Tell us your server history?

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox4/25/15 10:37 pm
4/29/2015 7:18 pm
Fred's Avatar Fred
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorden1516/videos

So I looked at my Youtube channel and noticed the episodes I uploaded back then, when I was in SC Istanbul. I never made a Minecraft video ever since when we emigrated from there. Watching Episode 1, I'm reminded of the Legislature building that we once built. We actually took a couple of family photos there.

Fig. 1 : The earliest family photo I have in possession. I have another later one; I won't post it in this post.

Looking at Episode 4 of Charles Style, I laugh at how it actually kinda looks like a dungeon to me now. Later on, at the second stage of Istanbul, we revamped it to be more maze-ey and large. It got better, instead of a straight line.

Fig 2 & 3 : The old mob arena, and the revamp during the second phase of Istanbul.

I actually had wanted for a long time to write a small book about the history of SnowCraft. I was a very stubborn server owner, so I never deleted anything; I kept the servers running until they were truly truly dead, and even so, I kept them in case we were to ever revive them. A majority of our servers, INCLUDING Istanbul, were packaged and given to my alumni players, exactly as they were, except cleaned up for free download to whoever wanted to satisfy their nostalgia or take up the challenge of reviving the server. I didn't mind if they spinned it off; I just want to see my servers flourish again, seeing happiness and wonder at the wonderful worlds.

This is all I'll type for now; very tiny fun fact about my servers, but just telling you guys a tiny morcel of history. Maybe I'll tell you guys more next time, but not tonight.

So, how about you guys? Share your server history. Show us some photos if you have them. Talk about what you thought, what others thought, etc..

Bonus:

Fig 4 : One of the most classic images of SnowCraft. This was before any of my servers were made; this is a picture of the town of SnowCraft, in Sir Johnny's server (I won't mention the server name as it's a bit offensive). SnowCraft was humbly born as a cabin in this server, and it grew into a wonderful town and faction with a following. When I was exiled, I managed to invite a few players to come along with me, and the rest of SnowCraft (i.e. most of it) was formed from scratch in Istanbul.

P.S. Yes, I have all servers with me. I can start them up if I wanted to, in a few hours or less. I can even just turn it on and get an older version of Minecraft, and join immediately to look around. So yes, Istanbul still exists, pristine in its memorialised condition. In case you're wondering.
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Fred
04/29/2015 7:18 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Lad
I do not remember the name of any of the first servers I played on except for one.

My very first sever was in 2011 and two of my friends played on this server that was "creative" and it gave you whatever item you wanted and you build in your designated spot. Which was really fun until the server shut down 2 days later.

For around a couple months my group of friends and I always played on servers that had no pvp and had lockette. Sadly every single one of those servers always ended up with someone griefing all of us within a week or two. Fortunately my other friend, who did not play with us, was a semi-admin and we all played on that server, IceCraft. After playing on that server for months we all lost interest in Minecraft and stopped playing.

Then the same thing goes from then until now. My friends and I play on a certain server until we get bored of Minecraft again.
supernotch893
04/29/2015 6:34 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
I used to have a server, but since absoloutely nobody ever joins it, I shut it down for good. Maybe one day I'll bring it back.
ElectricMusiq
04/29/2015 9:57 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
If you want to, you can join my network as a server and we'll help promote both servers together under the same name.
Snowyfox
04/29/2015 4:12 pm
Speaking of which, I actually had an idea last time to make a partnership with other small servers. We never got onto the idea. Should I try doing that in my next try? (which is coming kinda soon...)

I find that it's a bit risky calling other servers into your network unless you're confident they'll meet standards. In my case, I'm not fussy; I'm gonna cater to the lowest tiers of servers, and give free promotion. Of course, I'm gonna filter between the 1-day-in guys and the more matured servers that have consistently showed good performance as a tiny or small server. The latter are going to get some good support from me if I decide to go through with my idea and invite them
ElectricMusiq
04/29/2015 6:08 pm
My first server I was pretty bad at and j want other people who own their first server or another to be successful other than my servers (apart of the one currently own) I know the risks but I believe everyone should naturally have a chance.
Lucy_the_Cow
04/29/2015 6:29 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Snowyfox
Lucy_the_Cow
Click to reveal
I've never owned a server, but I can tell the tale of my first server.

MCFallout.
Joined for the zombies, stayed for the community. I joined over a year ago now, and at first was a bit skeptical. As on most servers, only a select few donators would talk to a newbie, so that made life a bit tricky. However, I made my first MC friend - Smartie. ^.^ He helped me rank up, and eventually he donated. After a while I also donated and from there friendships stemmed.
-cut forward some time-
After a while, my new friend Becca and I were promoted to Trial mod. We both had a panic attack, and spent minutes trying to think of our first words on the staff team. Upon our promotion to full mod, we once again planned out our first words and this is what we came up with..

I'mma just put some images now, ran out of stuff to say.

^^ The Mushroom island we were shown by the Admin. Becca is left, I'm right.

^^ The S-Mod convinced our Owner to hop into a "Choo Choo Train" he had made. Considering the Owner is rather reserved, this was an achievement.

^^ A player was talking about staff/donator colored chat, and said they would love to have pink chat. Of course, both Darrin & I had to test this color.

Currently, I'm the Admin on the server and couldn't be happier anywhere else.
More stories!?

(1) Yes, more stories~

(2) You mean to tell me you are still staying in this server, and you're admin today?

(3) You guys' server seem like a really nice bunch. I kinda wish I was there.

XD Yeah, I am currently Admin there.

Loving all the stories. Keep 'em coming <3
OfficiallBlox
04/27/2015 4:45 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
[quote="Snowyfox"
Have any of you guys felt any wish to leave Minecraft?[/quote]
Not necessarily, but I wanted to give up on my servers many times - but I continued. If you want your server to get popular, giving up is not an option. It takes time for a server to grow (unless you are willing to risk a ton of cash).
Snowyfox
04/27/2015 4:19 pm
Give me a bit, guise. Organising stuff before I type a reply.

*EDIT* k, back after about an hour. Keep posting stories, guys~ I like hearing them.
Thanks for sharing so far. I'm glad to hear that a lot of you guys' home servers haven't gotten any...fatal incidents. You guys all seem to have optimistic plans for continuing in playing Minecraft. Have any of you guys felt any wish to leave Minecraft?
Snowyfox
04/27/2015 4:15 pm
Lucy_the_Cow
Click to reveal

MCFallout.
Joined for the zombies, stayed for the community. I joined over a year ago now, and at first was a bit skeptical. As on most servers, only a select few donators would talk to a newbie, so that made life a bit tricky. However, I made my first MC friend - Smartie. ^.^ He helped me rank up, and eventually he donated. After a while I also donated and from there friendships stemmed.
-cut forward some time-
After a while, my new friend Becca and I were promoted to Trial mod. We both had a panic attack, and spent minutes trying to think of our first words on the staff team. Upon our promotion to full mod, we once again planned out our first words and this is what we came up with..

^^ The S-Mod convinced our Owner to hop into a "Choo Choo Train" he had made. Considering the Owner is rather reserved, this was an achievement.

^^ A player was talking about staff/donator colored chat, and said they would love to have pink chat. Of course, both Darrin & I had to test this color.

More stories!?

(1) Yes, more stories~

(2) You mean to tell me you are still staying in this server, and you're admin today?

(3) You guys' server seem like a really nice bunch. I kinda wish I was there.
Lucy_the_CowEw, my images went weird.

Use Simg. It crops it properly, if the image is too large.

ElectricMusiq
OfficiallBlox
ElectricMusiq
Interesting history you've had, but I want to ask, have you guys ever enjoyed owning a server(s)

Yes. It teaches me many things and the profit is nice as well.

I concur

That's the nice thing about Minecraft. No matter whet-

*EDIT* Sorry, mum called.

Anyways, no matter whether or not you're a player or owner or anything in between, you learn a lot. What you learn varies, but unlike a lot of other games and activities, Minecraft is a brilliant educational tool.
ElectricMusiq
04/27/2015 2:58 pm
OfficiallBlox

Interesting history you've had, but I want to ask, have you guys ever enjoyed owning a server(s)[/quote]
Yes. It teaches me many things and the profit is nice as well.[/quote]
I concur
OfficiallBlox
04/27/2015 2:55 pm
[/quote]
Interesting history you've had, but I want to ask, have you guys ever enjoyed owning a server(s)[/quote]
Yes. It teaches me many things and the profit is nice as well.
hmmcrunchy
04/27/2015 7:59 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Engineer
My first server is still my existing server and its helped me come such a long way.

my daughter wanted a server we could play on so I started a small private one, hosted locally, as time went on a couple of other people found the server and started to play on there as well which was nice.

eventually I bought an online server to speed things up and moved the old map I had online, this was in 2012, i've kept adding cool bits and adventure plugins to the server to make it a proper adventure game.

the community ive found waxes and wanes now and then - getting popular then easing off as people do their own thing, but there are a load of guys and girls who ive known for 3 years from all over the world who still pop back and say hello even if they don't play that much anymore. what a great community. its great to see people grow up on the server - people who started when they were 13 are now off taking exams and leaving school,

Through the whole time ive kept the old server map - ive added new worlds and servers etc but all the time kept the same old main map where I first spawned and climbed out of the sea to make a shelter 3 years ago, I think its wonderful to go back and see the old towns and builds we all made, and the outposts of the wars and remember all the good times.. players can still now login and go and find their old towns they may have thought lost,
Lucy_the_Cow
04/27/2015 4:54 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug

MCFallout.
-cut forward some time-

More stories!?
Ew, my images went weird.
OfficiallBlox
04/26/2015 4:48 pm
I first got Minecraft in 1.6 beta, around 3 years ago.

2010-2011: Brave Network
This server started out as a simple creative server. At this time, there weren't many plot creative servers. This is the reason why it became as popular as it was. An old friend on PMC helped me advertise this (The_Forougite, I doubt anyone remembers him due to him being inactive now). We instantly got on the popular reel. With all this popularity, we had to add more. We added some other worlds (skyblock & factions). Having a multiworld server was very unlikely at this time. We grew to about 75 average players online at once. This was very exciting for me. Since the server was this big, we couldn't run it on multiworld any longer. We heard of this new tool that came out called "BungeeCord". This allowed us to link multiple servers onto 1 network, eliminating lag and other incompatibility issues. With these improvements, we further grew to 100 players, then 200 players.
We wanted to add a minigame to the server, so we contacted someone who had MineCade's SuperCraftBrothers minigame. After we set this minigame up, minecade was unhappy about this. My server didn't have good security at this time, so they ended up going into the server's ssh and destroying the entire server. This was the end of Brave Network, and I stopped hosting servers for a few months.

Early 2012: Blox Paradise
This was a rushed server and ended very quickly (a month or so). It was a simple bungeecord setup and wasn't very special.

2013-2014: BraveMC
This was my next MAJOR server. Just like BraveNetwork, I started this out as a creative server. I learned SO much from bravenetwork and learned how to properly secure my server. People from BraveNetwork joined back. Unlike BraveNetwork, we didn't have any large advertisements to start out. I simply bumped on pmc and retained players really well, which contributed to players spreading the word of the server. Soon enough, we grew to 100+ players. I rented .org for a day or so and hit 175 players online. This was amazing because I never thought my server would grow to be that large. School of 2015 was approaching, and I decided I would no longer have time to manage it. I sold the server to superpeanut911 (owner of EnderCraftBuild). He then sold it to henryjake. Today, BraveMC is no where near where it used to be. Henryjake sold it yesterday, to the owner of Flame Survival.

2015: Volt Network
Right now I am working on growing my next server, Volt Network. It's starting to feel ilke BraveMC with the players we're getting on. I've learned many things hosting servers for years, so hopefully Volt ends up being even better!

Thanks for reading if you actually read this
ElectricMusiq
04/27/2015 2:09 am
Interesting history you've had, but I want to ask, have you guys ever enjoyed owning a server(s)
Rawwk
04/26/2015 4:31 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
I never owned the server but I was the head-admin/staff.

I joined Minecraft 1.2.5 on a small server but then that shut down so I switched over to another one and after a while, the owner made me an admin, I took that time to learn how server works and goes, then more staff came on and we all became friends. We had a lot of ups and downs but it was all for fun. Then one day I had the idea of coming up with a GTA server (This was the time before any big "GTA" servers had come up, I had quests, meth making, cars, etc). We launched and it was a crazy mess, everyone just kosed and while we did receive a large amount of money, we had to shut down. Sooner or later we started up again (With a different server name), this time with Survival and GTA (Separate servers), both were pretty dead (Because of all the typical GTA servers but this new one I had learned more about plugins, I made a plugin where you can make meth, use horses as cars, etc) But then with both servers dead we shut down again. THEN again, we started a Pixelmon Server (But since pixelmon server takes time, by the time we got gyms up and running everyone was gone).

So, it's been a great 4 years sadly we had more downs then ups but sooner or never... I plan to create a Modded Survival RP Server. One can hope.
FLAMESS123
04/26/2015 2:04 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
I only had one server. I didn't have money to host a server. However, a certainly had the skills-I made my own server and hosted from my laptop, and the only way it was able to run was with 2 slots. It was filled with plugins and minigames. I still wish I could have a server with slots and power to do what I want with it, but I don't have any good friends hosting a server.

The server was called FlameCraft.
One of my videos was recorded on it, where it shows me shooting random animals with a bazooka er something XD the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6v8hewjgY lol
Snowyfox
04/26/2015 4:20 pm
It looked awesome!

I started out with 4 slots with 128MB of RAM. Why didn't you increase it to more than 2? Honestly I wonder how it'd be like to have a 2 slot server...I think I want to try, actually... :3 Maybe I'll do that for the server I'm starting soon.
MysticAir
04/26/2015 1:14 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
my first server was....
I've never owned a server
The end
ElectricMusiq
04/26/2015 1:08 pm
Hmm.. Okay..
My first server was named PokeLumia as some and my in real life friends wanted to start a Pixelmon server, and they decided me to be their leader since I had a high degree in business. We later came to a shock that because all of us but me, they had exams and the main reason we wanted a Pixelmon server was to play with each other and not make it public for each of our YouTube channels.

Anyhow, I went to this other server, as in made a new server with a friend called Bai or Stephen, called TheSystem, and this is where I met another person called Snixecution. Basically, Snixecution is one of those arrogant and idiotic people ever, however he knows how to hack. I demoted him because he tried to overthrow me of the throne because he "paid" for the server, and he keeps coming back to me for this current stage. He hacked TheSystem forcing me to leave because of stress issues.

I now own a server called The Codus and you can see how much progress I've made {of course if that's if you want to see.}

I have owned around 11 other servers before but it's going to take all day for me to write it all down, since the story keeps repeating itself.

Sincerely,
Electric
Snowyfox
04/26/2015 12:56 pm
Bump. Come on, guise.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome