Problems with OSX permissions and Bukkit

TheEvilKittyWizard's Avatar TheEvilKittyWizard9/16/13 6:27 pm
1 emeralds 138 3
9/16/2013 6:43 pm
aboveordinary's Avatar aboveordinary
The Story:
So I've been running a vanilla MC server for a while now, but I wanted to start a Bukkit server so that I could better manage it when it goes public. I downloaded it and did everything I was supposed to, but here's the problem:
The Problem:
To execute the .jar file and thus start the server, I need to input a command into Terminal. However, when I copy/paste the command, like I'm supposed to, it says I need to elevate my permissions to execute it. I've looked into it, and I've recently found that I need to do a command in terminal called "chmod". Now, where I'm getting confused is how to use chmod. I typed "chmod" into Terminal and it just brought up a bunch of gibberish that I couldn't really understand.

What I'd like to know is how to use chmod and how I can use it to elevate my permissions to the highest level. I'm running on OSX 10.8.4 if that helps.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help I get.
TheEvilKittyWizard
Level 43 : Master Nether Knight