Views on the recent "no server shops" problem ?

ClassyEnglishman's Avatar ClassyEnglishman6/8/14 6:18 pm
6/8/2014 6:59 pm
ClassyEnglishman's Avatar ClassyEnglishman
Title explains it all , I personally think that donations make a server what it is , it helps pay for hosting , builds and plugins. What is your opinion?
ClassyEnglishman
Level 33 : Artisan Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

GoldButterKnife
06/08/2014 6:48 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Why did this all of a sudden get brought up? It's been against Minecraft's ToS to make money off of the game for a while.
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:50 pm
I know it has , however everybody has still done it , and in a game where creating literally anything is possible , it's hard not to. However this post is simply due to it arising as a large problem on planet minecraft , more to ask the opinions of the thousands of server owners on this website.
GoldButterKnife
06/08/2014 6:57 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
I didn't mean your thread specifically, I mean the topic as a whole. Did they tweet about it or something?
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:59 pm
I am simply basing this upon 2 or 3 blog posts that got onto the pop reel this evening , I'm sure there must be an official link of it somewhere
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:45 pm
PalaeosMy opinion on it is that if you have a problem with the ToS change/suggested change/idk what the deal is with it then you are probably a bad person and should feel bad, far as I can tell the change is basically just mojang asking its users to not use their game to harass the other players with micro-transactions, the players are not EA. There is a difference between donations and "here's money, give me stuff so I can be better than that guy" Donations are when a person is giving money/items to someone with no expectation for reward of any sort aside from the good feeling of helping someone, what donating on most servers I've seen looks like is a misuse of the word and mistakenly using it instead of calling it a purchase.

I see your point , admittedly I titled the thread incorrectly due to the blogs on this same subject. I could see their point of server owners not ripping off the players through micro-transactions , but I would like to hope that the minecraft community would know when they are being ripped off.
Palaeos
06/08/2014 6:41 pm
He/Him • Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle Paladin
My opinion on it is that if you have a problem with the ToS change/suggested change/idk what the deal is with it then you are probably a bad person and should feel bad, far as I can tell the change is basically just mojang asking its users to not use their game to harass the other players with micro-transactions, the players are not EA. There is a difference between donations and "here's money, give me stuff so I can be better than that guy" Donations are when a person is giving money/items to someone with no expectation for reward of any sort aside from the good feeling of helping someone, what donating on most servers I've seen looks like is a misuse of the word and mistakenly using it instead of calling it a purchase.

Disclaimer after the fact, I've not read the changes because frankly I don't have a problem with any of the things people have complained about, yes there will be people who are negatively affected in legitimate ways, but the large portion of the community will not really be affected.
spires33
06/08/2014 6:26 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
wait server donations are no longer allowed?
LordKing
06/08/2014 6:27 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Please read the second post in this thread...
spires33
06/08/2014 6:42 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
i did i am not seeing anything
Henry_Jekyll
06/08/2014 6:23 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
It's not donations! Gosh, people. The way "people" (as a whole) view it, donating means to give money and get something in return. This is an act of selling and buying. Trading, if you will. Donations are still allowed. Donating is giving something without expecting anything in return. Also, I believe the act of marketing had been ignored and taken too far before. I am grateful for this change.
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:33 pm
I have also changed the title of the post , however the problem from this situation is the same as before.
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:31 pm
Okay , well I , as many other people are mistaken due to the many blog posts complaining about this subject. However , this is an even worse situation , as players do not simply just give money to a server , without expecting anything back. This still proposes the same problem as I wrote about in the forum post , how servers will no longer have any source of financial income from their player base to assist them in paying for the server , it's maintenance , and any other things they may have.
LordKing
06/08/2014 6:36 pm
The best kinds of servers are the ones that the owners can afford by themselves.

What i mean is, ultra-big servers are the only ones that will suffer from this, as regular servers cost around 20bucks/month, which really isn't that expensive.
ClassyEnglishman
06/08/2014 6:40 pm
Exactly , large servers are what most of the player base of minecraft go on , due to advertisement from you-tubers. Does that mean that if those shut down , a huge amount of the player base will come onto pmc looking for smaller servers ? Contradictory to your point however , most small servers simply shut down because they don't receive any players , then the owners disregard them as a waste of money and they shut down. Surely shops motivate the server owner to make the server larger , pay for better plugins and builds , and receive a larger player base ?
Henry_Jekyll
06/08/2014 6:38 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Actually, I agree with you, but I believe the big servers would make it too, due to all of the fans they have. They would probably get enough donations to keep running, at least for a bit.
LordKing
06/08/2014 6:26 pm
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome