[Discussion] How to get more players to your server?

Bear_'s Avatar Bear_6/2/16 3:59 pm
1 emeralds 160 2
6/2/2016 4:02 pm
Bear_'s Avatar Bear_
The main question discussed in this thread is:
How to do I attract more players to my server?

Well,
recently I opened my own server. (http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/xelusar-survival-community-cracked-premium-t553191.html). The very motivated I was at first, the very demotivated I was 24 hours later. I expected players, not thousands of them, but a few. However, after posting my server to 7 (!) 'server-lists' websites, only 8 players in total joined. Of which 1 actually staying and returning the next day. This raised the question: How do I attract players to my newly made server?

In all honesty: I thought I knew. After doing my research for several hours, including watching official Mojang videos (on their youtube), I came to the discovery I did not know how to attract players. The concept of my server received positive feedback by a lot of experienced Minecrafters, and I was supported widely. The staff team is small, but extremely professional and friendly. The only thing missing really are players. But WHY? What is the 'issue'?

When talking about "getting players", I'm not talking about 200+ active people. I'm talking about getting up to an average of 5-25 players, from scratch.

I gave my personal server as an example, however, I want to keep this thread general. I'm looking forward to replies! What should a server have, and what not? What does attract people, and what doesn't?

Please give constructive criticism and opinions.
Let's keep this thread clear of server advertisement!

Edit:I posted this thread because I found most other threads to be outdated or either focused on advertising, rather than giving advice to (future) server owners.
Bear_
Level 47 : Master Bear