Proper grammar should be mandatory on PMC

ProBooooiii's Avatar ProBooooiii4/9/13 12:45 am
1 emeralds 3.8k 227
5/11/2013 11:41 am
Getoffmycat's Avatar Getoffmycat
I think I speak for everyone when I say proper grammar should be a manditory rule for PMC. All of those little children who can't spell or use grammar well are very annoying. It can be quite difficult to understand what they are trying to say, when people type like this;

IM NOT SPAMMING! AL I SID WS LOL TH@ WH@ I SID? Hw tht a spm? GSH

I think we can all agree when I say that this is extremely annoying, and should not be tolerated here on the forums of PMC.

Leave your thoughts and comments below!
ProBooooiii
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Getoffmycat
05/11/2013 11:41 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Dolphin
This is a stupid post, Minecraft was made for people of all ages and not just people with good grammar. What I picked on you just because you didn't use one freaking comma. All of you gammar nazis need to chill out because some of you make me mad. You need to get the fact through your heads that minecraft is for kids too and that they are allowed to go on PMC as they please. Please sir, stop yelling at people for nothing.
Xamboldore
05/11/2013 10:41 am
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
My outlooks is this:

If I can understand what they said, I don't mind.
Typhlosionboy
05/11/2013 11:16 am
Level 30 : Artisan Bunny
^^ This ^^
Arty
05/11/2013 6:43 am
Level 22 : Expert Grump
This is a fan-site for a game which has a large fan-base of children twelve and under.
_Tom_
05/11/2013 6:43 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
I have to agree with Exurbia, I do admit, it can be very annoying when people use poor grammer, or spell words wrong however, I do not think Good Grammer should be made essential, as firstly, it would be very hard for the Forum/Chat/Site moderators to monitor and secondly, I just can't see how it is necessary and frankly it's pretty harsh.
Whoever01
05/11/2013 6:30 am
Level 47 : Master Princess
Still believe that this is the most stupid idea EVER!!!!!(!)
Magratt
05/10/2013 8:40 pm
Level 25 : Expert Spelunker
I'm from Norway. English is my second language. But I'm a grown up. So I manage to spell right most of the time.
But what of my 11 year old nephew? He can be hard to understand sometime when he writes English. Hes getting better every day and his in the top of his class in English because of minecraft. But he is still 11 and English is his second language.
Should he not be able to communicate on pmc?
How many other kids his age with English as second language do you think its out there?
Don't judge all people the same
Typhlosionboy
05/10/2013 8:36 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Bunny
This is just going to end up being a flamewar, i can already tell...
-Kali-
05/10/2013 8:46 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
It already has been one throughtout the thread.

It's not fair for other people for other people from foreign countries. I think txt language can be used, but not overused.
Sniper_Happy
05/10/2013 5:07 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
ProBooooiiiI think I speak for everyone when I say proper grammar should be a manditory rule for PMC. All of those little children who can't spell or use grammar well are very annoying. It can be quite difficult to understand what they are trying to say, when people type like this;

I think we can all agree when I say that this is extremely annoying, and should not be tolerated here on the forums of PMC.

You're ranting without the proper use of alineas. And even your arguments are not logical and purely made out of your opinion. Please stop making these silly posts if you have no idea what you are talking about; It is not hard to ignore what you find annoying.
LordZee22
05/10/2013 5:03 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
I get annoyed at the kids who are too lazy to spell things right. Not anyone whose first language isn't English. If the kids who are too lazy to spell things right want to make a fool out of themselves, Let them.

Here is an example of a lazy person:
my favorit colr is yelo

A person whose first language isn't English usually just forgets to add a word or adds/removes an extra letter to a word.
kickface
05/10/2013 3:54 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
The fact of the matter is you can't put a mandatory rule for proper grammar because It's a forum post not an essay. It can be annoying sometimes but just have to bite your tongue and move on.
DuckydotDucky
05/10/2013 3:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
I have some problem with grammar mainly because I have a learning disability. It's not too severe, but it takes me a lot of work to form sentences that are legible and I rely on spell check. The thing is, pet peeves should NEVER be rules. Yes, I understand where you're coming from and it annoys me when people don't understand your and you're, but that doesn't give me the right to attack them and it doesn't give you the right either.
eccsdee
05/10/2013 3:39 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cake
Yeah, I think this topic ought to be ended now. Everyone's pretty much made the decision that it shouldn't be a rule on the internet and PMC, because of people with problems like dyslexia.
Canadia
05/10/2013 3:22 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Dumb idea, yeah, it is annoying, but it shouldn't be a rule, its really stupid. I can see where your coming from, but it should NOT be mandatory. This is a site where people talk about minecraft/other games, this should not be a god damn english classroom

If your going to make this mandatory, people are going to leave this site trust me, proper english typing should be mandatory in FORMAL websites, this website is IN NO WAY formal. So no, don't do it

This idea is just absolutely absurd
Nevin
05/10/2013 3:16 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Pokemon
So?
Insane Hippy
05/10/2013 3:03 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Honestly:

i dont mind people who talk like this whilst not using capitalization or periods or commas or apostrophes and the like

eye dun even mind ppl hoo talk liek this that much

The thing that annoys me the most is when people use the incorrect form of 'you're', 'your', 'their', 'there' .. stuff like that. I have literally punched myself in my face out of rage at them.

But, I do not correct them, rage at them, or expect them to stop in any way.
This is the internet.
People who know correct grammar and spelling will make shortcuts.
Not everyone has English as their first language.
Even people who try to use correct spelling will make mistakes at times.

I saw an idea about a lower class of mods as proof-readers earlier. This could happen, I guess... I wouldn't mind applying for a position as one.. I could finally do something when I see someone say 'your' instead of 'you're' aside from punching myself in the face lol.
Insane Hippy
05/10/2013 3:53 pm
.... On second thought, I don't think the 'proof-reader mods' idea is good. There's way too much potential for misunderstandings, abuse, and so on... It would probably just make more work for the regular mods. So, yeah, scratch that.
Chimpoid
05/10/2013 2:10 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Crafter
Look at the original title of the thread by looking at what is written in the address bar up top:

/proper-grammar-should-manditory-pmc-t241528.html

I agree that in a lot of circumstances it would be easier to communicate if people paid more attention to what they are writing, but the creator of this thread is just completely hypocritical. Ridiculous.
Miss Shadowz
05/04/2013 2:37 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Artist
There are younger users on this site. They may not have great spelling / grammar. There are also users who do not speak English fluently, and may have difficultly living up to these expectations ( if they are to be enforced ) I do not have any problems understanding those who do not use proper grammar. The idea is absurd, you can't expect over a million users to use proper grammar.
kirbyquerby
05/10/2013 1:27 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Electrician
13, which is the age you're supposed to be to join this site, is not young; everyone should have good grammar by then. Also, I know plenty of people with English as their 2nd or 3rd language who have perfect grammar. There is no excuse.
Floppypancake31
05/10/2013 1:39 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
What if somebody started english 3 weeks ago, would that have fluent english? No.
kirbyquerby
05/10/2013 2:30 pm
If someone started English 3 weeks ago, they wouldn't be on an English website.
Chimpoid
05/10/2013 2:13 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Crafter
If English and American people used correct spelling and grammar the entire time it would probably help people learning English. For example, as an English person, you said english instead of English and also said 'would that have' which should really be would they have.
Xaverinn
05/04/2013 2:14 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
oh my god you guys are so cats pretentious just calm your cats about grammar
Zemor
05/04/2013 2:11 am
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
This suggestion is for a good purpose, but there are a lot of factors to consider. English isn't a first language for some. Some users don't receive the proper education.

While I would love to see this site evolve into a mature, educated community, I just don't see it happening in the near future. Children of younger ages tend to embrace spelling and grammatical mistakes. Even still, older ages have been known to produce the same faults as their younger counterparts.

Overall: it is a nice suggestion, but the factors to consider are just too overwhelming to succeed.
Necronic_Device
05/03/2013 5:44 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
I think words like u, hai, bai, ur, wtf, stfu, gtfo, etc. should be let on.
Team Origin
05/03/2013 5:43 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Engineer
You don't like Earth because of war? Oh, you shouldn't be here then.

Don't like the Internet because of improper grammar? Shouldn't be here then.

Oh wait. We need Earth and the Internet (everyone needs it at some point). We need it to survive, do work, communicate, meet new people across the world. On our planet, there will be people you don't like. Same goes with PMC and the Internet.

The answer? Deal with it, and move on. If you had any maturity you'd ignore it and put the issue aside.

~Sneaky
Xamboldore
05/03/2013 5:35 pm
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
That's a bad idea.
If someone says something incorrect but the point has gotten across, has the sentence not succeeded?
That's kinda how language evolves.
laserpigofdoom
05/03/2013 5:33 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
As I agree that proper grammar is a necessary skill, you cannot force seven year-olds on the internet, or anyone for that matter, to use it. It does bother me but doing so would make this website more like communist China than anything.
Team
05/03/2013 5:27 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
Wow, no offense but this goes on my top 10 worst forums list. It shouldn't be a rule where kids have to go to English classes just to write on the forums. What happens if you don't know English well and you get banned. If this was a rule PMC would lose TONS of people.
ProBooooiii
05/03/2013 5:09 pm
Having to take an IQ test and get that high of a mark is a very bad idea. Two thirds of people today aren't able to get that high, nevermind the people on PMC.
Korigon
04/30/2013 8:19 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
If you guys wish to have a good discussion - Very well. Stay on topic, and avoid flamewars. I don't want this getting all flame-y.
ImaLittleCreeper
04/30/2013 5:54 am
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
Do you guys know what GRAMMAR is? You mean SPELLING but GRAMMAR sounds more intimidating.
ZaphodX
04/30/2013 5:48 am
Level 40 : Master Network
Why stop here, why don't we police the internet for good grammar?
ImaLittleCreeper
04/30/2013 5:44 am
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
The following really bothers me
------------
Do you mean spelling- speling poblems
Or do you mean grammer- I go to the store and I bought milk. (not past tense)
ProBooooiii
04/29/2013 11:30 pm
^^^^^^That is so true
kirbyquerby
04/26/2013 11:17 pm
Proper grammar should be required everywhere. To be honest, it's not that hard to learn proper grammar. In 1st grade, I knew what many 10 year old today don't know- the difference between its and it's. People go to school their whole lives learning grammar, and really there is no excuse for not knowing it. If you don't use proper grammar, you look really stupid and in some cases make it extremely hard to determine what you mean. The whole point of grammar is to set standard rules, which everyone must follow. If you were playing a game, like football, you wouldn't randomly pick up the ball, would you? No- that would be against the rules, which state that only goalies can pick up the ball. Why should grammar be treated any differently?
sed11
04/26/2013 11:03 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
Proper grammar/language should not be forced as a rule. If it was, we'd be banning lot's of people for a bad reason.

-Some people leaving the site (Probably)
-More people saying "mawd aboose!"
Unless, of course, they actually understood the rule.
Whoever01
04/30/2013 5:38 am
Plus we need texting language everywhere.
DaSquyd
04/26/2013 11:00 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Toast
Keep in mind that not all the people here are from America of England, and many people don't know English as well as others. I say that as long as they get their point out, it's fine. Don't worry; when they fill out their job applications with that grammar, they'll get their just rewards.
ASF
04/26/2013 10:27 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
starflaremc
ProBooooiiiI think I speak for everyone when I say proper grammar should be a manditory rule for PMC. All of those little children who can't spell or use grammar well are very annoying. It can be quite difficult to understand what they are trying to say, when people type like this;

Lol you spelled mandatory wrong.

I get that you're trying to look for faults in his spelling, but it's not as bad AZ WUT A LOT UF PPL DO IN DU 4UHMS...
supertibba
04/26/2013 10:22 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Toast
WeLl Bd Grmmer Shuld Be tulleratEd BecAuse

Oh my god, I can't even be bad at grammar for a full sentence...
It shouldn't be mandatory, because the ones who are bad at grammar nowadays need to be picked on by grammar nazis (Including teachers) to learn...

Oh god, sucky isn't a word! No!
MasterSky
04/26/2013 10:27 pm
Level 42 : Master Lumberjack
The term "bad at grammar" is grammatically incorrect.
BoogyBear
04/26/2013 10:13 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Pixel Painter
ie dsagre
starflaremc
04/26/2013 10:13 pm

Lol you spelled mandatory wrong.
TheSuggsie
04/26/2013 10:09 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
I agree you should have good grammar but it shouldn't be mandatory. What are you gonna do, ban them for grammar mistakes? All you can say is
Whoever01
04/26/2013 10:03 pm
You are a Grammar Nazi. It is just a choice on 'do you want an easily read post' to what grammar you use. You should always be able to text in chat.

-Who
bob99
04/26/2013 5:38 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
This is what we need.
Aeons
04/26/2013 10:10 pm
Level 21 : Expert Lumberjack
Agreed.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024