World Machined Projects on PMC

Aerios's Avatar Aerios2/10/14 8:27 pm
1 emeralds 743 9
2/25/2014 12:34 am
o00gareth00o's Avatar o00gareth00o
Recently there has been a conflict between projects that are using "World Machine" in order to create their projects. Many of these projects are being flagged for "Program Generated Content." An argument can go either way explaining why or why not this is or is not true.

Being a terraformer that uses this program, I can argue that the program does not do the work for you. It is not as simple as pressing a button and having the terrain created right in front of you. You have to go in, create each and every part, just as you would in game. You still have to generate mountains, rivers, etc. Yes, it is a lot easier to do, but it still takes the same amount of time as it would in World Painter, but with better results.

If it comes down to it and World Machine is viewed as Program Generated, then you could also add an argument over any other programs that are used to enhance content in the game. World Painter is also an external program used to create terrain and it is allowed to be used when posting projects on here. Both World Painter and World Machine have to be used in order to create the best terrain.

Hopefully you guys understand my argument and that this gets through to the staff.
Aerios
Level 50 : Grandmaster Gent

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/22/2014 1:07 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Batman
o00gareth00o
Maybe the world machine you are using is different form the one I know or maybe I simply don't know it well enough, but when I played with it I found that all you had to do was essentially connect a string of boxes, each of which represented some form of terrain generation or modification such as terracing, erosion methods, etc. Then, you, quite literally, hit a button and the world is created for you. That is why I dislike worldmachine's use, I do see it as computer generated terrain. If I am wrong than let me know, but when I dabbled in the demo version it really did seem that easy.
02/22/2014 1:37 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
If that is the process, then yes, the program is making it for you. That is very different than making something with the aid of a program.
02/25/2014 12:34 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Batman
o00gareth00o
From what I saw that is the process. Now I am not denying that it takes some time to get used to how world machine functions, but at the end of the day, the terrain is being made for you. All you do use functions to define how (generally) you want the terrain to look like.
02/10/2014 9:36 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
The problem I have with World Machine is that people tend to just generate a giant map and post it without any significant changes. I don't think it's fair to those people that go out of their way to form islands, terrain, trees, and land masses by hand or the use of World Edit to help make the process less grinding to lose out to people that can form thousand-block stretches of map by using a program with some filters to give it the look you want.

I can see where people are coming from when they argue to me when I take their World Machine maps down (I don't normally do unless it's obvious that you only imported the height map and made no real contributions from what I can see), but honestly it's just unfair competition.
02/10/2014 9:44 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Gent
Aerios
Well no matter what happens there will always be an unfair competition. The more subs you have, the more diamonds you get. It is harder to get recognition because there is just too much competition to handle with. Comparing World Machine/World Painter to that of World Edit/Voxel Sniper is like comparing Hockey to Basketball. They are 2 completely different topics of terraforming. One person could have skill in Voxel Sniper and another have the skill of World Painter. They both have their strong and weak points. One being that you can't paint 3D objects in World Painter. The point here is that these are 2 different kinds of skills and people should not take World Painter as a competition to that of other terrain generators.
02/10/2014 9:42 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
SoyMonkey
well yes i agree people who just import height maps or do little to nothing should be taken down as someone who does use worldpainter i think worldmachine should be allowed as well because its not really any different than using worldedit and yet people praise anyone who uses that but undermines whoever used a worldpainter/machine is what i dont get
02/10/2014 9:48 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
I understand the undermining of worldmachine, mainly because you tell the program the idea, and the program makes it for you.
It legitimately is a world machine.

WorldPainter, doesn't tend to have much dispute, mainly because its name is self explanatory, it's a world painter. You paint the world. You are a world painter.
02/10/2014 8:33 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
-Nether-
Well put Sunfrey, I think World Machine should be a usable tool like World Painter.
02/10/2014 8:31 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
HashSlash
My opinion is that at the end of the day, what looks best matters most. If they all look as good as each other then there's no reason to block one form of creation (which would be a bit like blocking world edit from structures) and if you're going to say that it's unoriginal and has no skill or whatever then it should simply be that no method of terraforming is allowed.

I know they said something about pmc being 'spammed' with them but that is a failure of the system to upvote and show only the better maps in the what's hot etc. The system should mean that all the rubbish maps that some people only spend 5 mins on, like any other form of building, do not get votes and therefore don't benefit the poster or effect the community.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome