Why do people grief?

xsamurai's Avatar xsamurai1/19/14 10:18 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 63
1/20/2014 3:56 pm
G0dlyCheese's Avatar G0dlyCheese
Why do people always grief?

Like GNUK, People work so hard to build stuff and get players for servers, then just some idiots come, apply for admin and then grief the whole server!

Why.

Griefers just waste peoples times. But why?
xsamurai
Level 15 : Journeyman Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Circuit Craft
01/20/2014 3:55 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
It's funny, and when you grief something important, it gives you a rush of adrenaline.
Also, no repercussions, there are tons of servers to grief on
G0dlyCheese
01/20/2014 3:56 pm
Level 48 : Master Pegasus
You're a griefer if you think it's funny.
Gear01
01/20/2014 3:42 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
Haven't People considered that griefing is a way to only let the player who greifed feel as strong as possible, think about. In a society that power and fear is the only way to get respect, then why don't they get respect. Bullies and Cyber-bullies are not the same type of bully. You are in virtual world where anything can be created, well isn't that just what it is, a griefer is a fear factor, in a game like minecraft, where anything can be built, if this is so true, then let the player build respect in the same society works. Games were never truly fun, only giving your power. Lets say I'm playing COD but on single player, I feel powerful because I am better then the computer, While playing on line, I am the worst possible. Minecraft without griefers wouldn't have much since, If I can build I can destroy. If I can collect resources and can destroy them too. Lets say I set fire to a wooden house, I have just created something minecraft was supposed to have. So... Griefing isn't a part of minecraft it was IN MINECRAFT. Mining is techanically grefing the world, SO there is really no point to say much about it.
n8mo
01/20/2014 3:24 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
I have griefed, only on raid/PvP servers, and I don't do it anymore.

The reasoning is varied.

1: A lot of people just like to ruin another person's day, these are often the same kind of people who start flame wars.

2: Some do it because they need the items, which in my opinion is somewhat justified if griefing is allowed by the server. (this is what I did.)

3: Some do it because they have the items, these are those guys with protection 5 diamond armour, and sharpness 5 swords, normally donators who have nothing better to do.

4: Some do it for revenge, you said something mean to them, griefed them, or they just generally don't like you.

5: Some do it because they feel poorly of themselves and can only feel better by beating someone else int a pulp.
enderguy458
01/20/2014 3:24 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragon
Same question: y do people bully people...
cuz they are bullys
VeryMadCrafter
01/20/2014 3:19 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
Beacuse they hate themselves.
Treyvaderxio
01/20/2014 3:17 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
Either that, or this.

Griefing can become an addiction. For example, you grief someone who stole your diamonds. You feel great after watching them suffer for stealing your stuff. So you take that good feeling and think: "if I grief ppl, I feel good". Then, you become a GRIEFER.

Story said
Treyvaderxio
01/20/2014 2:58 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
Because they can't build themselves.
McJackson3180
01/20/2014 12:14 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
dudefish3You guys are acting like griefing is the worst thing ever in the universe. Sure, it's bad, mean, and shouldn't be done, but quite frankly griefing is part of the game. If someone accepts an admin that griefed, it's bad that he griefed, but he never should have been accepted. There are countless threads like this so you should just look at up next time.
mynick8888Heres 10 facts

1) they are bored
2) they are idiots
3) they like to bully
4) they got nothing else to do
5) they do it to impress others
6) they think its funny
7) they like to get other people mad
8) they try to prove them selves better
9) they are jelious ( you know if i cant have u cant have)
10) they do it for no reason.

And clearly you have no experience at all with griefers. Is it the griefer that is an idiot, or the owner who clearly doesn't know what grief prevention is, and how to roll back things.

Your point is so valid, yes griefing isn't good, but if you have griefed someone, you can't say that it wasn't fun, plus most servers have grief protection like logblock or core protect
LoZFTW
01/20/2014 11:49 am
Level 24 : Expert Warrior
1: To waste people's time and efforts.
2: For more building material.
3. Because they love it.
4: There bored.
5: They wanna do it.
Vyn
01/20/2014 10:52 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
I've griefed before (only when the server allows it) and there are really three reasons for it.
1) to get revenge for when they griefed me
2) because I desperately need materials
3) because it is something entertaining to do when I don't feel like working on my base.
Now, I know, only the first two seem just, but I do avoid new players and typically only do ones what are bragging about how great they are, cursing, or offended someone.
TheShadowKingHD
01/20/2014 10:46 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Dragon
I have never really griefed and caused a lot of damage. I own a server and I do not even let past griefers on my server. I just do not understand ruining hours and hours of somebodies very hard work. It is really mean and selfish. I honestly don't understand why someone would want to take hours and hours of hard work right out of somebodies life. What if you are making a little 11 year old cry their eyes out? It is just terrible. I have been griefed multiple times and it never felt nice. If I get griefed there is always revenge. Last time I got griefed I searched google/skype/minecraft/youtube and everything and I found the guys that griefed my friends and I. It was my fun from there. Anyways I don't understand how people are that cruel.
xsamurai
01/20/2014 10:32 am
have any of you guys griefed?
0Pengu
01/20/2014 10:38 am
Level 26 : Expert Network
I have never griefed in my minecraft life. :p
Thegamemagnet
01/19/2014 11:31 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
I sometimes grief rich players not like make it all disgusting but just tear sown decorations for your own and grab loot you'll need. In some ways griefing is wrong but in my opinion it just goes with the saying "Survival of the fittest" tear people down so you can build up.
machinimagame2
01/19/2014 11:16 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Because it's human nature, people want to destroy things other people worked hard on. It's the way humans are we all want to do it at some times.
iansonwheels
01/19/2014 7:54 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Geek
They are troubled, angry, jealous, and want to destroy things built by people they wish they were

If griefers learned to build, and gained some respect for it, perhaps the whole practice would be disregarded, with the exception of faction and griefing-specified survival servers
arlodee
01/19/2014 7:47 pm
Level 22 : Expert Princess
Griefers actually aren't all underaged. Serious grief teams aren't comprised of children. This thread probably has the opinion of victims of griefing, who don't understand the motive of it.
Feriach
01/19/2014 5:44 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
I think the griefers are very important part of Minecraft community.(I am not one and never was.) Thanks to them, you can tell if the server is well configured or not. They are some kind of quality testers in MC. If one can't protect his own server, then he is not the right person to administrate one.
ASF
01/19/2014 7:53 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
This
ToadDan
01/19/2014 5:47 pm
Level 45 : Master Sheep
You think it's fun for people to keep on saying "Oh no, I've been griefed!"?
Leeberator
01/19/2014 5:15 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
dudefish3
the owner who clearly doesn't know what grief prevention is

I love that plugin.
zoossrocks
01/19/2014 4:55 pm
Level 27 : Expert Toast
People grief to get items they don't have time to find or enough in game money to buy it. I grief if somebody has dyed clay or wool because I don't have dyes.
Oni__
01/19/2014 4:24 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
ltlrckgal999 Two: they are mentally disturbed (Have issues in the noggin)

Official moron here folks.
Griefing does not make someone mentally disturbed.
Cndmwavoo
01/19/2014 4:18 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Cowboy
People greif because apparently pain is funny. Or at least that's how I see it.
ToadDan
01/20/2014 11:01 am
Level 45 : Master Sheep
^ This this this, so much this.
Ironjically
01/19/2014 4:14 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Architect
I think its one of two things. One: Its a little kid. Two: they are mentally disturbed (Have issues in the noggin)
aman207
01/19/2014 4:20 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
Biased.

There is no way that you could have obtained that information.
DXWang_
01/19/2014 4:11 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Nerd
dudefish3You guys are acting like griefing is the worst thing ever in the universe. Sure, it's bad, mean, and shouldn't be done, but quite frankly griefing is part of the game. If someone accepts an admin that griefed, it's bad that he griefed, but he never should have been accepted. There are countless threads like this so you should just look at up next time.
mynick8888Heres 10 facts

1) they are bored
2) they are idiots
3) they like to bully
4) they got nothing else to do
5) they do it to impress others
6) they think its funny
7) they like to get other people mad
8) they try to prove them selves better
9) they are jelious ( you know if i cant have u cant have)
10) they do it for no reason.

And clearly you have no experience at all with griefers. Is it the griefer that is an idiot, or the owner who clearly doesn't know what grief prevention is, and how to roll back things.

DUDEFISH!!! DUDEFISH!!!

IT'S YOU!
IT'S ME!
aman207
01/19/2014 4:08 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
Because its fun.
Its fun to have to see the people on the other end rebuild the house, or do extra work.

And who cares anyways? The griefers just go find another server, so they never stop. School bullies have a possibility of stopping since there are resources to help them, but griefers grief simply because they can. And that's it.
Super Byte
01/19/2014 4:08 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Griefing is a narcissistic sadistic obsession, when someone's hard work is at the mercy of your hands you feel powerful, who wouldn't? As you destroy their time and effort which they expressed in building it makes you feel in complete control as you watch them squirm. They beg for mercy, "spare me" they plead silently or not so silently, as you maybe stop for a second; pretending to consider it for a second then continue.

As you can probably tell, I have been a griefer at one stage of my minecraft experience.
ASF
01/19/2014 4:04 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
I've griefed people, but not like server spawns and stuff. Like on factions servers, when I raid someones base/take it over, I make sure that very little is left (I leave some blocks so it looks bad xD).
nricker12
01/19/2014 3:57 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Taco
I have griefed before, and I always did it because I was either bored, or getting revenge (like maybe someone griefed me, or stole stuff). I stopped though, because I thought about the time it took to build the thing, and that I was being a jerk. Instead, if someone does something, I'll get revenge by steal something valuable to the
Nobody132
01/19/2014 4:02 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
But I wanted a muffin......You...you stole my soul
Nobody132
01/19/2014 3:47 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
To people who say "Griefing is stupid, I don't get why people do it.", make sure you are on a server that is a BUILDING SERVER, not a GRIEFING/RAIDING/FACTION SERVER.

In my opinion, people grief because they don't want to do all the work of getting diamonds and getting supplies and/or they find it exciting when they crack open a home and steal their stuff and it gets their adrenaline pumping.
Colonellooo
01/19/2014 3:29 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Ill admit I did grief around 2 maybe 3 years ago. I stopped when I found out about factions servers and just raided on those instead of griefing others creations they worked hard on. It was kind of a thrill type thing. Possibility of being caught, possible ban, and you also gained resources.
notnobody
01/19/2014 3:25 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dolphin
I griefed a lot 1.8 era, coding hacked clients, etc. I did it because of the shits and giggles, nothing more.

I no longer use hacked clients / grief and don't plan to ever again.
JamieGre
01/19/2014 3:17 pm
Level 43 : Master Dolphin
They're usually 10 year old kids who don't understand that their actions bring consequences. You can't always blame them for this, they're too young to understand. However, this isn't always the case, there's always some mature people who grief just because they're idiots.

People usually think it is funny to grief too.
Floppypancake31
01/19/2014 3:24 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
Those '10 year old kids' Are deemed by the government responsible for their actions. They know exactly what they are doing, and they can definitely understand how it makes people feel. Most greifers are only greifers because they have been greifed in the past.
JamieGre
01/19/2014 3:28 pm
What you're saying is true. In real life situations, they understand when they're doing wrong. But some, (I'm not saying all of them) don't understand that just because it's in game, it's not a real life situation. They know that they'll get banned, but they don't realize who griefing affects the creator of the griefed build. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Some people are more mature than others. Some people are less mature than others.
Floppypancake31
01/19/2014 3:39 pm
Yeah, I guess I see your point.
JamieGre
01/19/2014 3:28 pm
What you're saying is true. In real life situations, they understand when they're doing wrong. But some, (I'm not saying all of them) don't understand that just because it's in game, it's not a real life situation. They know that they'll get banned, but they don't realize who griefing affects the creator of the griefed build. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Some people are more mature than others. Some people are less mature than others.
cchscp
01/19/2014 2:47 pm
Level 45 : Master Artist
You can't have too much security, and you need to be careful about who gets admin privileges.
iSayCr4pAlot
01/19/2014 2:43 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
Heres a tip as well: You can't just instantly give someone admin. You gotta first make them earn your trust
xsamurai
01/19/2014 2:34 pm
The game would be very different without griefers, and minecraft is a free to rome sandbox game.
RSpudieD
01/19/2014 2:05 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
i hate it when people grief me, but lucky for me, i haven't had to deal with it much. I really don't know why people do it, but they shouldn't
also, wouldn't the game be different if there wasn't griefers?
am i right?
Floppypancake31
01/19/2014 2:04 pm
It amuses them to see other people's reactions. I saw an example in a blog the other day, it said something like this:

Greifer: LOLOLOL U GOT GREIFED
Builder: Oh, come on, what the hell, man?
Greifer: LOLOL YOU'RE RAGING HAHAHA IT ISN'T EVEN A REAL THING STOP CRYING YOU BABY!!!!

And then it gave a real life example that went a bit like this:

A photographer sets up his equipment and backdrop to take a photo of a wild deer. He waits hours for one to come by. He takes his picture, but it doesn't come out correctly, so he does it again and again until he has the perfect photo. When he's driving home, he stops at a petrol station. Somebody sees his equipment and asks if he is a photographer. He replies yes excitedly, and takes out the photo of the deer to show the other man. When he comes back from paying for his petrol, he finds the other man tearing up the photograph. He says "Oh, what are you crying for? It isn't even a real deer."

Do you see my point? Greifers seem to think that, because it isn't a real structure, it's fine to destroy. It also amuses them, because they can make other people feel bad with barely any risk to themselves.
Starguy
01/19/2014 2:00 pm
Level 20 : Expert Ranger
once being a full time griefer i know hwy its because they think its fun and funny and the building looks so awesome they're jealous.
-Rusty-
01/19/2014 1:56 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
I was a full time griefer once, so let me tell you why and what I heard.

When someone is screaming because of you, and they can't do anything, it makes you feel powerful doesn't it? Makes you feel like you have control over them? Like you could just threaten to grief the next build and they'd do anything.

Except, then you wouldn't feel powerful. Like school bully's, they bully smaller ones because they know that the victim can't do anything about it, and it makes them feel powerful, important. That's what everyone subconsciously and/or consciously wants, to either feel powerful or important.

On the other hand, the other 50% of the spectrum just does it because there's nothing else to do, learn, or build in Minecraft, so naturally the opposite is, destroying everything.

~R
capo
01/19/2014 1:49 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
i sometimes grief because im bored, and its fun and lame. no im not an idiot or anything, but why not do something bad and still get away for it? besides, i grief for a good cause
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome