Do you think Minecraft was better when it was simpler?

DMB2121's Avatar DMB212111/10/14 9:20 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 29
11/11/2014 1:50 pm
Nbrandwine's Avatar Nbrandwine
So, I hear a lot of people say "Minecraft was WAY better before all of the updates."
Where do you fall on the spectrum? Do you think it was best back then or right now? If back then, when did it get worse? What about it made you lose interest? (And please don't get in heated arguments with others, I just wonder what other people think.)

Personally, I believe it was best a long time ago. About 2012, when it started to become big. It seemed to be way more fun then. Maybe it was because it was so much simpler, and caused people to really work and strive to make what they desired. Or maybe it's just because I was younger. Idk.
DMB2121
Level 48 : Master Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Nbrandwine
11/11/2014 1:50 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
>implying minecraft is harder now

The only thing harder is redstone and command blocks, and in terms of survival you don't need them to live (redstone makes shit automatic, command blocks are only for cheating noobs in a "This is my survival map with no cheats!" world).
Patchpen
11/11/2014 12:45 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dolphin
alright, I'm gonna list the ups and downs of 1.8 off the top of my head.

+Slime blocks (bouncy and sticky, how does that work?)
+New Commands (/clone is awesome on its own, but with everything else...)
+Armor Stands (Just look at all the fun stuff sethbling is doing!)
+Banners (Just awesome)
+New Block/Item data stuff (Being able to pick what can/cannot be broken with a pick in adventure mode? Genius.)
+Depth strider (I always hated boats)
+New doors and fences (Finally!)

-Ocean Temples (A pain to get in, and not worth the loot.)
-Rabbits (Cute, but bland, only slightly more useful then bats)
-Endermites (at least until the master plan happens)
-Andesite, diorite, and granite (at least make slabs and steps.)
Find Them Creepers
11/11/2014 11:55 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
It's obviously better now. It's the same with more content. The only reason people dislike the new updates is because they can go "I'm disappointed with new updates. Do you understand what that means? I've been playing this longer than you, you peasant!"
Tabbin
11/11/2014 11:29 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Batman
Personally, Minecraft's better now, how can you say 'i like it back when it was 2012' when there's a bunch more things adding, you're contradicting your self..

The community was much better in 2012, i have to agree with that but meh. I like it now because i usually dont play multiplayer. Just some minigames.
MinecraftVids
11/11/2014 11:24 am
Level 1 : New Network
alpha was the best !
the_blocktor
11/11/2014 3:00 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
Pre 1.8... I.7 was the best version
Jetra
11/11/2014 1:02 am
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Alpha will always have a special place in my heart, but the new updates aren't too bad, more blocks means more creativity even though I'm about as artistic as a ball of yarn. I wouldn't say it was better, just was different.
Johnanater
11/11/2014 12:55 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Yes and no.
I started privately hosting a Beta 1.3 server with the old hMod, I love it and it's fun but I always yell that I can't shift-click or any of the new features.
I love the new features like command blocks, some new physics updates and stuff, but on somethings Mojang's gone overboard...
Johnson J
11/10/2014 11:40 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Personally I think it was better and more fun back during the peak that it was "growing" because not alot of people played it but at the same time you see your favorite YouTube content creators today that have been playing the game since the beginning and in a way they were rewarded for that, because they were the first ones to spark out of the woodwork for original minigames and videos, now its just a custer f*ckery of channels on youtube associated with Minecraft and you have useless updates that for the most part doesn't make the game much better because it doesn't change the overall experience there are just little things to put in place just to say "We added a new block" or something along the lines of that. Most of these updates can be just standalone mods.
CreeperSoul23
11/10/2014 11:18 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Creeper
dog51848
DMB2121
I'M SORRY MINECRAFT, IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S ME

Best quote of 2014

+ 1000 likes.
Marthellio
11/10/2014 11:12 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Before 1.8........where I was happy.
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
11/11/2014 12:09 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragonborn
Colonellooo
11/11/2014 12:05 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Create new profile > set to version 1.7. Congratulations now you can be happy!
DMB2121
11/10/2014 11:09 pm
Yeah, i agree, servers seemed a lot better back then. Now they are all huge Hunger Game servers, or just regular mini game servers. Seriously, what happened to what sippiboy described?! Going on to servers with literally no point, and having fun with like the 10 players online was the best! Now, there are no servers like that, they are all just minigames, which is way less fun then the old servers, in my opinion!
SneakyLunatic69
11/10/2014 10:49 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Birb
I like all the command block and redstone possibilities of 1.3+ but the servers have gone downhill. EVERY server is the exact same with KitPvP, Hunger Games, Factions. All those plugin filled games that get boring so quickly. The older servers from 2012 + all the possibilities of 1.8 and that would be awesome!
sippiboy
11/10/2014 10:42 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
Minecraft was fun a long time ago where you could join a server and it was just a server no fancy plugins and anti grief you just joined and played and you met new people and had fun and then you get on a random server and then you grief a little bit maybe steal some items and hide them, i liked when minecraft was simpler but i was also younger and was noobish i wish i still was noobish and played for fun and all, but now i feel like it is almost the same all the time i always know what i am doing when i join a server there's not a lot of unoriginal plugins, theres all of these 8 year olds trying to make a hunger game server because they love bajancanadian in some ways minecraft was better when simpler but in other ways minecraft now is better , they both have there ups and downs
Colonellooo
11/10/2014 10:19 pm
DMB2121

Best quote of 2014
DMB2121
11/10/2014 9:36 pm
I've come to a realization.
The new content is really not bad, and I haven't had a problem with it. But back when it was smaller, and the community was just the right size, multiplayer was that much more fun. Also, all my friends were into it as much as I was. Also I was much younger and the whole idea of Minecraft was baffling. It really was prime time for Minecraft.
Cheezbergur11
11/10/2014 9:33 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
I agree to a point; I believe some of the new stuff they added are better for the game, like being able to put text ON the player's screen and other cool stuff like in 1.8.

Honestly, before then, I thought things started to get kinda pointless around 1.4 or 1.5, back then they were just adding new blocks and really minor, boring things.

I started playing in 1.2.5, and I can still say that 1.3 was my favorite update.

But is it better now than it was before? In some ways, yes, in other ways, no.
BreakingElm641
11/10/2014 10:49 pm
Level 21 : Expert Toast
^Agreed

*EDIT: Hey, I also started playing in 1.2.5 and 1.3 was my favorite update...
Click to reveal

Also I cant fit this into my signature, so just read these, they're impossible to do:
Click to reveal
-Trying to explain color to a blind person without saying the names of any colors.

-Trying to think of colors that don't exist.

-Trying to explain what color a mirror is.

-Trying to describe what language deaf people think in.

-Trying to describe what flavor water is.

-Trying to describe pain to someone who never has, or will, feel pain.

-Explaining flavor without mentioning other flavors/foods.
CommanderNeville
11/10/2014 9:32 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
I started in late 2011, around the 1.7.3 update. Personally, it may seem like it was better back then, but to compare the newer versions to the older versions is like comparing two completely different games.
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
11/11/2014 12:09 am
1.7.3 came out this year... .-.
Colonellooo
11/11/2014 12:10 am
He probably means Beta 1.7.3 which was also the version I started on.
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
11/11/2014 12:10 am
That makes more sense.
VertziForte
11/10/2014 9:30 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
They're usually just people with rose tinted lenses glued on their face if they don't appreciate how minecraft evolved to this.
A lot of kinks and bugs were fixed, a lot of things were introduced; and there are endless of possibilities now that there are more updates to sift through.

But yeah like what Azie said; they do have the option of going back to the previous versions and have as much fun as they want there. xD
DMB2121
11/10/2014 9:28 pm
True, the new content isn't bad, but I just don't have the creativity to put it to use xD
Colonellooo
11/10/2014 9:25 pm
No I don't believe it was more fun. Less to do, gets boring more quickly, and now with command blocks and such there are some amazing adventure maps never possible before.
Azie
11/10/2014 9:24 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
I love all the new content, so I'm gonna say it's better now. Even if I didn't like the new content, we have the option to play older versions.
bobbiecraftstoday123
11/10/2014 9:29 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome