Using content that isn't yours

non_'s Avatar non_7/13/15 6:44 am
7/13/2015 2:42 pm
Chron's Avatar Chron
Someone has been harassing me constantly saying that they can use my map to make a YT video without giving credit, I have given him proof that he can't, giving him info through YT's and PM's rules and regulations but he is having none of it.

I want the communities oppinion on this as giving him info about the rules does not apply to him so please give me advise as to what I should do with this annoying thorn in my side.
non_
Level 20 : Expert Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Chron
07/13/2015 2:42 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Problem's been resolved. However, in most situations, it's common courtesy to ask permission to use someone's property before using it.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 2:28 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Robot
guys, he is ok with it now
Jetra
07/13/2015 12:17 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Note: Why do I have to retype everything ;-; ?

Not sure if he means to post it here or on YouTube, but I figured I'd share my thoughts. If he posts it here on the website, you can flag it and the Moderators will take care of it assuming you provide the necessary proof to back up your claim that the map is indeed yours such as giving a save file and maybe some screenshots.

As for posting it on YouTube, that's a muddy matter as you can't flag it for copyright infringement. True, you made the map, however, Minecraft the game is property of Microsoft-Mojang which only they can make the report.

There's also the matter of Fair Use which means he's given some immunity if he decides to make an animation of it. Do not take this as 100% fact as the internet and law tend to not be the best of friends and I'm not entirely sure of YouTube's policy on stolen content other than directly ripping videos or making spam accounts.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 1:43 pm
when I make animations they are for youtube (im the guy he was talking about)
Johnanater
07/13/2015 2:25 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Always ask the owner's permission. Always give them credit. If they say no find another map or make your own!
Malaionus
07/13/2015 2:04 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
He doesn't want you to use the map, don't use things without permission- end of story
jaydan7
07/13/2015 2:30 pm
this is a public website here
true end of story
ASF
07/13/2015 2:26 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
But he can still use the map for his animation if he really wants to.
Sure, the nice thing to do would be to credit someone for their map, but you can always go the rude way and just give no credit at all.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:05 pm
you were also the one insulting me
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:04 pm
and you were the one swearing and everything
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:03 pm
dude, I didnt say anything about not giving credit
Auradyme
07/13/2015 8:57 am
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Ugh, I feel your pain, I hate when people do this.
RadiantGaming
07/13/2015 7:34 am
Level 21 : Expert Button Pusher
Well, if he doesn't post it on YouTube it won't bother you and be within the lines of fair use, so...

You know what, if he does make a video of it, PM it to me, and I'll just go over there and rant.
10Andrew
07/13/2015 7:20 am
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
OlliemateI'll quote the things I said to him and what he said:

Me -This is a message regarding the request you made to animate my project Half Life 2 - City 17. I wanted to see some of your content before I allowed you to animate, the content I have seen so far isn't the professional level I was looking for so I'm sorry to
inform you that i will not be allowing you animate my project.

If you have anymore questions regaurding the project please get back to me and feel free to ask.

Him -then il just animate with it anyway, since rly I dont need permission to animate

Personally I would have just said that I prefer my maps not to be animated rather than telling the real reason, which is that his animations are not that good. Anyway, that does not excuse him.

The best way to go about this is to just message him something along the lines of:
The map that you have requested to use is property of I,"Olliemate". While I appreciate your admiration of my work, I must decline your request to use my map for your animation. Please understand that if this notice is ignore any video that is made by you, despite any effort you have put in, will subsequently be removed from YouTube which could affect your account.

Please do not waste your time and effort creating a video using my property just for it to be taken down.

Then DO NOT reply to any more messages. That will be the end of the discussion.
yoda473
07/13/2015 7:19 am
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
He's probably just trolling you. He knows the penalties he'll get if he does it, otherwise he wouldn't have asked you for permission in the first place. But if he does upload a video with your map in it, flag it.
BUT examining the conversation closely, I realize he never said he would upload his video to the internet or make it public in any way.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:09 pm
why would I troll saying I wanted to animate with a map
non_
07/13/2015 7:07 am
heres the thing though, his animations, to say the least... aren't good and I'm worried it will make my map look bad.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:08 pm
really, THAT WAS THE WHOLE RESON YOU INSULTED ME AND EVERYTHING
RadiantGaming
07/13/2015 7:06 am
Well, just flag it and see how it turns out. I would just leave a comment on the video saying you made it as well.
non_
07/13/2015 7:04 am
I'll quote the things I said to him and what he said:

Me -This is a message regarding the request you made to animate my project Half Life 2 - City 17. I wanted to see some of your content before I allowed you to animate, the content I have seen so far isn't the professional level I was looking for so I'm sorry to
inform you that i will not be allowing you animate my project.

If you have anymore questions regaurding the project please get back to me and feel free to ask.

Him -then il just animate with it anyway, since rly I dont need permission to animate

Me -The map is not yours to animate with, so if you do decide to try and animate with my map I can report you for stolen content, I didnt say you can't animate, just don't use my map. Please don't make this anymore of an issue...

Him -how would it be stolen content? you couldnt report me for stolen content since I wouldnt be stealing it
- and I think you should relise that this website is to upload things like maps and resource packs for ANYBODY to use

Me -If you are allowed to use my content then why did you ask me in the first place?!

-Look, I don't like your style of animation and I would appreciate it if you left this now, I mean you haven't even told me what you plan to do with this map so how can I trust you to be sensible with it.

Him -at first I didnt relise I didnt need to ask, and I am getting better at animating, and what I want to animate with it is half life 2, because I want to remake it in an animation

Me -Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you're
authorised to use. Don't upload videos that you didn't make, or use
content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such
as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programmes or videos made by
other users, without the necessary authorisations. Visit our Copyright
Centre for more information.

-This is in youtubes community guidelines for dummies like you now stop harrassing me because you aren't allowed to use my map and you aren't going to win the arguement.

-Need more proof there you go, this is in PM's rules under unoriginal content...

Unoriginal Content
The following list is a
partial list of different ways of creating content that are not original
work. Interpretation of these items is based on the consensus of the
mod team and will be used if there is confusion.

Generating content with a program
Tracing an existing work
Using parts of an existing work in your own work, also called remixing
non_
07/13/2015 6:55 am
He says that if he makes a YT video with other peoples content he doesn't have to give them credit since he made the video.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:06 pm
no I didnt
anonpmc1231920
07/13/2015 6:57 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
Assasin794
07/13/2015 6:55 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Scuttles
I'm sure that you can use any mod, map, or texture pack in a youtube video without needing to credit the author. The only way he could get in trouble is if he was claiming he made the map in the video. Fair use.
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:11 pm
exactly, and I wouldnt claim to own a map I didnt make
anonpmc1231920
07/13/2015 6:49 am
[deleted]
RadiantGaming
07/13/2015 6:52 am
Hmm.. I'm no lawyer, but I bet he wouldn't have copyrighted the map, so can he still report for copyright infringement? Or am I being stupid here?
anonpmc1231920
07/13/2015 6:56 am
[deleted]
RadiantGaming
07/13/2015 6:48 am
Okay, I see your point, but one question. Why would he refuse to give credit in the first place?
jaydan7
07/13/2015 12:05 pm
I never did refuse to give credit, I never said I wouldnt give credit
anonpmc1231920
07/13/2015 6:50 am
[deleted]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com