Advice for a newbie before attempting to make new textures, anyone?

Hardcrafter's Avatar Hardcrafter8/28/19 8:33 pm
6 emeralds 1.8k 13
9/1/2019 11:17 am
JadenXgamer's Avatar JadenXgamer
I'd like to get my foot into making new textures for myself, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm also artistically clueless so I'm certain any texture attempts from me will be minimal at best.

I do have Gimp installed and while I don't remember much of it, I did do some photo editing classes in middle school with Gimp so I do kinda know my way around the app.

What I'd like to make is something somewhat cute/moe, kinda anime-style. I'd also like to make a new model for the sword making it a katana rather than the Western-style sword it is in Vanilla, I also want to make slight changes to the other tools as well but I'm not sure how to go about the modelling part AT ALL!

Any advice you can offer is fair game.

Thanks in advance!
Hardcrafter
Level 43 : Master Wolf

Create an account or sign in to comment.

JadenXgamer
09/01/2019 11:17 am
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Pixel Painter
make outlines before you make the whole texture
Nighthearted
08/29/2019 1:10 am
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
I recommend reading up on pixel art theory. Studying pixel art can help you create cleaner and better-looking textures.

When painting block textures, you will probably want to make sure your texture tiles seamlessly. Many general image editors and pixel art editors have a feature that allows you to see how your image tiles as you paint on it. I'm not sure about GIMP, but Krita definitely has this. Krita is a similar open-source software to GIMP.

Modeling can be done in Blockbench. It's made especially for Minecraft modeling.

You may also want to take a look at this general resource pack guide for help with the more technical details of resource pack creation.

Hope this helps!
Hardcrafter
08/29/2019 2:12 am
history
Thank you! Blockbench looks pretty interesting! Probably going to take time to learn how it works but it does seem pretty straight forward. Seems like an easier alternative to Blender. When I have more time I'll definitely read deep into the pixel art theory.
CeIeste
08/28/2019 8:50 pm
Level 26 : Expert Miner
Have plenty of reference photos! I know some people think that's "cheating" or something ridiculous but having a picture of a katana or something similar will really help! also, you don't need to have a huge size to make it detailed, try to make the texture size as small as possible, actually!
Hardcrafter
08/28/2019 9:00 pm
history
Reference pictures are a given for me anyways, even the most talented artists use references at times. If you know the YouTube channel DrawWithJazza, he also promoted the use of references when it comes making stuff you're not familiar with. Thanks for the tip on the size though! Wouldn't have known otherwise.
CeIeste
08/28/2019 8:59 pm
Man, I'm doubling posting for everything these days..... how forgetful^^

Blender is a really nice program to use for 3D modeling! Free, has nice controls, and these's plenty of tutorials online! It's pretty fun to make 3d models to put into minecraft. Also, you can mess around without worrying about messing up the layout or something because top left, push "new" and it's back where it started :)
Hardcrafter
08/28/2019 9:10 pm
That's fine! I'll definitely be installing Blender soon then, learn the ropes and at least make the new tool designs I want. Afterwards I can try to make new textures for the other blocks and items in the game. Starting small seems like the best idea.
CeIeste
08/28/2019 9:25 pm
one more tip, this guy is very helpful! I had no idea how to texture things until I saw the tutorial and it was like flipping a switch! Blender's made texturing ridiculously easy. Plus I was a total beginner when watching these lol
Hardcrafter
08/28/2019 9:33 pm
Thanks! A good tutorial series like that will help a lot!
ImYourEnder
08/29/2019 1:59 am
Level 27 : Expert Skinner
history
Blender is not a minecraft modelling tool, it's for 3D modelling. If you want to get models made in Blender or another 3D software into minecraft, you need a mod. If you want to make minecraft models you'll have to use a program such as "BlockBench", "MrCrayFish's Modelling program" or "Cubik Studio" Or you can get "MagicaVoxel" and make models in that and then import them to "BlockBench" or "Cubik Studio"

Please feel free to add me on Discord if you need any help or any more information on anything

ImYourEnder#7274
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome