Hiya! :D I'm new.emoji_people

DraconicRaptor's Avatar DraconicRaptor • 4/18/24 3:32 am
11 emeralds 158 9
4/20/2024 3:47 pm
kettlecooked's Avatar kettlecooked
My name is DraconicRaptor both on here and ig for Bedrock and java.

I have been playing minecraft for years.

I have been thinking for a while now about making custom stuff. Now that I've found this site, I can finally do so! XD

Already made my 1st skin on here too! XD

I also wonder what others might think of it....for instance "Is it good for a 1st attempt at a skin?" or "Is there anything that could have been done to help make it even better?"

I'm looking forward to finding out what all I can create and do on here. Also looking forward to possibly making some new, like minded, friends as well. : )
DraconicRaptor
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/20/2024 3:47 pmhistory
Level 7 : Apprentice Birb
kettlecooked
Hi!!!! If you want an easy subscriber go to eatmypbkettlecookedpants and message her you're a friend of McShizzleKettlecooked and ask to get a subscribe. If you need any help, just ask me! I'm pretty good at this... I think.... hopefully... at least to myself.... maybe not at all..... FORGET I SAID THAT!!!! Anyway, the kind of skins people want are creepypasta, invis skins, and really cool lookin' skins. Idk if this works but maybe try to add stories to your skins??? Stickford was a big hit and he had a story...

From, the storytelling GoDdEsS (not really)

kettlecooked (aka Lordess)
04/19/2024 2:55 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Welcome
04/19/2024 12:16 amhistory
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Welcome to PMC 👋

Link to skin mentioned: Kenwyn's Universal wear — DraconicRaptor

Being quite the beginner myself, I've just been looking at various skins (and deconstructing them) to see how various effects were accomplished.

I also do much of the work on mine in 2d mode using GIMP [​legally free under a GNU license].
This does require one be able to mentally fold the 2D into 3D, but the mental folding doesn't annoy me.
(There are programs that allow switching between 2d / 3D [​paint.net IIRC???], but – with high end graphics programs – one is often better off staying with a program one knows well rather cthan switching between programs. [​I've used GIMP for 15+ years.] )

WRT the skin mentioned:
The purple hair[?] in the helm layer is not to my taste (YMMV)
I took the checkerboard patterning on the arms and hands to represent some sort of mesh armor (if this is what was intended, keeping it in the armor layer makes sense to me).

One [​common] difficulty is that I don't recognise the character (or otherwise know what you are trying to portray), which makes evaluating the work rather hit or miss.
(Something that is sometimes done to aleviate this is to include reference picture[​s] in the decription as here)
04/19/2024 3:39 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
DraconicRaptor
It's an original design that's not based off of anything. No references, just what I've seen in my mind. :D Thx for the honest opinion, constructive criticism, and tips!

The mesh is part of the sleeves added into the overlayer to give a 3D, loose, thin mesh feel, so that you can see the skin underneath.

I'm curious on what you mean by the hair in the helm layer not being to your taste.
For me, the extra overlayer of purple bangs is supposed to add a semi-fluffy 3D effect.
04/19/2024 6:05 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
RE: "I'm curious on what you mean by the hair in the helm layer not being to your taste."

Essentially, I just don't like the way it looks [personal taste, hence the YMMV]
To me it looks like a single payot or sidecurl hanging from a pompadour, which seems unnatural (and would just look weird if womeone did manage teh effect IRL).

I had tried using the helm layer to simulate fluffy or curly hair in Dr Who — Third incarnation (played by John Pertwee), but it didn;t work out as well as I'd hioped.
(Also John Pertwee's hair style was a lot more conservative.)
My suspicion is that the resolution of MC skins just doesn't offer enough subtlety to convincingly portray many hairstyles….
04/18/2024 4:15 pm
Level 42 : Master Kitten
GalaxyCat24
For a first attempt at skinning, that's amazing
The colors you used go well together, and the shading is pretty good. You also added quite a bit of detail, which most new skinners don't.

If you'd like to improve, I would advise:

1. Avoiding the noise tool altogether. It can be tempting, but it almost always makes a skin worse in the end. If you do use it, probably lower the opacity.

2. Keeping the hair mainly on the base layer. From my experience, the hat layer should only be used to make the base pixels look smaller, or add bumps/illusion of indentations that would be natural in real life. When making humans, it's helpful to avoid using the hat layer on the corners because humans are pretty round. However, this isn't a rule you have to follow, and it all comes down to what you're going for.

3. Merging the checker pattern into the arms. (although that could be personal preference)

Now please don't take my word for it! My skins aren't the best, and I don't really know what I'm doing.
If you want to get good, look at others' skins and notice what works, and what doesn't.
You should be able to find some good skinning tutorials by just looking up "skinning tutorials" in the PMC search bar.
And of course there's always YouTube.

Hope this helps!
04/18/2024 7:22 am
Level 39 : Artisan Mage
Arkaliasus
thats your FIRST skin? it looks awesome!!
04/18/2024 5:29 am
Level 32 : Artisan Procrastinator
regfunkid
Welcome to Planet Minecraft!
Personally, i'm a Datapack creator, since textures are harder for me to make. But I hope you have a great time here!
04/18/2024 4:21 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Welcome to the community :D
I'm not a skin-creator myself, but I recall this old tutorial from Dinowcookie, which was super helpful learning the basics of skin-creating https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/dinow-s-tutorials-part-1-basics-how-to-make-a-minecraft-skin/

Hope you figure it out, and best of luck
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome