Why Does No One Want To Be a Player

HeroMaid's Avatar HeroMaid4/6/16 5:40 am
1 emeralds 3.2k 99
4/16/2016 1:26 pm
AncientRealms's Avatar AncientRealms
so tell me if I am wrong Minecraft is a game where you mainly survive (not counting creative mode) so why is it that whenever on my server when someone new joins these questions were asked?

Can I Have Op?
Can I Be An Admin/Mod/CO-Owner?
Do You Need a Developer?

and if you turn around and say no you get abuse/griefed followed by them logging off.

Why is it that no one to be a player unless they get perms or a role of some importance, my sister's and I who do all the Adminy stuff we play survival most the time we only don't if we're building something for the server or sorting out a problem.

Anyway the main point to this is Why is it no one wants to be a player?

We just told a player no to having a role, ended with our server being DDOS does the immaturity ever ends.
HeroMaid
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

risha
04/13/2016 2:19 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
Am I the only person who didn't get this that much? I've owned a server for nearly six months now, and I've have one player who has begged. No griefers, trollers or staff wannabes.
I've seen them on other servers I've played on, sure, but I can't for the life of me understand why we don't get these kids. We don't have an age gate or anything, and we're not that much of a 'serious server': I was just over thirteen when I started setting it up.
Even a previous server of mine I owned for a few months when I was a complete newbie to the server owning game and knew nothing was never DDOS'ed or filled with immature trolls. Has anyone else not had any silly kids on their server doing stupid stuff?
HeroMaid
04/13/2016 2:52 pm
you will not believe how lucky you are
AncientRealms
04/16/2016 1:26 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Yea, Like you'd expect atleast 70% of the total amount of players joined to have begged for staff or something alike x)
tobbestark
04/13/2016 11:44 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Papyrus_
HeroMaid
We just told a player no to having a role, ended with our server being DDOS does the immaturity ever ends.

report them to the FBI, if you know his IP by a plugin what tells his IP, you can easily report him

You don't need a plugin to see his IP. All you need is access to the server console and you can see EVERYONE'S IP
HeroMaid
04/13/2016 11:44 am
CaptainMurica
Papyrus_
report them to the FBI, if you know his IP by a plugin what tells his IP, you can easily report him

Unless they're behind a proxy or VPN. Then again, the FBI may be able to get a warrant to get the proxy/VPN service to reveal who was using the spoofed IP at the time of the threat.

just throwing it out there I AM BRITISH and they have a proxy
Leeberator
04/13/2016 10:40 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Papyrus_

Unless they're behind a proxy or VPN. Then again, the FBI may be able to get a warrant to get the proxy/VPN service to reveal who was using the spoofed IP at the time of the threat.
AncientRealms
04/13/2016 9:13 am
Level 1 : New Network
So, I've had many different types of servers.. But as already said by many others, Most just want to grief if they're given a position as they're immature 10 year olds.

I cant say enough that most of the people from PMC will ask for a staff position if you put your server on here. Not trying to diss PMC, its a good place, But you could also put your server on heaps of others, And majority of players from other sites wont ask straight on joining from my experience.

Most players think that survival is too easy and boring, So they'd prefer to be a staff member to help out, But most just want to grief while you're away

I just go with the straight up, No unless they chat me up a little first Then i say apply on our forums after you've played a few weeks and ill look around.
ArcaneHub
04/13/2016 8:56 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
As a recent server owner, I can not agree enough. It's so hard to find people who just want to play minecraft without asking to be staff or something. :/
YTCereal
04/13/2016 3:36 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
HeroMaid

diablox234
04/12/2016 5:40 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
the reason people want staff position or op, is because it's way more fun than survival; you can fly, teleport as far as you want, spawn items, you're basically a god!
in all honesty, when people ask for op, they don't expect it to get it. if they do, though, people will become responsible with this newfound power, because they didnt expect to have it and want to respect the power, or atleast that's what i like to tell myself.

and while i'm at it...

to clear this all up, the reason i got xray is so it could facilitate my bulding needs; i wanted to build something huge, so stone tools, for example, a stone axe, wouldn't cut it (heh). so i enabled xray so i could gather diamonds and get on with the building. i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong in that. also, for me, the fun in minecraft is building, not constantly searching for minerals. diamond tools just makes life so much easier, not to mention their durability and speed.
HeroMaid
04/13/2016 2:59 am
you don't need to justify it for them , your on my server and i've said its fine
WitherNet
04/12/2016 12:42 pm
Ahem... One moment. U haz server, can i haz admin? Sorry, I just had to. I understand how it feels. It suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Leeberator
04/11/2016 10:15 pm
Cultist_no goals in survival

Huh?
Cultist_
04/11/2016 8:51 pm
If I was to guess, people like having power. (Not to be offensive,) Mainly children/pre-teens.
And people can't stand being a player because they have no goals in minecraft; it's a creative game after all. And with having no goals in survival, that only leaves creative mode where players are essentially allowed to do anything. If you give some incentive into spending time on a server, they will stop.
For example, I've seen a RPG server that used a quiz over the storyline before applicants could even apply. It was very successful and they've had the best admin team I've ever seen for a server. And this is coming from someone whose been an admin for a server for a total of 4 years now... And other servers for another 2 years before, I can easily admit none of those teams were actually structured and it was basically all up for grabs with little to no thought or effort.
Pspman345
04/11/2016 8:14 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
From what I've learned, you get more trolls than real players. Real players don't look to apply for staff the moment they join. They just play on the server. However, I'll tell you this from personal experience. Veteran players on your server, gather up at a very slow rate. You need to be very patient to actually gain a playerbase. It took me three months for my first server to have an average playerbase of around 12-14 players that just wanted to have fun on Minecraft. A much more effective way of dealing with players asking for ranks, (in my opinion) is to simply have a sign, or a message next to your new player spawnpoint.

Make it say strictly, "You must be (this) rank to apply for staff!! Asking for a rank before achieving this certain rank will lead to a permanent MUTE!". I use this tactic, and it works very well. I've warded off dozens of trolls. If they do still ask for OP, permanently mute them then give them a book and quill. Privately message them, that this book is their only method of being unmuted. Ask them to beg for forgiveness, and acknowledge their mistakes. If you don't find the apology adequate enough, then simply make them suffer even more. Give them another chance at writing their apology, if they fail this time, permanent ban. I tend to get a good laugh, and some satisfaction at watching the trolls beg for forgiveness. Most of the time, they end up to be permanently banned. While I do realize this method is questionable, and subject to some spot-on criticism, my excuse is that we have a strict policy that is against asking for staff.
UCraftServer
04/11/2016 7:20 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Cowboy
I have 6 years of server owning experience. I'll help you out here.

so tell me if I am wrong Minecraft is a game where you mainly survive (not counting creative mode) so why is it that whenever on my server when someone new joins these questions were asked?

Can I Have Op?
Can I Be An Admin/Mod/CO-Owner?
Do You Need a Developer?

and if you turn around and say no you get abuse/griefed followed by them logging off.

You are doing it the wrong way. Things like "You might abuse persm" or "That's how you get griefed." will make the player leave. I like to do the "Apply for a staff position, I will take a look at it" and when I get it, I put it in the trash bin. EASY! If they ask how long, say "a few more months, to see if you are staff material" They won't stay for a month, because they never wanted to play your server from the start.

Why is it that no one to be a player unless they get perms or a role of some importance, my sister's and I who do all the Adminy stuff we play survival most the time we only don't if we're building something for the server or sorting out a problem.

Anyway the main point to this is Why is it no one wants to be a player?

This is kinda false. In my six years, I have had 4 people turn down a staff position. Yes, that is a small amount, but it's still 4 people. The issue is people aren't joining your server to play on it. They are joining it to hope to see you freak out over all the tnt, and lag, and /stop spam. Actual players won't ask for a staff position.

Are you local hosting? I'd recommend not doing that. Pay $2 for a vps host. Also, I'd suggest putting your IP behind a URL. Here is where you can do it.
http://www.noip.com/
HeroMaid
04/12/2016 2:55 am
your lucky if you don't get many players joining, we also have tnt/fire disabled so i have no fear and if we think someone is up to no good we can vanish watch or inventory watch if needed, but that for your other help i will look into it.
EddyFlipinWon
04/11/2016 7:01 pm
I seen this happen to my friend's server and I ask my friend to mute/temp ban/ban. Even when I play on small servers I see it happen. When I play on my friend's server I would not have OP because normally I have no need to do anything like that. I don't even use it on a weekly basis. BTW out of pure curiosity is there a slot for me to play on? I like to start play more non-modded minecraft. Thanks for reading what I have to say about those people that want OP all the time. So far I banned at least 3 people that kept asking for OP. They think it cool and have bragging rights.
HeroMaid
04/11/2016 7:08 pm
Theres always room for a small one, i now just get people come on and ask as a joke cause of this post
EddyFlipinWon
04/12/2016 4:55 pm
I am no person that like to joke much. When I ask I am serous even if I can't play the most out of everyone I still try to catch up with everyone in 3 days. I enjoy small community more than anything because there are not as much drama.
HeroMaid
04/12/2016 5:31 pm
Its a public server if you want to join you can i was saying that a couple of the player who have joined my server since this thread happened had joking ask to be staff first before saying they've seen the post, they've stuck around.
Marthellio
04/11/2016 6:42 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Just a word of advice from a fellow server owner. Bitter or Better. Small servers can become decent over-time, don't focus on the negativity you've been receiving, but take a look at what you're working on, and improve it.

Also, if you a afford it, get DDOS protection (My playerbase is around 20 average online at a time, so I have to get DDOS protection)

-Captain
revised_mercury
04/11/2016 6:33 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
I agree, i made a server to try and get people to play and have fun the way minecraft should be played instead any new person who visits only wants staff, and when you refuse they just leave...hard to find a good group of people who just want to play survival...if you find a good group let me know lol
Dunethunder76mx
04/11/2016 6:11 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Magical Girl
I sure hate when this happens, I personally don't believe in staff applications I pick my staff on maturity, responsibility, and trust. If they ask I mute them, if they continually ask I will either temp ban or ban em. 90% of these kids who threaten to DDoS don't even know what SSH is let alone know how to DDoS.
HeroMaid
04/11/2016 11:43 am
Panda_Apocalypse
GloDanYea I'm looking for just good players come check me out if you choose

resurgence.mchost.pro

My ex is a good player

*claps* I had to finish laughing to write this ^^
Panda_Apocalypse
04/11/2016 9:51 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist

resurgence.mchost.pro

My ex is a good player

Azrath
04/11/2016 2:58 am
Level 25 : Expert Button Pusher

resurgence.mchost.pro

Are you that desperate???
bonnydust
04/10/2016 9:57 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Players get it the best, all the fun and none of the hard work that goes with running a great server. Though of course those who continously ask to be made a mod or given op- generally just want the perks and wouldnt do any of the work anyway.

NVM I have never yet considered someone for a mod position who has ASKED me to be one.
HeroMaid
04/11/2016 4:09 pm
We just tell them not now come back never and we will let you know if we have them then
SansLovesPugs
04/10/2016 8:59 pm
Level 25 : Expert Pig
I know this won't help but, my brother had a server made up of all his friends. They did a ton of hard work and then he invited this one kid on who literally refused to do any work. He insisted that my brother and his friends do all the mining and work for him and he even stole their diamonds. There are people like this everywhere. Don't worry, good people will come. See it's just like this: annoying 5-year-olds are to new servers what moths are to light. Then, when the server is not as new, good players come. Players who actually want to PLAY and don't want to just get op. Hope this helped, I know it didn't.
macgarthur
04/10/2016 7:27 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
HeroMaid
CaptainMurica
HeroMaid
technically no rule was broken, i have no rules against X-ray and they aren't banned anymore

I'm curious - why do you not have a rule against x-ray?

The only person the player is cheating is themselves, if they want to take the fun out of mining an getting resources they can who am i to tell them not to

They're also essentially pirating resources from real players who do not cheat. I don't understand why you would allow x-ray but hey if you allow it all the power to you, it's your server after all you make the rules.
HeroMaid
04/10/2016 6:12 pm
CaptainMurica
HeroMaid
The only person the player is cheating is themselves, if they want to take the fun out of mining an getting resources they can who am i to tell them not to

But someone could fairly easily clear a large area of ores, forcing other players to venture out far to go mining.

with how much strip mining happens around the spawn area and others i'm surprised they even found any materials, but to me it doesn't matter, i can live with it and i think its better then going around stealing other peoples ores, or breaking building to get the resources easily
Latiodile
04/10/2016 6:10 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
CaptainMurica
But someone could fairly easily clear a large area of ores, forcing other players to venture out far to go mining.

You have to venture out far anyway
Leeberator
04/10/2016 6:07 pm
HeroMaid

HeroMaid
04/10/2016 6:05 pm
CaptainMurica
HeroMaid
technically no rule was broken, i have no rules against X-ray and they aren't banned anymore

Latiodile
04/10/2016 6:01 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
-advertisement-

You clearly did not read the thread.
SlimBean_
04/10/2016 5:59 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Yea I'm looking for just good players come check me out if you choose

-
Leeberator
04/10/2016 5:50 pm
HeroMaid

HeroMaid
04/10/2016 2:22 pm
macgarthur
diablox234hey there. just wanted to say that it's me, diablox234, the guy you banned for not telling you where i got my diamond tools.

so since i'm banned it couldn't possibly get any worse, so i'll go ahead and tell ya, i used xray to find the diamonds. almost 100% of the time, when op discovers someone has xray, they're instantly banned, but think of it like this: i joined yesterday when no op was on. the town wasn't protected, i had the choice to destroy eveything.

but y'know what? i didn't. because i liked the place, it was nice. i explored the place and came upon a small ship in the (castle dock is my best guess). so back to the xraying, me and this guy saw the ship and decided to produce a large-scale ship close to it. it had taken us around 3 hours to get to where we were, i remind you we were in survival and had to gather the materials, and could not just spawn em.

so i went and got some diamonds, made some tools, started chopping some wood and that's how far we got. it was late so i left, hoping to continue this tomorrow. oh but what are the odds, heromaiden asked me where i found the diamonds along with the diamond tools, in total disregard for the huge ship close by. clearly i could not say i xrayed, because i'd instantly get banned, no matter what my motive for xraying was. so i said i found em, then someone gave it to me, and after not getting the info she wanted (she probably wanted me to tell her i xrayed so she could ban me), i got banned regardless for 'stealing lying and lying again'. isn't this just the best community, where people don't judge others based on what they have, but wether or not they're good or bad people.

looking forward to replies, hopefully they're not full of hate.

So you admitted to breaking the rules, knew you were breaking the rules, lied to a staff member knowing if you told the truth you'd be banned, made up a couple different stories for how you got the diamonds, and they banned you.

What's the problem? You knew what you were doing was wrong and would get you banned. Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time.

macgarthur
04/10/2016 2:03 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
diablox234hey there. just wanted to say that it's me, diablox234, the guy you banned for not telling you where i got my diamond tools.

so since i'm banned it couldn't possibly get any worse, so i'll go ahead and tell ya, i used xray to find the diamonds. almost 100% of the time, when op discovers someone has xray, they're instantly banned, but think of it like this: i joined yesterday when no op was on. the town wasn't protected, i had the choice to destroy eveything.

but y'know what? i didn't. because i liked the place, it was nice. i explored the place and came upon a small ship in the (castle dock is my best guess). so back to the xraying, me and this guy saw the ship and decided to produce a large-scale ship close to it. it had taken us around 3 hours to get to where we were, i remind you we were in survival and had to gather the materials, and could not just spawn em.

so i went and got some diamonds, made some tools, started chopping some wood and that's how far we got. it was late so i left, hoping to continue this tomorrow. oh but what are the odds, heromaiden asked me where i found the diamonds along with the diamond tools, in total disregard for the huge ship close by. clearly i could not say i xrayed, because i'd instantly get banned, no matter what my motive for xraying was. so i said i found em, then someone gave it to me, and after not getting the info she wanted (she probably wanted me to tell her i xrayed so she could ban me), i got banned regardless for 'stealing lying and lying again'. isn't this just the best community, where people don't judge others based on what they have, but wether or not they're good or bad people.

So you admitted to breaking the rules, knew you were breaking the rules, lied to a staff member knowing if you told the truth you'd be banned, made up a couple different stories for how you got the diamonds, and they banned you.

What's the problem? You knew what you were doing was wrong and would get you banned. Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time.
BADDAD41
04/10/2016 11:01 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
LOL too funny I do the same thing they must play on the server several weeks then apply for staff and yes an email and skype ends most of it. Just be patient and t vote your server up youll get more hits that way.
HeroMaid
04/10/2016 11:13 am
i just put up don't call us we'll call you
diablox234
04/10/2016 10:55 am
got tilted when told to move on when it happened not even 3 hours ago. i'd also like you to take note that i don't stalk that person. it pains me so hard that you would say that.
definition of stalking: Stalking
Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person.

but i agree, this is not the place to make this thread about, so don't reply and let's end it there.
iamontda
04/10/2016 10:22 am
Level 35 : Artisan Mage
I agree with WaffleKing, haha. On the server that I work for, we actually had an incident where a player refused to show his F3 screen and take a screenshot of it (we had the proper suspicion by other players to request this of him). His reasons why he didn't/ couldn't screenshot were very radical and contradicted each other, and many of us debated before deciding to ban him.

Anyways, back on track, it's better to kind of build up a player base with your friends etc. a bit so that not every player you meet wants to be a Staff member. Plenty of people ask on bigger servers, but many kind of just want to play. Eventually those players who want to have fun tend to stick around and the player base grows for you. To phase out hacking there are actually servers that don't care about or even promote hacking so that everyone is on an even ground. Not a bad idea if you're someone that wants to avoid anti-cheat and banning hackers all the time.
-WaffleKing-
04/10/2016 10:08 am
Level 40 : Master Electrician

Why are you stalking her posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the incident? That's kind of sad. Move on, buddy.
HeroMaid
04/10/2016 9:37 am

If you told me that instead of lying i wouldn't of banned you, i have nothing against x-ray being used, but i hate people who lie
-WaffleKing-
04/10/2016 9:16 am
Level 40 : Master Electrician
For the same reason that people want to become a singer/actor to become famous. For the same reason that people want to start a business to get filthy rich.
For the same reason that politicians are willing to lie to gain power.

I believe that greed will always go back to one of three things; the person wants popularity, the person wants wealth, or the person wants power. I believe the same applies here. They aren't willing to do the work and make their own way up to the top, so they expect you to move them to the top automatically.
Agt_Montag
04/10/2016 9:10 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Architect
I always like being a player and surviving. Just vanilla minecraft. I've been staff so many times... I kinda got tired of it.
diablox234
04/10/2016 8:57 am
hey there. just wanted to say that it's me, diablox234, the guy you banned for not telling you where i got my diamond tools.

looking forward to replies, hopefully they're not full of hate. my only regret is not finishing the ship

rip in peace 2016-2016
OwlmanZ
04/09/2016 5:50 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
This is something I too get frustrated with and have dealt with for the 3 years I've been owning servers.
You see, what I have found is that every server goes through a community filtering process. The little immature players will come and go, but most of the time if you have a quality server, the (few) good ones you will get at first will start adding up, and if you give it time and keep creating content, you will have a good sized quality community to work with.

If you want your players to have patience, you too must have patience. It takes time to build up a community.

(And keep in mind the old saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day").
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome