Is math discovered or invented?

Wannabe Technoblade's Avatar Wannabe Technoblade5/21/21 12:14 pm
10 emeralds 282 22
5/24/2021 9:05 pm
Wannabe Technoblade's Avatar Wannabe Technoblade

Poll ended 06/10/2021 12:14 pm.

Wannabe Technoblade
Level 27 : Expert Pig

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Payaa
05/24/2021 7:57 pm
Level 37 : Artisan uwu
Come on guys it wasn't discovered it was invented LEARN UR SCHOOL HISTORY
Wannabe Technoblade
05/24/2021 8:43 pm
mmhmm, but as Descartes said, math is the source of all truth to science, and science isn't created, is it? truth isn't created, is it?
Payaa
05/24/2021 8:55 pm
Level 37 : Artisan uwu
The concept of science, well, kinda was created. It's just things having to do with science weren't created, but proven. Even though math and science are similar, it doesn't change the fact that math was created, and it is a human construct, to be more specific it was created by the early greeks. Despite anything that may change the fact, math, for like the millionth time, was created.
Wannabe Technoblade
05/24/2021 9:05 pm
but math is simply a truth. one rock and one rock making two rocks isnt created, its simply there. what is created is our expression of math. one rock and one rock making two rocks is expressed as 1+1=2
behind the symbols, numbers, and equations is something that is, and has been true in the universe for as long as we've been here.
MJ_mcMaster
05/24/2021 8:25 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
2) Math is a human construct.Mathematics is not discovered, it is invented. This is the non-Platonist position.
Tarnex
05/21/2021 2:41 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Engineer
Math is created, but works on rules that were discovered.
ChickenMac7
05/21/2021 2:19 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Artist
It depends on how you define math. If you're referring to universal laws/physics, then it was discovered. If you're referring to how we write/verbalize it, then it was created. For example, when we invented the clock, we didn't invent time. Time already existed, the clock is just our way of measuring it. Same thing for mathematics.
DinowCookie
05/21/2021 1:19 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
history
I don't hate you but I would surely like for you to stop confusing me 🙃
YokaiS
05/21/2021 1:11 pm
He/Him • Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai Peacock
history
Math was created by people as an explanation to things in life, which is why it's often used for science.

Was language discovered or created? Of course it was created, people made each character to communicate. Math is kind of like a universal language, but it's used to solve problems and show proof to explanations to things in science. Math didn't just exist and we just used it, humans made each symbol for themselves to calculate stuff
Wannabe Technoblade
05/21/2021 1:51 pm
Math is truth, and we don't need the all the complex signs and variable to be able to understand the concept.
HoboMaggot
05/21/2021 10:57 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
As a lot of other people said, math is used to solve a problem though.
What good is understanding the concept when you cant find the area under a curve or find out how fast a car is moving so you can calculate what you as the engineer can do to not kill the driver
Wannabe Technoblade
05/24/2021 8:19 am
you're thinking on too much of a complex level. the question isn't "How useful is math"

math is simply truth, its the source of truth for science, which is discovered, and if science is discovered, and math is it's source, as Descartes said, math has to be discovered.
anonpmc3426289
05/21/2021 1:04 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
[deleted]
nera minus
05/21/2021 2:16 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Caveman
orbits and gravity and area and volume are all perfect examples of math in nature
yeah, that's what Echo said, but I'm not reading all that lol
Echo4Al8RexCoco
05/21/2021 1:35 pm
Level 29 : Expert Musician
Actually, you fond matgmatical phenomena all the time in nature, such as the placement of the Earth. There's mathmatics involved in the orbit ot of planets. Let's look at science. Science cannot exist without math, nor math without science. This relationship is seen in labs, nature, and day to day life. The reason why it's tempting to say that humans created math is because it gives us a false sense of power that we do not possess. The same thing is seen in the theory of evolution and it's appeal. It appeals because there is no higher up telling us right from wrong so it gives a person a felling of false power. Life doesn't matter and you can't make an impact, so why try to live right? That's the mindset of a person who fully believes in evolution. As I've heard it said, "Evolution teaches people that they come from muck and are worth the ammount of that same muck." Yes, while believing in evolution means that literally anything you do is right, it's an illusion. In reality, you tell yourself and publicly say to the world you mean nothing. Whereas in Christianity, you have purpose and future as well as everything makes sense. When the universe was created, boundaries were set. These are the laws of physics and math. It explains why fossilized shells are seen on mountains, it explains why fossilized hats have been excavated, it even explains the landbridge that has just been recently found by scientists that connected India to Australia. It all comes together. Not to mention the sick being healed, the blind able to see, and waters being parted.
Supernova125
05/21/2021 12:50 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
I choose the Option "Cheese"
nera minus
05/21/2021 12:35 pm
think about language: it's literally just random sounds that we assign to ideas and feelings
math is the same thing: random symbols that we assigned to numbers and movements and imaginary behavior
I think that a better word to describe it is that we "defined" math
Wannabe Technoblade
05/21/2021 12:57 pm
math isn't just simply numbers and characters
math is an idea that is truth
i dont need a plus sign to be able to figure out that one rock and another rock is two rocks.
nera minus
05/21/2021 2:19 pm
"one rock and another rock is two rocks" is identical to 1+1=2, just in a different language with different symbols. they're two random signs that we decided to mean the same thing.
Math isn't just numbers and characters, that's exactly what I'm saying. but without our definition and recognition of math, it isn't defined, and we can't use it.
Math was defined the second that someone realized something moving continues to move, or that one hand has five fingers, or really anything.
Wannabe Technoblade
05/21/2021 2:43 pm
this makes a lot more sense when you change the word "defined" to discovered.
HoboMaggot
05/21/2021 10:58 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
I dont think humans "discovered" solutions to maths heavy stuff like quantum mechanics
JediJeffatHype
05/21/2021 12:26 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Sweetheart
no
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome