The Way of the Skin- Learn Skinning from Pros!

Sumpumpolis's Avatar Sumpumpolis1/8/12 6:13 pm
1 emeralds 5.5k 375
4/5/2012 10:56 pm
the_soup's Avatar the_soup
Hello PMC!
Have you ever wanted a place to get good, reliable advice, tips, and feedback on your skinning? Here is a team of skinners who can help! Blender,Fantasyhound, Sneeze7, and IamIBAM (and me). We will be here to help you out in becoming a better skinner, be it shading, composition, using the 3d hat section, or anything else!
We are currently recruiting more teachers! So, if you are interested in helping out, just post something saying you are interested and what kind of things you look for in a quality skin, and I or one of the other team members can check out your submissions and decide if you can join.
Here are some examples of our own skins, so you can trust us to give advice.
Skins by Sumpumpolis:
View Captain Gantu (Lilo & Stitch)
View A Hungry Cyclops
View Mister Incredible
Skins by Blender:
View Ghast of the Nether
View Waterfall
View Russian Soldier (contest entry!)
Skins by Fantasyhound:
View Ferb [Phineas and Ferb]
View Humbert the Elephant
View Cole McGrath [infamous 2] [contest]
Skins by Sneeze7:
View Dolph The Baker [Skin Battle: Sneeze VS Judd]
View Frog
View Chris Griffin
Skins by IamIBAM:
View Coach- L4D2
View Shao Kahn- Emperor of Outworld
View Duke Nukem

You can ask for tips on general styles and techniques, or you could post your skin by pasting the embed code from the skin's page, and ask us to give constructive feedback!
Oh, and for better advice, tell us what program you use.
Sumpumpolis
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Egyptian

Create an account or sign in to comment.

the_soup
04/05/2012 10:56 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
^^See my post above yours
dabomb1254
04/05/2012 7:11 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
I've never made a skin before, and I was wondering how to make one xD I feel like such a noob, but I really want to learn how to skin.
the_soup
03/28/2012 8:54 pm
Alright, the new thread is up, so please everyone post there! skinning-tips-advice-and-feedback-t64450.html
ginga_ninja99
03/28/2012 8:34 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Can I help out be a teacher. If you look at my skins I try hard at making it life like and make the proportions right. If they are not even if it is shaded to perfection the skin will look off. Now I have always wanted to be a "skin teacher" but I never really found a good teaching team. Also I own a skinning team called BlackSheepSins here is our link to see our work are-blacksheep-skins-t58224.html . Hope you accept me as a teacher.
4drenalinerushh
03/28/2012 8:07 pm
Level 28 : Expert Toast
Hey, is there a new thread yet? if so link me!
the_soup
03/28/2012 8:40 pm
Not yet, I'll probably make one tonight so keep a look out for it on this board.
Also, I'll probably do away with the 'teacher' idea unless I can get some really expert skinners on here to help judge who should be a teacher and who shouldn't be. So as of now everyone can give advice. Of course, though, I'll expect everyone who gives advice to do it in a polite and professional manner...I really don't want the thread to devolve into a flame war with people being rude and arguing about skins and whatnot. So, yeah, I should have it done today. If you know any expert skinners it would be great if you could ask if they'd consider helping out here!
ginga_ninja99
03/28/2012 8:42 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
i can help if you want. I'm pretty sure you cant call me expert but im good
the_soup
03/27/2012 3:25 pm
Sorry, iknowsomething, I'm already backed up with a few requests, FriendlyPack and a possible, hypothetical texture pack. I'll gladly give help or advice though!
the_soup
03/27/2012 3:04 pm
I PM'd Sump to see what he or the other teachers plan on doing with this thread, we can start a new thread if he doesn't plan on continuing it.

EDIT: Oh, uh, actually it looks like he hasn't uploaded anything in 2 months, so I'm starting to doubt whether he's active here anymore or not...So, yeah, go ahead and make a new page
anime_wover
03/27/2012 3:10 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Skinner
ohhh could i be a teacher on the new post? and maybe you could help me with shadeing like somone previously said i couldnt shade good to save my life
yoavsnake
03/28/2012 1:36 am
Level 41 : Master Herobrine
No - you steal and remix skins.
iknowsomething
03/27/2012 2:50 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ninja
Hey, i know im not very good at making skins, but i think im okay, so i would kinda request to being a teacher, im interested and i want to help people out, i will release my steam information and such on my profile so people can just ask me if they need any help, and soon when im get better i will begin making livestreams where i show ppl how i make my skins
the_soup
03/27/2012 2:57 pm
The original 'teachers' don't seem to be posting anymore, unfortunately, so I think it's more of a free-for-all of advice giving at this point. You can certainly give advice if you want.
Strikerjacob
03/28/2012 11:50 am
Level 40 : Master Unicorn
I could be a teacher
yoavsnake
03/27/2012 3:01 pm
Time for a new page.
iknowsomething
03/27/2012 3:11 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ninja
yeah thats a really good idea, i would also ask if any of you guys that are skinners wanna make a skinning team with me?? well i will post a request on the blogs but i will kinda need 1 to start it with, we will be making livestreams and such and we will be kinda making a series of skins and such please let me know if you wanna start it up with me.
Emma5000
03/26/2012 4:08 pm
Level 23 : Expert Miner
I wasn't too impressed my my last skin; is it alright?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/epic2s-fox-better-in-3d-712775/

Based on this:
the_soup
03/27/2012 2:42 pm
NergalBS
what do you think about this ? some feedback would be cool
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/ski ... lood-hero/

They both look pretty nice, actually. To Theminemaster, I've having a bit of trouble figuring out what that bright red thing is on his back and why it's brighter than the rest of the red on his skin, so I guess making that clearer would be my suggestion.
To Nergal, I like the way you blended the white of the fur into the orange. My main suggestion would be adding some shading to his arms, legs and head like you did with the back of his arms. Right now it looks a bit flat. Also, it took me a while to realize that the thing on his back was his tail. Perhaps try shading it with highlights on one side and shadows on the other to make it look more 3D.

I hope that helps! Hopefully an expert skinner or two will show up to help with advice...
NergalBS
03/26/2012 3:20 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Artist

what do you think about this ? some feedback would be cool
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/ski ... lood-hero/
yoavsnake
03/26/2012 3:09 pm
Time to make a new group!
Bearclawman
03/25/2012 5:30 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Ranger
the_soup
Bearclawman View The Noob of Awesomeness (Hero)

This is my first skin qand I would like to see if people could give me some good feedback. thanks

I'd suggest adding some more detail and then attempting some shading (look up 'shading tutorial' if you don't know what to do). Right now your skin is just flat blocks of color. I understand you're a new skinner though, so definitely look at some tutorials and try to challenge yourself with your skins.

thanks a lot!!
the_soup
03/25/2012 1:59 pm
I don't know where everybody else went, but I'll be happy to help as much as I can.
hylianloach
03/25/2012 1:54 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Anyone still in this topic?
yoavsnake
03/25/2012 1:45 pm
Argh... Nobody of the actual group ever posts here. Time to make a new one!
kenniks
03/24/2012 8:12 am
Level 43 : Master Nerd
Im having ploblem with shading..a lot.

Whenever i try to shade from light to dark or dark to light,it always goes so random and messy.Check out my latest "Warrior girl" skin for what im talking about.All the shade just goes out of it's place.Any tips or solution?
ParkourManiac
03/23/2012 8:24 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
I am using MCSkin3D and I would like some help with shading. Also, I am finding it hard to make detailed skins on the lowest resolution. I would do it on a higher resolution but it won't let me upload on Planet Minecraft.
Bearclawman
03/22/2012 9:54 am
View The Noob of Awesomeness (Hero)

This is my first skin qand I would like to see if people could give me some good feedback. thanks
the_soup
03/25/2012 1:37 pm
I'd suggest adding some more detail and then attempting some shading (look up 'shading tutorial' if you don't know what to do). Right now your skin is just flat blocks of color. I understand you're a new skinner though, so definitely look at some tutorials and try to challenge yourself with your skins.

ParkourManiacI am using MCSkin3D and I would like some help with shading. Also, I am finding it hard to make detailed skins on the lowest resolution. I would do it on a higher resolution but it won't let me upload on Planet Minecraft.

Use either the burn/dodge tool or the lighten/darken tool to shade and highlight your skins. My skins were all shaded in MCSkin3D using those tools, if that helps you. As for details, you sort of need to look at the big picture of what you're trying to skin. Some details are crucial to making look like what it's supposed to, some aren't necessary. I guess for example, if I was making a cat skin I wouldn't worry about small details like nostrils or the whiskers above the eyes, but I would include important details like the whiskers on the side of his face and paw pads. That way, it's still recognizable as a cat without having pack in as much detail as possible. I hope that makes sense.

kenniksIm having ploblem with shading..a lot.

Whenever i try to shade from light to dark or dark to light,it always goes so random and messy.Check out my latest "Warrior girl" skin for what im talking about.All the shade just goes out of it's place.Any tips or solution?

Honestly, I think your 'warrior girl' is pretty nice. I guess I'd suggest simplifying your shading down to the most essential shadows and highlights, and then slowly building up more detailed shading from there. Also, if I also have problems with shading I'll look to the great skinners for examples and try to incorporate their techniques with my own.
yoavsnake
03/22/2012 9:58 am
Please, there are tutorials on this topic.
Bearclawman
03/22/2012 5:50 pm
i'm a bit confused by what you mean. please explain
yoavsnake
03/23/2012 12:45 am
There is a tutorial on the first page, between the comments, for example.
Jetthebuizel
03/22/2012 9:49 am
Level 46 : Master Gent
Sumpumpolis I love your texturing tutorials on YouTube. I am glad that my friend told me about them. I have always wanted to skin, but was never really artistic. Now I can make stuff I couldn't before. ;3
yoavsnake
03/22/2012 9:47 am
Is there a chance I cold join? Did an enchantment that costed 500 levels to my skinning skills.
MinecraftZaq
03/20/2012 5:05 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Cheers. I am going to use the picture of how to shade from page 1 as a guide.
MinecraftZaq
03/20/2012 4:56 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
hi guys,
Do you have any tips for improving the skins I have made? The newest one is the wastelander which is a commission.
Im not sure how to put pictures in but if you check out my page you can see some of my skins.
Cheers in advance
heartshapedBox
03/20/2012 5:00 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Miner
Shading, shading, shading.
Lokibo
03/18/2012 5:33 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Chef
*bump*
Horn
03/18/2012 4:01 pm
Level 41 : Master Lemon
Hey, I need some advice on shading my entry for the contest..

Any suggestions?:

[attachment=0]<attachment unavailable>[/attachment]

Thanks in advance,

--Horn
Strikerjacob
03/18/2012 6:15 pm
Hi, you should add a bit more shading in small areas and make it less ruff.
Horn
03/19/2012 10:21 am
Like this, maybe? I worked on it a bit last night..

[attachment=0]<attachment unavailable>[/attachment]
I call him..... GrimBane >:D
Strikerjacob
03/19/2012 1:17 pm
Nice! I think it is perfect!
Horn
03/19/2012 7:43 pm
Thanks! Will post it now.
Eatoncheese
03/17/2012 2:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Hero
Hello i am satisfied with my shading i just run out of ideas quickly. What is a way you get ideas?
Alaeon77
03/16/2012 8:42 pm
Level 22 : Expert Artist
Could I get some feedback or help on this skin? I'm not sure how to make it look better...
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/detective-652717/
the_soup
03/16/2012 9:14 pm
The shading is really nice. It might just be me, but the colors of the coat are a bit muddy looking, you should try playing around with those a bit.
Skullsector
03/16/2012 6:41 pm
Level 29 : Expert Nerd
This is my contest entry:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/the ... ion-entry/
I don't know how to get the shading correct, because it always comes up with a problem when I try and upload. I also have problems finding the hat section.
the_soup
03/16/2012 7:17 pm
The left hat section is immediately to the right of the back of the head, the front hat section is to the right of the left hat section, the right hat section is to the right of the front hat section, and the back hat section is to the right of the left hat section. The top hat section is directly above the front hat section, and the bottom hat section is directly above the right hat section. Here's a picture if that's not clear: http://i.imgur.com/y5GJ5.jpg
the_soup
03/16/2012 6:26 pm
Feedback on mine would also be appreciated, if anyone's still doing this:
View Sir Obscure, the hipster hero! With 3D Justache!
Strikerjacob
03/16/2012 3:45 pm
Can I have some feedback on my contest skin?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/dr-steel-677345/
the_soup
02/23/2012 9:30 am
Sneeze7
the_soup
deatheos222Hey can you tell me how to shade better? if you would please look at the skins ive posted i not the best at shading but what programs are good for it?

I'm no teacher but I'd be glad to help :3 Your Templar skins show the beginnings of some good shading--you've already got the vertical shading, now it's time to add some horizontal shading. Because humans have rounded arms/legs/torsos/etc you want to add darkness to those edges to make them look like they're receding (and are rounded). So, basically, do what you did before but on the left and right sides of your skin as well and see how that looks.

That was pretty much what i was gonna write if i had the capability of that good english skills xD Well written

Thanks! If you still need people and my skins are up to snuff I can give some more shading/etc advice.
Hm, what I look for in a skin? Creativity and visual depth (without noise) are probably my two main things.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome