I'm at a loss - Minecraft Paper Server Performance Issueshelp

Firav's Avatar Firav12/18/23 3:31 pm
1 emeralds 224 6
2/10/2024 12:02 pm
MyZia's Avatar MyZia
Howdy y'all,

I've exhausted everything that I can think of to help the performance of one of the Minecraft servers I run. Combed over all different types of timings reports from akairs and spark, and modified many things suggested by both and I still have some large performance issues. We get a perfect 20 TPS until we get about 13 players on. When the server gets to about 20 players, it becomes inoperable. Ultimately I guess it comes down to server hardware? Does a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz with 64GB of DDR3 RAM have enough behind it to run a minecraft server with a large world, some plugins and players? I can't help but think that this is boiled down to a hardware issue.

Thank y'all,

Firav
Firav
Level 21 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

MyZia
02/10/2024 12:02 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Network
Don't forget to pregenerate your world.

Players creating new chunks takes up a massive load.

1-3 players loading chunks can cause problems, especially 10+..
CamoMano_
02/10/2024 11:03 am
Level 25 : Expert Modder
Install Spark and run the profiler(/spark profiler) when the server is lagging. Let it run for ~10 minutes then do /spark profiler stop.
HoboMaggot
12/18/2023 8:47 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
history
Does it instantly get inoperable when there's just 20 players online or are they doing something? If they're doing something do 13 players decrease performance when they do the same thing?

Since mc is singlethreaded even the most powerful hardware can do so much, this is why all servers split their players into different lobbies/individual servers so they preserve general performance.
Firav
12/19/2023 12:17 pm
Level 21 : Expert Miner
Hey HoboMaggot,

Thanks for the reply. I'd say that it starts having some significant performance issues around 13 players. Once we get 20-30 players on congruently, it seems to pretty instantly tank. I was just on the server earlier with another dev trying to help me out with these performance issues, and with just the two of us sitting there talking on the server we were sitting at 42%-48% CPU usage on the single-core process the server is running on. I'm not sure if this is due to the CPU not being powerful enough to keep up with the timing tasks, or that I've got something that is running my core up way too much. When there are no players on the server, it calms back down to like 14%.

I understand splitting players into different lobbies and such, but we shouldn't be encountering issues like we are. Especially with other servers running the same scope of things that we're doing and running at a playable rate.
star_weaver
01/05/2024 1:04 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
what java version are you using + flags
openJDK/graalvm/oracle/adoptium
are you running headless or not?

i got cpus from the gen prior and have never had CPU usage be that high on a single thread running Minecraft with a couple people afk in a fairly heavy modded base. if your running windows as the base OS for the server your doing it wrong, I would recommend using debian server and learning a couple commands and just running the server from that. if your already using a linux distro for the server then something is really not playing nice and if I were to guess there's some sort of power capping/power profile being set on the bios level that's causing stupid things. more info on your software setup would help if your open to saying though.

also what HoboMaggot said
HoboMaggot
12/19/2023 9:44 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
Iirc cpu performance in a barebones server without the use of expensive software/plugins would be dependent on what the players are doing (e.g. loading chunks)

Since you and the other dev were basically afk when the cpu usage was 42-48%, I'd say that your cpu just isn't powerful enough. I cannot determine anything more without extra information, such as plugins/datapacks/mods used, if your world is a default world, and if there are a lot of entities in any given chunk.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome