No Internet for Administrator Accounts?

Xandra's Avatar Xandra6/7/13 2:24 pm
6/8/2013 1:33 am
Xandra's Avatar Xandra
So, as I'm pretty sure you already know, on a windows computer you have your guest and administrator accounts. The administrator account has full access to everything, while the guest has just about jack.

My computer last night, as I was attempting to post a skin here, oddly enough, decided to no longer want to connect to the internet. I've tried restarting it, did a system recovery, virus scan- nothing. I troubleshooted the internet and still got nothing. My uncle tried using my ethernet wire and I attempted his- he had no problem, but still I've got nothing.

Then, as I was restarting again, I remembered the old guest account on my computer that no one uses. For giggles, I attempted using it- and behold, it works. Except this is a guest account, I can't do anything: No minecraft or skype being the worst of these things.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? This being either the guest/administrator issue or the internet's lack of working...ness....
Xandra
Level 31 : Artisan Zombie

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Xandra
06/08/2013 1:33 am
WELL THEN. All we needed to do was reset the modem apparently. 3 times. ide.

ALL IS WELL. CARRY ON.
krugle
06/07/2013 6:43 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
that works too, sorry for the gender confusion hope it all works out for you
Xandra
06/07/2013 6:46 pm
no problem =v=b it happens to me a lot on here for some reason. And thank you, I hope it does soon as well.
Xandra
06/07/2013 6:36 pm
I need to wait for the old man to get home first to use another system to download. But now my techy friend is yelling at me and telling me to go to the repair place before I do any more damage ^^; I'm just... going to deal with what I have for now. The shop is closed today, but I can call in the morning. Also I'm a girl, not that it bothers me much to be referred to as he but just saying asdfaslfkj
krugle
06/07/2013 6:30 pm
He can use the guest account which unless I missed a comment has internet access to download the file combofix doesn't need to install it is a run once program, if he is unable to download it from that computer he can use another system to download it then put it on a flash stick to copy it over there then all he needs to do is boot the system up in safemode and run it.
Xandra
06/07/2013 6:29 pm
I think... I think it might just be time to bury this laptop. It's sort of running for now, but it doesn't look good. There's a repair shop down the street, and if they can't help, I was thinking about getting a new one in a year from now or so anyways since mine has been running a bit oddly.

Thank god for having a job and being able to afford a new one @_@; thank you all for your help vwv
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 6:26 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
It is, when he can't install anything, Krugle.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 6:00 pm
And on the admin account, you can't get any websites to work?
Xandra
06/07/2013 6:02 pm
The admin account can't access the internet at all. Not for logging into minecraft, for skype, for chrome, mozilla, internet explorer- anything. It says I'm connected, and some of the skype messages my friends were sending me sent, but nothing I sent was ever recieved by them.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 5:51 pm
Hrmm.. Try doing the same on the guest account? (You'll probably have to input a password, if you have one set up)
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:55 pm
So odd, it still can't identify a problem. I can only get gaiaonline, pmc, google and the best buy website to work. Nothing else will load. Obviously there is a problem troubleshooter, go home, you're drunk |"T
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 5:33 pm
Ok, well, that's not going to work - That automatically runs it, and that's not going to help.
Open up "Network and Sharing Center"
Click "Troubleshoot Problems"
Right click "Internet Connections"
Click "Run as Administrator"

Do that, exactly. No shortcuts.
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:42 pm
Ah, there we go, that worked. Except I'm getting the same response from the troubleshooter once it finishes. How sad... I think this must just be the end for my laptop. This is probably what I get for not having any protection on it for 2 1/2 years.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 5:14 pm
You're going into "Troubleshoot problems" and then right clicking on "internet connections?"
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:18 pm
the way it usually works on mine is clicking the internet connections, right clicking and it brings up troubleshoot problems. right or left clicking on that automatically is starting it though.
Oni__
06/07/2013 5:09 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Literally make a new account, if the Internet on that works something's wrong with your current account, on said new account get malwarebytes and preform a full disk scan, after this try using a registry cleaner such as CCcleaner.
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:21 pm
I actually had a similar idea when I realized I could use the internet *sort of* on this guest account. But the new administrator account is being treated the same as my old one, oddly enough.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 5:05 pm
Krugle, having computer issues doesn't mean you have a virus. -.-
krugle
06/07/2013 6:12 pm
No but it is always a good place to start when trouble shooting running combofix takes about 20 minutes to run and if it is a virus it would fix that. Even if it is not a virus is 20 minutes really that big of a deal if for no other reason then to rule it out?

(I spent 6 years working in computer repair shops this was always our first step and more often then not it fixed it)
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 5:04 pm
Hrmm.. Well, first, have you tried running the troubleshooter as an administrator? (Log into the admin account, and right click and select "run as administrator")
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:10 pm
Hmm, i just attempted to do such. When I did, it just automatically started the troubleshooter. I've done this kind of action on my computer before, I'm confused as to why I can't now..
krugle
06/07/2013 5:02 pm
Sounds like one hell of a virus. IF you can get yourself combofix its a free run once program itll clean everything out of your computer just make sure you start your system in safe mode with networking.
Xandra
06/07/2013 5:05 pm
ack, i did a virus scan before and it came up with nothing. but what is combofix? Because I can't download anything on this laptop at the moment since I'm stuck on this guest account. Guest accounts have 0 power.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 4:58 pm
What browser are you using?
Xandra
06/07/2013 4:59 pm
Mozilla firefox at the moment. I don't have any other options on this guest account
Xandra
06/07/2013 4:53 pm
another update- I can't type on any text spaces on the internet, or click the new tabs button. I have to type all of my text in a notepad document and then paste them to the search bar or wherever they are needed.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 4:46 pm
Drivers don't have anything to do with internet, Hereiam - And even if they did, if it were the drivers, neither account would work. It's all the same computer.
Xandra
06/07/2013 4:52 pm
oh dear |T;;; well... I guess that removes that option then. And makes looking into a new laptop an even better option OTL
Xandra
06/07/2013 3:02 pm
Time to start trying all of these. Thank you to those of you who have suggested ideas vwv; The driver installer I'll have to wait though until the old man gets home so i can access his computer.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 2:32 pm
Had a problem like this, a while back - Try troubleshooting the internet connection again, in the administrator account, but this time right click and select "run as administrator."

It's a little redundant, I know, but it fixed my problems, and yours seem similar. (I never had a guest account to test that, but still the basic idea.)
sycoinc
06/07/2013 2:29 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
update your drivers but finding them and downloading them on a pc that has internet and then move the driver installs over to your pc and update...

look for your wireless card or network card drivers... if not make sure your network card isnt dead
gavinsgotdapower
06/07/2013 2:27 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Try getting a new wireless router
_DioM_
06/07/2013 2:32 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
*facepalm*
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com