am currently working on a GTA V Minecraft adventure map. However, I am concerned with the legality of doing this. The map so far includes names and places from GTA V, and is also set to include characters from the game as well. I am horribly worried that I might run into legal trouble if I eventually release the map. The map will of course be released for free and without any possibility of profit, yet I am still concerned I might run into a problem. Please, if you have run into a problem like this before or know anything about this issue, please respond.
Thank you!
CommanderNeville
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

skeletonsteve
09/12/2016 9:48 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
You don't have to worry about copyright infringement unless you're making money off of it. Selling your map? Not likely. No problem.
Leeberator
09/09/2016 9:51 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Rockstar hasn't taken down any other GTA V-related Minecraft content, so I think you're safe.
raidarr
09/09/2016 9:43 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
If you want to be extremely careful, sure. But there simply haven't been problems on the topic that I can recall...
CommanderNeville
09/09/2016 6:57 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
Thank you everyone for all the responses! I've decided to go ahead with the map. Since Snowy mentioned it being infringement if I use the IP without their consent, would it be a good idea to ask Rockstar themselves for the go-ahead? I assume they would not have a problem with it, since it is not for profit and will not be an exact copy of the game.
Caporal Dxl
09/09/2016 3:18 am
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
There are many other maps consisting in different other games in Minecraft, and none of them have copyright concerns around them. So I think you should be good to go with it!
Ash
09/09/2016 2:27 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Chances of you getting sued are slim, but it's still considered copyright infringement if you use their IP without consent.
Halorules555
09/09/2016 1:55 am
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
It's perfectly legal as you aren't stealing any assets. It's as safe as doing a letsplays of GTA V.
JozyP
09/09/2016 1:45 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
It's fine, they aren't gonna sue you for that.
raidarr
09/09/2016 12:50 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
If people can get away with making battlemechs in minecraft, with BattleTech being one of the more suehappy franchises, you'll be fine.
TastyYoghurt
09/08/2016 5:35 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Explorer
You'll probably be fine. This doesn't sound too different from, say, writing fanfiction or drawing fanart, and those things are perfectly fine and legal in 99.9% of cases. To be honest, you could even get away with lots of things that aren't actually legal, as you don't attract too much attention and the copyright holders don't find out.
Z3R0Games
09/08/2016 5:26 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
The only problem I think would be using characters from the game though it would probably be fine
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome