To all experienced datapackers: how to get better?brightness_6

littl3vampire's Avatar littl3vampire7/29/23 11:49 am history
7/31/2023 3:12 pm
deeveesss's Avatar deeveesss
Hello everyone.

Looking at guides in here such as The Data Pack Knowledge Book and many youtube tutorials, it is very easy to "get started" in developing datapacks.

Now, my issue here is once this level of refinement is conquered, it is very hard to get into the intermediate level of skill. With all respect and thanks to all those tutorials, they seem to only cover beginners guide and leave at it.

When I look at more complex tutorials tho, they are all already in the advanced level and it feels hard to understand, test out or take something out of the data.

Do any of you know of any course, tutorial or documentation that covers Intermediate Level datapacking?
littl3vampire
Level 26 : Expert Spider Rider

Create an account or sign in to comment.

michaelo
07/30/2023 11:44 am
Level 32 : Artisan Chef
history
I would really recommend joining the Minecraft Commands discord (link on their reddit page, or I could send you an invite). Whenever I have an issue or am just curious about something, the first thing I usually do is use the search bar in that server to try find an answer as it's likely someone else has asked the same thing before you. Sometimes you might have a specific thing which doesn't produce any results from the search, but you will at least be able to find something related to the topic. If you're still stuck you can simply just make you're own help post, everyone there is super helpful and knowledgeable! I've spent many many hours reading through help threads and various conversations people have had there, you come across lots of neat tricks and learn lots of things you would be unlikely to come across otherwise, even if they're not directly related to what you're doing at the moment.

You may well already be doing this, but it's always easier when you have to learn how to do something because it's needed for a project. For example, I could never get my head around using the data command until I actually needed to use it in my projects. I'd watched lots of videos on it and looked at other people's code, but actually using it myself and troubleshooting my own code was what helped, not learning for the sake of it. When I first started I actually learnt most things through creating mini games for my friends, but I'm sure this applies to data packs in the same way.

I'd second what others have said on this post so far as well! Hope our comments help in some way :)
littl3vampire
07/30/2023 2:15 pm
Thank you so much, I'd really like that invite!
michaelo
07/30/2023 3:05 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Chef
I think this should work: https://discord.gg/QAFXFtZ
littl3vampire
07/30/2023 4:28 pm
Worked fine! Thank you!
imalittlhigh
07/30/2023 9:47 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
Heyo, my advice would be to just think of a concept and try to realize it. Anything rly, something nice for survival, or something thats maybe in another game, and replicate it.

Here are some resources to look into and check out what things you can do with minecrafts systems (advancements, predicates, etc):

https://mcstacker.net/

https://misode.github.io/

https://nixinova.netlify.app/tools/minecraft/converters/bundle

https://eszesbalint.github.io/bdstudio/editor

Especially with misode, just klick around and read what conditions there are and what you could use them for.

Also if you see a nice/interesting datapack here, just download it and have a look at the code to see how other ppl do things.
littl3vampire
07/30/2023 2:17 pm
I checked it out and there are a lot of cool stuff there! Thank you for all that documentation!

I tried oppening some of the cool datapacks I saw. I feel like it will be much easier with those links to clarify the coding.
deeveesss
07/31/2023 3:12 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Birb
history
I'll second looking at how others do things. I like to call that "on the job training." I'll also shout out Cloud Wolf on YouTube because he's got a wealth of knowledge on intermediate and advanced datapack topics, and in my opinion popularized modern raycast methods for datapacks. There are a lot of other youtubers who do similar video tutorials with different topics and methods too.

As far as commenting goes, I try to make an effort to comment what I'm doing with some of mine but tend to lose track when I zone in on specific things. I think it's something that's more of a rarity in the creation scene and you'll see more of that in the tutorial series type of stuff on youtube and the associated materials they usually include linked in video descriptions.

There does come a point after working with the commands and JSON structures with advancements for so long that you can start to glance over things to see how a developer is going about doing things. But I think getting to that point just comes with time and patience while working on different projects.
imalittlhigh
07/30/2023 5:14 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
most ppl dont rly comment their code ^^ I only do it when i know im taking a break from working on it so i know what i did there when i come back

If you have any questions or something feel free do msg me on discord =)
littl3vampire
07/31/2023 10:09 am
Thank you so much, I surely will xD

I myself comment EVERYTHING. If I don't, I forget what code is about xD
Spuduking
07/30/2023 12:19 am
Level 32 : Artisan Procrastinator
The best course of action I can think of is trial and error, with healthy doses of patience and research.

What I did was come up with an idea, and try to find relevant tutorials that could help me create it. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation for more difficult topics such as custom world generation. I had to figure stuff out mostly with trial and error, which got very frustrating at times. Stick with it though, its worth it.

You can also learn a lot by playing with tools and joining communities, so you may want to look here: https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/datapacking-in-depth-helpful-and-interesting-links-for-datapackers-did-1/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome