Block by Block - Collage Texture Pack Event

stlMitch's Avatar stlMitch2/1/23 11:09 pm history
6/16/2023 10:49 pm
CrownDeluxe's Avatar CrownDeluxe

Welcome to the main event of the Collage Group for 2023!

The goal of this is to create a texture pack made entirely of the different ideas, styles, and skills of the PMC community!

The previous event was great, and it provided a solid groundwork for a bigger and better event!

Theme?
Just like the previous event, there is no theme - no limits!

As long as it follows the rules, you're free to do whatever you want!

Retexture trees in your own style, make a hyper realistic crafting table, give pigs shoes, you do you!
No experience? No problem!
Never worked with Minecraft's textures before? No worries, there's a first time for everything!

Changing Minecraft's textures is easy, as most blocks and items are just square shaped images. Some of the textures can get a bit complicated, but luckily mob skins can be made using PMCSkin3D

If you're not sure how to work with the files and make them into a functional texture pack, that's okay, we'll handle that part. You just need to worry about making the textures themselves.

If you ever run into any kind of issue, don't be afraid to ask for help!
How to participate

1. Claim a texture

If you have something in mind for a specific thing in the game, claim it beforehand so nobody can take it from you while you work!

If you change your mind, that's perfectly fine, just let us know in a comment so the claim can be removed and someone else can take it

Claims are listed under "Participants and Claims," please check through this before making a claim so you know if someone's already taken it

Every month there will be a claim check just to make sure forgotten claims don't sit around taking up space - if you're mentioned in a claim check and don't respond in time, your claim will be removed.

2. Make the texture

While pixel art would make the most sense, you're not limited to it. Anything works, just as long as it's your own work. Pixel art, digital art, a scanned paper drawing, text art, ASCII art, a photo you took, if it follows the rules, it's fair game!

3. Send the texture

It's recommended to post it as a submission to Planet Minecraft, however that only works for mob/player skins and functional texture packs, not loose texture files. If you're unable to post it as a PMC submission (or just don't want to), there's other ways too.

These are some methods used in the previous Collage events, all of them work so do whichever you prefer

- Upload individual textures to an image sharing site (or Discord) and post them in a comment or a PM to stlMitch
- Upload a zip folder to a file sharing site and send the link
- Upload the files as a Planet Minecraft submission, add stlMitch as a collaborator, and save as a draft

If there's some other method you prefer, go for it. If it works it works
Rules
You cannot retexture the main title (All the other textures in the entire game are up for grabs though, including GUI)

Be specific with your claims, state exactly what you want (Don't say "iron," say "iron ingot" or "deepslate iron ore")

No inappropriate/offensive entries (duh)

Don't bash people for their work

You're free to work with someone, just make sure everyone's credited

No 3D models for entities, as this would require Optifine (3D models for blocks and items are allowed)
Tips
Just some assorted tips and pieces of advice that may or may not help you - this may expand as the event runs

You can force PMCSkin3D to make block/item textures if you use 2D mode and click the "Toggle Overlay" button on the right (Looks like a square with the number 1 on it)

(Use the allay texture and decrease the resolution once for a 16x16 square)

If you want to make a block with different textures for each side, it's possible by changing the block model. If you wish to know the secret, just ask. If you don't care about knowing how and just want to use it for your entry, make each side of the block its own texture and send em in

Participants and claims

Submitted - Unfinished

Tip: Use ctrl+f to quickly search for a specific thing

Adrestio - Furnace, lily of the valley flower, observer, redstone block, yellow concrete powder

Sunwaeys - Snowy grass, snow block, powder snow (block and item), snowball, snow golem --

blank3times - Regular terracotta (Green, orange, gray, cyan)

TheGreatOwlMaster - Dripstone (block and pointed), moss, azalea (regular and flowering), azalea leaves (regular and flowering), big dripleaf, small dripleaf, cave vines, glow berries, spore blossom, clay (block and item), rooted dirt, hanging roots

LightFiendish - Sugarcane (plant and item), lily pad

xOrangeChipmunk - HUD (health, hunger, crosshair, etc. - does not include hotbar), clouds, moon, Hero of The Village effect icon, Bad Omen effect icon, enchanting table book (not the table itself), end portal (not the frame), end portal, end crystal beam, villager trading GUI

CrownDeluxe - Main menu panorama

Common natural blocks are the key for a good large scale texture pack, so it's very important that these be retextured by someone. If any of these interest you, please go for it!

- Grass (and its variants: snowy grass, podzol, mycelium, path blocks)
- Dirt
- Stone
stlMitch
Level 56 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
CollaboratorsxOrangeChipmunk's Avatar xOrangeChipmunk