Thoughts on 1.21

Darkfap's Avatar Darkfap3/14/24 12:37 pm
10 emeralds 300 27
5/2/2024 8:19 am
mega7's Avatar mega7
So, since 1.21's annoucement, Mojang has announced Armadilloes, wolf armor, different wolf types, trial chambers, Breezes, wind charges, and now Breeze Rods and Maces.

Are you excited yet?
Darkfap
Level 44 : Master Procrastinator

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/15/2024 1:08 pm
Level 45 : Master Cupcake
mega7
The new gameplay features in my opinion are so mid and my opinion has been like that since 1.16, The last good update minecraft had.
But i must admit that i am very pleased with the technical changes & additions that are coming. So i won't complain.
03/15/2024 6:23 pm
Darkfap
I'm the same way.
03/15/2024 5:13 pmhistory
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
You're better off than I…
Since 1.12, the bar for 'success' seems to have been lowered to "doesn't cusk things up too bad"…
03/16/2024 4:20 am
Level 45 : Master Cupcake
mega7
Though i do completely understand why older players from 2010 and 2011 and such wouldn't like updates such as 1.16, For me i have stated my opinion.
03/15/2024 12:00 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Pyro
Panda Gocarts3
Minecraft hasn't meant anything to me in a long time
03/15/2024 11:59 am
Level 32 : Artisan Chef
michaelo
I feel like there's an option missing between "mid" and YOOOOO HYPE lol. I like the new content, but I'm not going to rave about it. New weapon seems interesting though, I wonder if there'll be any changes to it in the coming weeks.
03/15/2024 12:22 pm
Darkfap
I'd add one, but it'd mess up all the votes.
03/15/2024 12:26 am
Level 31 : Artisan Miner
Cornbread_Alphanumeric
anyway, i'm just here to remind everyone that there hasn't been a single 1.21 snapshot yet. all the snapshots so far have been for minor 1.20 versions
03/14/2024 10:58 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Skinner
inzanely
i feel like it could be a decent update, and i'll probably enjoy a fair amount of the additions, but i still skeptical given mojang's recent update history
03/14/2024 2:43 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Isn't the armadillo for 1.20? It is confussing as schuk
03/15/2024 5:10 pm
ScotsMiser
Yeah, had to look that up…

In which update upcoming additions are scheduled to be included tends to blend together into a generic not_yet_maybe_the_next_one…. 😊
03/15/2024 12:24 am
Level 31 : Artisan Miner
Cornbread_Alphanumeric
armadillos and wolf armor are both planned for 1.20.5
03/15/2024 7:54 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
yeah
03/14/2024 2:18 pm
ScotsMiser
The first three strike me as essentailly harmless fan service (dog barding has been long requested as – to a lesser degree – have been dog skins).

The trial chambers, on the other hand, seem very much at odds with traditional MC.
The addition also seems very odd since they are more or less an MS/Mj approved form of drop farming. [​As we all know, drop farming is just item doop-ping by different means and is BadWrongFun™. ]

Depending on how the mace interacts with elytra, I can see it either being the new PvP-Devestator or another bit of special purpose kit that gets a lot of attention for a few months and then fades to relative obscurity. [​Anyone else rememberthe trident farm craze?]

These factors may also make control of trial chambers a new 'thing' on factions / competitive SMP servers.
03/14/2024 2:01 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Blockhead
Panda_Tyger
smh man minecrafters suck

why is everyone always wanting more and more?
Mojang is adding, dog versions which we've always wanted, dog armor, which we've always wanted, cool trial chambers, a new weapon which we always want new weapons, new mobs, everything that players always wanted and yet everyone doesn't like it? They all make fun of it and call it a bad update. and I don't get why cuz we're just greedy for some reasons.

I personally love it.
So must we all be greedy or can we just enjoy the cool update?
03/15/2024 1:18 amhistory
Level 38 : Artisan Enderdragon
Ender Sparkle
Then where is the End Updates we all waited for 8 years?
03/15/2024 8:08 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Blockhead
Panda_Tyger
Well what about the dog update we were wanting for even longer? Since dogs came out people wanted the update, Minecraft just doesn't want to do the same as all the mods, if they just make trees it's like ever other dimension. It's probably a lot harder then it seems and I'm sure they've tried the end update.
03/15/2024 8:53 am
Ender Sparkle
Look at the 1.17 onwards. 1.17 was small, just like 1.15. Everyone expected a beeg update after a small one. It was an unnoticed beginning of the End (I hope the End will finally happen, like the End update), and it had axolotls, so no one cared. 1.18 was the generation part. It was dissapointing, but only a little bit, because no one knew what was going to happen next. The Wild Mild Update. 1.19 infuriated with its small size the entire Minecraft community. Probably half of the update dissapeared into thin air only because random dude said that fireflies are poisonous to frogs. We wanted more. And we got 1.20. It's ok. Not bad - we got archeology, a fluffy dino and armor decor - but we expected more from a studio with 13 years of experience. And we are here; standing there, awaiting 1.21. The last big update was 1.16. And I know what started the fall: promotion of Lady Agnes. I understand - it's hard to adapt to a new rank. But it's been TWO YEARS. This should be enough for a sane human adult. One last thing: Wolves thrived in a constantly updated world. End? NOTHING. Only technical bug fixes. We've got so many early and mid-game content - and you see that is not the key to success. We need more post-Ender Dragon content. Elytra was added 8 years ago. We need to know what should we do next. And where is a better place to start than the End? (ironic...)
03/15/2024 1:14 am
Level 25 : Expert Ninja
MiniMutant
me too honestly. i dont care how op a mace is. its not changing pvp forever. i dont think all servers n stuff are going to use the mace as it is so op in the end.
03/14/2024 2:41 pmhistory
ScotsMiser
There are problems with that approach…

Everything added comes at a cost in terms of both:
☠  performance (which MS/Mj shows no interest in maintaining, much less improving), and
☠  opportunity (development resources spent on A can not be applied to B) [​At its most basic: added Armidillo = no Crab]

Additionally, recent updates have a history of breaking prior art [​water anything — 1.13 / villagers & iron farms — 1.14 / nether farms — 1.16 / slime chunk slime farms & anything dependant on build height — 1.17-19 (don't recall which part of the Mild Update actually changed this) ]

Even seemingly innocuous changes (i.e allowing Fortune to affect Cocoa bean harvests) can effectively kill interesting parts of the game (non-manual harvest cocoa farms in this case).
03/14/2024 1:30 pm
Ender Sparkle
I want End Update bro 😭
03/14/2024 2:08 pm
ScotsMiser
You are in numerous company, although I would prefer adding an new area reachable by traversing the end rather than altering that dimension.
03/14/2024 2:16 pm
Ender Sparkle
Hmm... Maybe both? Just kidding - Since Agnes became the boss they would never do that.
03/14/2024 12:55 pm
Level 20 : Expert Warrior
Echolynx
I was super excited for like, a day, and then calmed down.
And Idrc about the Breeze and stuff related to it that much.
Just the dogs and wolf armor.

I'll probably go find (teleport to, because I'm lazy) a trial chamber and then get bored after exploring it for a few hours.
03/14/2024 12:44 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Loremaster
IGEBM
Me and my friend had this theory that the reason all of the recent updates (everything past 1.18 or 1.19) have been so meh lately is because they’re working behind-the-scenes on a new, bigger update of 1.16 proportions, and it’s requiring more energy (hence why they just have all these small additions compiled into updates)

If that’s the case, I hope said big update is the long-awaited End Update
03/14/2024 2:06 pmhistory
ScotsMiser
I think that's rather panglossian (and I hope MS/Mj doesn't clutter the end like they did the nether in 1.16), but it would be very nice if something major was causing the lackluster updates...

A new dimension reachable through a new portal type in the bastion remnants [​which is how I think they should have added the 1.16 nether material] or some rough equivalent for the end strikes me as preferrable to ruining the classic emptiness of that dimension.

Of course, if the super secret long-term project is just bug fixes and performance upgrades, I'd also be quite happy 😇
03/14/2024 12:49 pm
Darkfap
Same. We need one of those.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome