[Contest Ended] Meticulum, Meticulum – A Poem Interpretation Build Contestsatellite

Giancarlovan's Avatar Giancarlovan9/4/20 2:33 pm history
16 emeralds 1.9k 12
10/11/2020 9:32 am
Giancarlovan's Avatar Giancarlovan

ac_unit Introduction ac_unit

An ekphrasis is a literary representation of a visual work. This contest asks you to do the opposite. You are to create a Minecraft build out of a work of literature: my most recent poem.

When it comes to the build, you have a lot of freedom. There are no set guidelines for what you can and cannot build. What's important is that you are able to explain and demonstrate how the build relates to or is inspired by the poem.

Without further ado, here is the poem:

The Poem: Meticulum, Meticulum
Meticulum, Meticulum
Meticulum ad nauseam

To be, or not to be, or perhaps to be, partially
To choose, to select, to pick between particularities
Say green, or viridian, or even verdigris
Each mere shades off of free
Yet each decision is rough
Or say tough
Or say uneasy enough
To get through the day a breeze

The shadows are growing longer, more living, more lifelike, more lively
More of everything, but their antonyms
However so shall they be expressed
And then came silent death

For Meticulum, Meticulum
Meticulum ad nauseam

by Giancarlo N. H. Gonzaga

color_lens Contest Process landscape

Phase 1: Submission
Submission Deadline: October 4, 2020. 11:59 EST.

Put on your creative caps and literary lenses, enjoy the poem, draw inspiration, and build, build, build! You can build anything you want, as long as you can explain its relevance and connection to the poem! With over a month, there's no rush. Enjoy the processes of interpretation and creation. We're thrilled to see what you come up with!

Building Rules:
  1. You may build with others! Feel free to go solo, or build as a team!
  2. You may build in any version of Minecraft. Later versions may give you more flexibility though!
  3. You may not use any non-vanilla items (i.e. items from mods or resource packs). Judges will be judging submissions in vanilla Minecraft.
  4. Maximum of 3 entries per person. Team builds count as 1 entry for each member.
  5. You may use building aids. However, judges will know if most of the work has been done with them, which could lower your score!
  6. You may use paintings, banners, command blocks, redstone contraptions, custom heads, custom maps, custom armor stands, and so on. Go wild!
Submission Rules:
  1. Upload a Minecraft save (not a schematic!) as a project on Planet Minecraft. You can do so here. Have many screenshots and a detailed description!
  2. The project description must include an explanation of how the build relates to the poem.
  3. Submit the link to the project in the comments section below.
  4. You must use the default texture pack in your screenshots. Judges will be reviewing work using the default texture pack as well.
Phase 2: Judging

Your builds will be judged by the following members of the PMC community:
Your builds will be judged on three criteria on a scale of 1-10:
  1. Interpretation & Rationale:
    Meaningfulness matters!
    Good submissions will provide a sound analysis of of the poem, demonstrate the thought process behind the project, and clearly and meaningfully explain the relationship between the build and the poem.

2. Technique & Execution:
    Demonstrate your building skills!
    Good submissions will have a unified theme, distinct and aesthetically pleasing elements, and utilize various building techniques to express the interpretation and intent of the builder.

3. Presentation & Experience:
    Let us feel the build, live the build!
    Good submissions will have pleasing screenshots, a detailed and meaningful description of the build, and perhaps even gifs or videos showcasing the build.

grade Prizes star

1st Place
  • A custom golden pixel art trophy for your unofficial trophy case
  • Profile featured on my profile for 1 week or more!
2nd Place
  • A custom silver pixel art trophy for your unofficial trophy case
3rd Place
  • A custom bronze pixel art trophy for your unofficial trophy case
Participants
  • A custom participant pixel art trophy for your unofficial trophy case

comment Other Information info

Legal Disclaimer
Contest participants reserve their intellectual property rights to whatever works they submit through this platform and through this contest, but also agree to allow their works to be published and showcased in affiliation with this contest in any form by the contest organizers, and otherwise. Through any form of participation in the contest, participants agree to release the contest organizers, judges, and their affiliates from any claim, loss, damage, injury, and liability of any kind arising from their entry and participation in the event and their use or receipt of the prizes. The contest organizer shall not be held responsible for any disruptions, delays, or deviations arising from the expectations of the participants, organizers, judges, or other third parties due to force majeures, such as but not limited to: earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes, floods, viruses, computer viruses, technical failures, fraud, unauthorized intervention, and illness. The contest organizer also reserves the right to disqualify, at its sole discretion, any individuals who are found and judged to be tampering, abusing, or otherwise interfering with the due processes of the contest. To the fullest extents legally permissible, participants waive any and all rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief, or make any other recourse to any procedure in the event of claims or disputes resulting from or in connection with this event.
Giancarlovan
Level 42 : Master Technomancer