This site has a PvP pack problem...comment

Stridey's Avatar Stridey9/1/20 2:56 pm history
110 emeralds 2.1k 134
10/2/2020 7:38 pm
Cart3r's Avatar Cart3r
I'm a resource pack creator.
I love making resource packs and I believe my resource packs to be good in quality. I put a lot of effort and love into all my packs, especially my larger ones.

Due to the effort that I, and many other resource pack creators on this site put into their work, its starting to get really frustrating to see so many 'PvP resource packs' springing up each and every day in bulk.

The majority of these resource packs are the exact same concept, with pretty much the same textures too. Many users who create packs like these also spam the site with different variations of their packs; its very common to see the same PvP pack getting reuploaded multiple times but with something simple like a colour being changed. If you go to the texture pack page on this site right now, I can asure you you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Not only are users spamming these packs, but a lot of them have really misleading titles too. So many of these packs have something like "FPS", "FPS+", "FPS Boost" in their names, which (for the most part) its impossible for a resource pack to boost your game's performance or frames.

I'd like to see change here. Users should not be allowed to post the same pack over and over again and get away with it just because they changed something really insignificant. My proposals would be:
- Make a rule or even a built-in cooldown to stop users from posting packs within a certain timeframe of each other.
- Add a rule to combat misleading titles and previews for submissions. (As stated above, claiming that your pack boosts FPS is misleading.)
- Add more categories to resource packs. Right now we only have a select and very vague set of cateogries. We could have themed categories such as 'Fun', 'Vanilla', 'PvP', 'Cartoon', etc. Allow users to filter out or blacklist certain categories.

I've seen PvP packs that all look the same being spammed on this site for so long now, that PvP packs have become an extremely low effort type of resource pack in my eyes, but I wanted to keep this thread factual and unbiased and it would be unfair for me to ask that PvP are completely banned from the site.

I hope the possible solutions I've suggested might help, and hopefully a member of staff or even admin/dev will see this and take it into consideration.
Stridey
Level 82 : Elite Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ultrasquid9
10/02/2020 7:28 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Modder
I think pvp packs should just be banned entirely.
Cart3r
10/02/2020 7:38 pm
Level 44 : Master Artist
While most of them are generally low effort recolors/edits to vanilla textures, I have seen some that are actually good textures, so I don't think the entire category should be banned. The ones that should be banned should be the ones that are just lazy recolors/false claims of FPS boost
Pixelgon
09/13/2020 10:24 pm
Level 49 : Master Procrastinator
I would say, if you're gonna rerelease your pack, put a recolor/edit in the description of the original pack, and any revamps/major overhauls you might make of the pack be put in a seperate submission.
Mixtongent73
09/12/2020 11:36 pm
Level 43 : Master Carrot
This post is working!
Cart3r
09/13/2020 12:38 am
Yeah, not only are pvp packs their own category, but some of the high level users who recolor and reupload the same pack over and over are starting to be removed. Now all we need it some sort of filter to weed out all the FPS boost packs and reuploaded color variants of the same pack.
Pixelgon
09/13/2020 5:39 pm
Finally. Like I had said in a previous comment, this is why I don't reupload/recolor my packs!
Cart3r
09/13/2020 9:59 pm
yeah, but all the people who don't are drowned out by the ones who do because of the quantity of them, which sucks because among the thousands of trash packs, there are some good looking ones that are towards the bottom of the barrel in terms of views and downloads because they are swamped by all the low effort spammy/clickbaity ones. The situation is a positive feedback loop, where people who wan't to start making pvp packs are almost encouraged to recolor and repost their pack as to not get overcrowded by other people, which just keeps the cycle going.
Pixelgon
09/13/2020 10:22 pm
Yeah. The most popular one of My packs got was 2.1k views and 250 downloads, with 2 favourites and 6 diamonds.
iloveflareon
09/04/2020 12:47 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Sus
I recently thought about someting having to do with the whole FPS BOOST thingy. Obviously, the big packs get so much more views and downloads and it's hard for "smaller" packs [you know what i mean] to compete.

For example:

Look at this pack: https://www.planetminecraft.com/texture-pack/default-pvp-fps-16x/

and then this pack: https://www.planetminecraft.com/texture-pack/jackyharper-pvp-pack/

Quite a difference, and in my pack I didn't say anything about FPS boost or re-coloration, stuff like that.

And the views! Oh boy!
Cart3r
09/04/2020 10:20 pm
Yeah the FPS boost ones have got to go, all they are is just lies to get people to download, as none of them actually do anything performance wise, and funnily enough some of them would actually decrease fps on lower end devices, due to certain textures being higher res, or animated textures for things that don't need animation like swords
CenturianDoctor
09/04/2020 10:38 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
i swear theres like 2 million "mint PvP FPS+ boost" texture packs out there
Stridey
09/04/2020 7:22 am
Looks like we have a PvP category now! Certainly one step in the right direction. \o/
Pythagoras_314
09/11/2020 8:40 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pig
When you get a dev to comment on your thing in a positive way, you know you've done good.
Cart3r
09/11/2020 9:02 pm
Yeah the fact that not only pvp packs have their own category, but the people who constantly reupload the same pack with different color alterations are starting to get removed is great. It still kinda bothers me how some of these people have been posting variants of the same pack for years without anything done about it, but I'm glad to see stuff done about it now. It is frustrating that these people can reach the high levels, like the 60s and 70s, just by using practically the same pack. If you are proficient in image editing, you can recolor an entire pvp pack in only a few hours, depending on how many altered textures the pack has.
Pythagoras_314
09/11/2020 9:30 pm
Using Piskel, I can recolor all pixels of the same color. That could take that time down from several hours to 20-30 MINUTES.
Cart3r
09/11/2020 10:29 pm
To be fair I said an hour knowing it was a bit much as to not underestimate, but yeah. I would be willing to bet I could recolor a random pvp pack entirely in under 15 minutes if I really tried lmao. There is a specific layer type that literally does it for you, its pretty much just a matter of copying and pasting the same layer onto all the textures and saving them.
Cyprezz
09/04/2020 1:46 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Yep and I just moved as many existing PvP packs as could be reasonably identified into it. I also made several other changes to address the situation. You should see a significant improvement in your browsing experience already.
Pythagoras_314
09/11/2020 9:30 pm
What has been done about ones that claim to boost FPS?
Stridey
09/04/2020 5:46 pm
I've been scrolling down the page and haven't seen a single PvP resource pack! Thank you for these changes. The main resource pack page is so much better now! :D
iloveflareon
09/04/2020 10:59 am
definitely shifting all of my PVP packs into this category.
JadenXgamer
09/04/2020 8:01 am
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Pixel Painter
yeah it is, but there are currently only 2 packs in that category... the main texture pack menu is still spammed with a lot of them. but yeah it is a step in the right way.
Stridey
09/04/2020 10:12 am
It will take time for them to filter into that category. And hopefully we'll get filters soon too :)
JadenXgamer
09/05/2020 2:41 am
seems that a lot of the packs have been filtered over to the PVP category and there is a huge lack of PVP packs on the main texture pack page, the issue is basically solved now.
LarstonMarston
09/11/2020 1:09 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
I can't find very many 'FPS Boost' ones at all now.
Pythagoras_314
09/12/2020 8:19 pm
I looked through the PvP category, and about 85% of them have FPS in their name.
StaticNCogs
09/03/2020 6:26 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Imposter
We need to start a PVP pack resistance 
Cart3r
09/03/2020 3:16 pm
Another thing I am noticing is that packs can be released for less than a few hours, and some how accumulate thousands of downloads and even more views. How is that even possible, that a pack be up for less than a day and somehow pass the entire download count for the combined projects of a user who actually put a lot of effort into their packs. This can't possibly be correct, can it? Some of these people have posted multiple packs in the span of 24 hours (some of them even recolors of each others), and all of them reaching multiple thousands of downloads and views.
JadenXgamer
09/04/2020 7:53 am
yeah it is very strange that these PVP packs are getting thousands of views and downloads in just a few hours of being public, almost as if like it's being botted. hmm...
GhostIsBeHere
09/04/2020 11:07 am
Level 45 : Master Explorer
I think there is a PMC viewbot somewhere...
Can the admins please look into this?
iloveflareon
09/11/2020 12:23 pm
Cart3r
09/11/2020 12:49 pm
history
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the pvp pack views were from bots like those. Plus that one seems to have been around since 2017, which is also the age of many high-view packs.
JadenXgamer
09/05/2020 2:44 am
yeah does seem to be a viewbot of some kind, yesterday i saw a very low effort PVP pack edit which had about a thousand views and downloads, like why will anyone get that it looks so weird even in the images.
GoldWolfYT
09/11/2020 11:27 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Fish
I wonder if you ca n just change the value of download,......
ShamanDorn
09/03/2020 5:58 pm
Level 48 : Master Elf
Agreed, its really weird and to top it off, most only have 1 or 2 comments which is unusual for an extremely popular pack.
Inferno Digital
09/03/2020 7:06 pm
Level 42 : Master Enderdragon
Not to mention normal packs from smaller creators like me tend to get 1-2K views over a few months, with not a single comment.
Cart3r
09/03/2020 3:14 pm
Pvp got its own category, hooray. Now we just have to wait for them all to funnel into it, as right now its empty
Cyprezz
09/04/2020 1:56 pm
I moved as many existing PvP packs as I could easily identify into it. 1.4k or so
Cart3r
09/04/2020 7:55 pm
Awesome, glad to see new categories being added to clear up the clutter from packs that don't have a definitive spot in the ones that already existed!
FungiCaptain
09/03/2020 11:00 pm
Level 47 : Master Pixel Painter
i do hope they revamp the categories completely though, as theyre still super vague
Cyprezz
09/04/2020 2:21 pm
What would you suggest as a better set of texture pack categories? Certainly open to making improvements. It can be tricky to introduce new categories though when they will all start empty and it's not always easy to identify which existing packs should be moved.
Pythagoras_314
09/11/2020 9:32 pm
PvP, realistic, plastic, patterns, fantasy, horror, 3D, Optifine, memes, and other.
Stridey
09/04/2020 7:15 pm
Vanilla, Cartoon, Fun, 3D, OptiFine. Definitely an OptiFine category please :) A lot of packs require or rely heavily on OptiFine features
notabirb1
09/04/2020 6:14 pm
Level 47 : Master Procrastinator
1. A small tweak section. I personally enjoy resource packs that only make small changes, not complete revamps of the default.
2. A bedrock edition section. I'm not sure if this already exists, but, as a Bedrock Edition player, I would appreciate this.
3. A language section. There might not be enough resource packs that change/add languages to need a section for them, but it wouldn't hurt to have one.

I appreciate what you're doing! Sorting all these resource packs must take a long time!
Stridey
09/04/2020 7:13 pm
Bedrock should be its own version just like Dungeons is
notabirb1
09/05/2020 11:59 am
Level 47 : Master Procrastinator
That sounds better, but there should be multiple versions for bedrock, because some people still play older versions.

There should also be multiple sections of bedrock resource packs.
Whetshu
09/03/2020 10:20 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Nerd
Finally a man unafraid to call them out, and other people who agree that PvP pack have gone too far.

Vote Stridey for the highest honor a human can gain.
Stubbs1
09/03/2020 6:18 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Time to open a few tickets on the matter :)
Zekith
09/03/2020 6:09 am
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
I totally agree with this, those annoying and shitty pvp resourcepacks wich are just recolors of some stolen textures I find when wanting to search good ones make me mad. Finally I found a lot of more people have the samr opinion as me about that, I think we should add more categories like a lot of ones said in the post and the comments. Also, some pvp resource packs are pretty well done, but sadly most of the pvp resourcepacks are just a plague of shit wich bury the good resource packs
WesleyyIsMe
09/02/2020 9:09 pm
Level 27 : Expert Architect
Stridey 2020
Inferno Digital
09/02/2020 6:59 pm
Level 42 : Master Enderdragon
I agree. Trying to find actual, full resource packs has become rather exhausting on here.

And this is from someone who HAS a PVP pack, but for a specific purpose - www.planetminecraft.com/texture-pack/paintball-pvp-pack-desktop-variant/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome