BSOD, corrupt drivers, and Linux

Bleyd's Avatar Bleyd10/1/12 1:34 pm
1 emeralds 278 9
10/4/2012 1:22 pm
Bleyd's Avatar Bleyd
Before you ask, I've already tried Googling this to no avail. There are a lot of people on this site who have tons of experience with computers, so hopefully I can get a more straightforward and helpful answer from you guys.

For the past few months, my computer has been getting random stop errors (aka, the blue screen of death). The errors are both unprecedented and unpredictable. I could be playing a resource-demanding game for hours on end with no issues, then crash while reading an unenriched text document. Crashes could occur repeatedly in a short amount of time, or be absent for a day or more.

Using the event viewer and a blue screen debugger, I have determined that the problem is caused mainly by ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll, two core drivers in the system32 file. Since both of these processes are vital to the machine's performance, I cannot delete them for fear of owning a new paperweight. This information, coupled with the fact that System Recovery does not solve the problem, has led me to believe that the operating system itself is corrupt. The hardware has passed both BIOS and physical inspection.

So here's my question: Will installing and using a different operating system, e.g. Ubuntu, end this problem? Logically it seems that because the corrupt windows drivers would no longer be used, the stop errors would cease. Do Linux systems indeed come with their own drivers independent of Windows?
Bleyd
Level 20 : Expert Pirate

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Bleyd
10/04/2012 1:22 pm
Where can I download the OS? I tried getting a digital river iso but all they have is a dozen different files that need to be converted with other programs, half of which don't work. The only actual bootable iso I could find was for 7.

And yes Carole, I have the sticker with a Microsoft validation code on it. I assume when you go to install Vista, that's what it uses to confirm a purchase of the software, but since I deleted both the linux and Vista partitions, I can't boot the damn thing up at all now and have to use a USB.
zekesonxx
10/02/2012 10:02 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
Digital River Content is a official content stream from Microsoft. You can download copies of Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and lots of other various MS things like Office. You get the isos, which have to be burned to a disk or a flash drive to be used. Once you install it you will be prompted for a product key, this should be a sticker somewhere on your computer (Laptop users: May be under battery). Just type that in and you're good to go!
mommaCarole
10/01/2012 7:07 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
Bleyd, does your system have the sticker on it with the "genuine microsoft" CD key on it? if so, you can download your OS and burn it on a CD to reinstall
Bleyd
10/01/2012 6:44 pm
I would reinstall Windows but my machine didn't come with a boot disk or whatever it is. Come to think of it, none of the computers I've ever bought have come with an OS disk...

Regarding Digital River, is that content legitimate downloads of complete, clean systems? That seems a little too good to be true, not to mention illegal.
mommaCarole
10/01/2012 6:11 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
I would actually go for the clean reinstall of Windows as your best bet Bleyd. If you *ahem* don't have a legit copy of Windows though, going Ubuntu woulld probably be fine.
RoboSharks
10/01/2012 6:01 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
Wubi is the autoinstaller. So he can still dual boot.
RoboSharks
10/01/2012 4:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
If you get the Wubi installer for Ubuntu it will auto get all the drives to work with no config at all I am pretty sure that is how all Linux work with auto getting drivers as I used a live linux off my flashdrive at school using fedora and everything worked no problem.
zekesonxx
10/01/2012 4:46 pm
Wubi isn't going to help him if Windows keeps BSODing.
zekesonxx
10/01/2012 4:15 pm
What you should do is backup your information, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall Windows. You can get a CD for your operating system from Digital River Content.

Linux != Windows. Linux does have it's own drivers, and they have pretty much nothing to do with Windows.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome