[SOLVED] Recommended rate-limit for a (vanilla) server

Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter8/11/20 7:25 pm
8/12/2020 8:20 am
Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter
Vanilla 1.16.2 just had a new option added that can kick players if they send too many packets per second. Can somebody recommend me a value? Perhaps plugin servers already had these options and somebody could copy/paste the values from those config files?
Bertiecrafter
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Bertiecrafter
08/12/2020 8:20 am
flag So I set up a test server to figure it out myself. I gave myself haste 100, poison, regeneration and spun my mouse around like crazy, so that I could break tons of blocks, have constant damage inflicted and move my head in crazy directions. I assume packets are sent by user input, not other entities simply existing. I did a seperate test with ~1500 cows and it doesn't seem to set the rate-limit off.

Anyways, after numerous kicks and server reboots, I seem to be able to spam packets up to 80 p/s. Soooo if you set your rate-limit to 200 (to allow for connection catch-up) you should be fine for any server type. (I don't think you can PVP click faster than I can mine with haste 100)
One_Nose
08/11/2020 11:56 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Hero
This option is made so people won't crash the game by blowing up tons of TNT. It's irrelevant in your server, because everyone is in adventure/spectator and there are no blocks/entities/items that can even get close to too many packets. I suggest you to keep this on 0.
One_Nose
08/12/2020 12:09 am
history
But if you still want to limit it, here is a quote from the most popular packet limiting plugin:
I found that while testing on 1.13, I could send about ~40,000 move packets to the server and either take it down or make it lag very hard due to the processing of the move packets on the server thread.
You should try half this number, that means 20,000. It's probably larger than you need because the individual players sends a negligible amount of packets. But just to be sure, add to the kick message a request to inform you about the issue, so you can enlarge that number if it's too low.
Bertiecrafter
08/12/2020 4:50 am
Kick message can't be changed on a vanilla server, but the papermc server has a rate limit option with a default of 300. Sooo I'll have to figure out which one is the dumb one xD

Yes I know that normal gameplay is nothing to worry about, but I'd like to protect myself from malicious clients.
One_Nose
08/12/2020 8:06 am
Kick messages can be changed easily.
kick <target> [<reason>]See Minecraft Wiki article.
Bertiecrafter
08/12/2020 8:11 am
What are you talking about? XD I'm talking about a new mechanism in server.properties that makes the server kick anyone who sends too many packets. Since it's baked into the software (it's not me doing /kick) the messages can't be changed.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome