Minecraft's Next Gen.

luigi_vampa's Avatar luigi_vampa9/8/14 1:47 pm
9/8/2014 7:13 pm
luigi_vampa's Avatar luigi_vampa
No, it's not about a Minecraft 2!

I can't help but wonder what the younger generation of script kiddies is going to grow up into. Is the world due for an influx of Java apps when you all pull your heads out of MC? Has Mojang doomed the planet to bunch of fools that think griefing, etc is an acceptable way of behaving?
What is the outcome after MC has blown over?
Any thoughts you lovely people?
luigi_vampa
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 7:13 pm
Just had a conversation on minecraft forums that has made me think of another side to this. Flame wars and the ability to accept a little constructive criticism!
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 7:10 pm
Zombieman2081
luigi_vampaNo, it's not about a Minecraft 2!

I can't help but wonder what the younger generation of script kiddies is going to grow up into. Is the world due for an influx of Java apps when you all pull your heads out of MC? Has Mojang doomed the planet to bunch of fools that think griefing, etc is an acceptable way of behaving?

Personally I don't. I mean, people will always act stupid online. If you went up to them or knew them in real life, it would be hard to tell that they are a griefer/troller. I think the bigger problem would be the language being provided through these games, but that's just my opinion.

Language being provided?
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 7:10 pm
10Andrew
luigi_vampa

Has Mojang doomed the planet to bunch of fools that think griefing is an acceptable way of behaving?

I don't think that will happen. Minecraft is not going to lead to a load of kids becoming arsonists, murderers and terrorists!

Bedside's, it's bad enough when people say GTA causes that so to think Minecraft of all games would is simply ridiculous.

Now the idea of a load of people who have learned Java simply for the purpose of modding Minecraft is a more realistic issue. Their will be an influx in the amount of people who seek to program with Java and in turn raise the competition. This may seem good but if their are a lot of applicants and only a few opportunities then people will have to move on to other things and waste their talents...

Then again... that's life

Cause no, contribute? I'm not so sure.
Zombieman2081
09/08/2014 6:43 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja

Personally I don't. I mean, people will always act stupid online. If you went up to them or knew them in real life, it would be hard to tell that they are a griefer/troller. I think the bigger problem would be the language being provided through these games, but that's just my opinion.
10Andrew
09/08/2014 6:31 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
luigi_vampa

Has Mojang doomed the planet to bunch of fools that think griefing is an acceptable way of behaving?

I don't think that will happen. Minecraft is not going to lead to a load of kids becoming arsonists, murderers and terrorists!

Bedside's, it's bad enough when people say GTA causes that so to think Minecraft of all games would is simply ridiculous.

Now the idea of a load of people who have learned Java simply for the purpose of modding Minecraft is a more realistic issue. Their will be an influx in the amount of people who seek to program with Java and in turn raise the competition. This may seem good but if their are a lot of applicants and only a few opportunities then people will have to move on to other things and waste their talents...

Then again... that's life
Forest Fawn
09/08/2014 6:24 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
I have made long lasting friends on minecraft, while I feel unaccepted in real life. But some people use it more as a dating site.. But anyways I write stories on minecraft and share them.

Hope that helped!
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 7:09 pm
So please do! I'd like a read.
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 6:07 pm
YaminiaI'm just a dumb teen who dislikes people though, so what do I know?

No less than the rest of us I'd imagine.
Yaminia
09/08/2014 5:57 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Scribe
Not really. Minecraft saved me from going insane by letting my friend and me hang out, build and have fun. I'd probably be healthier if I hadn't, but it's not Minecraft's fault it's addicting as heck. As for "script kiddies" (I kinda hate that term, not sure why.), I personally feel that their lives will probably be a bit more impatient, maybe a bit more demanding if they aren't parented right.
I'm just a dumb teen who dislikes people though, so what do I know?

Regazrding Video Games and Violence
Click to reveal
I've done reports on the subject. In short, it's usually bad parenting that makes things worse off. Violent games or playing a lot of games ≠ bad kids.

That doesn't mean it isn't a problem though. Games being addicting and enthralling of course can and do cause problems with attention spans, expectations of others and more often than not being ostracized.

I don't know really. Play games if you're happy, don't let kids literally grow up on just their ipads, involve them with things, etc. Live outside of the internet unlike the newest generation (I mean ages new born to 8 when I say that).
Dinodaw
09/08/2014 5:45 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
I think parenting (or the lack thereof) has more to do with children's behavior than video games. I do however believe that the media we view does affect us.
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:49 pm
So do I. Certainly not a sole cause, more the straw that broke the camels back.
FarmerKaine
09/08/2014 5:30 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Farmer
My kids both play the CoD series on XBox. We have the entire series, some of which came out before my daughter was even born. My kids are 12 and 8, and they aren't going around re-enacting the games with their friends. My daughter gets regular "student of the week" and "student of the month" awards. She's involved in multiple sports, and couldn't be sweeter. My son is a techie through and through with an addiction to amusement parks (like me). He's quiet, respectful, and caring. There are no signs of any "trouble" in my kids from playing the CoD series. Yes, we play with the sound on, and yes, I know there isn't great language throughout... but it's not what they hear on screen, it's what they're taught from their parents that matter. They never, and I mean NEVER say anything inappropriate. They never, and I mean NEVER misbehave around family, adult friends, or their own friends. To us, CoD is just a good form of entertainment to kill some time on rainy days and through the winter.

Don't make a correlation between violent games and violence in society... Societal violence is so much more complex than a few video games. I played Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Offroad when I was little... I didn't start to ram into other cars on the road. I played Wolfenstein 3D when I was a teenager. I don't go around with weapons trying to kill people. It's what we're raised to be...not what we see in the games.
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:47 pm
Everybody in the world like you though?
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:11 pm
Charliecho

No. There are people who are stupid and do stuff in real life that they do in video games or see on TV or in movies. But the majority of humanity is smart or at least as good common sense. It's part of nature. We just have to deal with the occasional idiot. Now I have a "joke" saying, "when you go on the internet, you're instantly surrounded by stupid". Well, that's not true and I know that (though I say it anyway). The reason I say it anyway is because the stupid things stand out more. I'll stop here before I go too off topic.

I like the saying. Not sure about instantly but I've been to 4chan. I mean wtf?!!!!
I also like Voltaire's saying "Common sense isn't so common"
usa
09/08/2014 5:06 pm
Level 45 : Master Engineer
to op:

this is why parents are scared to let their kids play cod
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:24 pm
haha, only scared I'll lose!
LooseViper
09/08/2014 5:04 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Pokemon
Why don't kids see rated M nowadays why do parents not see it
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:24 pm
I'm as guilty of that as anyone. Army of Darkness is one of little ones favourite films.
WillyWonka125
09/08/2014 4:59 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
A) If you're scared of your kid playing COD and then going out and buying an assault rifle with the intention to kill, be sure to tell the child that the game is fake, and make sure that the child has absolutely 0 access to weapons. Ingrain your child with the mindset that violence is bad.

B) If you think FPS games screw with children's heads, don't expose your child to them. If it's not your kid, it's not your choice. Get over it.

C) If you think guns kill people, buy a handgun and put it on your roof for a day. For every person it kills, make a tally mark on your driveway with chalk. At the end of the day, remove the gun from the roof and admire your squeaky clean driveway.

(Mod, I encourage you to snip subpoint C if it's not topical)
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:16 pm
Never snip! I wouldn't ask your opinion just to cut it out! Thanks for replying.
Azie
09/08/2014 4:56 pm
She/Her • Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump Pokemon
luigi_vampa... would a stint of solid griefing make a bad person worse?

It's possible.

That being said, this also isn't exclusive to video games. Murderers might murder a few people more than usual and decide they want to murder increasingly more people. Bullies might bully someone more or go further than normal and decide to escalate.
Coltron9000
09/08/2014 4:50 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Taco
I just had a debate with my mom about this the other day. We were talking about whether games such as Call of Duty were bad for kids, I disagreed and she was in the middle. She brought up that young kids may think that they can come back to life, as if it's a game, or it's okay to kill. My opinion on this, it's hardly the game's fault. Why? Because if anyone believes that is true, there's something wrong with their psychological state, or something, however in any case that would be a good point to take the war games away. For example, look at that recent case (can't quite remember exactly what/when it was) of those two girls who plotted murder to see Slenderman. Is it the fault of some people online who made Slenderman a thing? No, of course not. It's their own fault, they obviously have something up with their minds. Parenting as well, has a lot, if not most, to do with this.

Just my stance on the effect of war-themed games on kids.
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 5:15 pm
I'm 35 now but I remember them days! I first mortified the Mother with Streets of Rage 2 I think. I remember thankfully we got that out the way. Little did we know at the time that Mortal Kombat was just around the corner!
It wasn't a question of blame. Were the creators of Slenderman to blame? No, of course not but did the interaction with it tip the balance?
IDKCharlie
09/08/2014 4:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer

No. There are people who are stupid and do stuff in real life that they do in video games or see on TV or in movies. But the majority of humanity is smart or at least as good common sense. It's part of nature. We just have to deal with the occasional idiot. Now I have a "joke" saying, "when you go on the internet, you're instantly surrounded by stupid". Well, that's not true and I know that (though I say it anyway). The reason I say it anyway is because the stupid things stand out more. I'll stop here before I go too off topic.
ChariSir
09/08/2014 4:26 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
In my opinion MineCraft can make kids more creative and having better thinking skills but i don't think griefing someone's sand castle will affect their future as adults
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 4:36 pm
I certainly hope not!
Azie
09/08/2014 4:22 pm
She/Her • Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump Pokemon
This kind of behavior begins well before children begin gaming. It begins with how parents instill morals and beliefs in their children at a young age. Mojang has done nothing and gaming has done nothing. Gaming doesn't make you a horrible person. The way you're parented or not parented does.
zoossrocks
09/08/2014 5:22 pm
Level 28 : Expert Toast
Once again Azie makes my point before I can...
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 4:35 pm
I agree totally. Nobody is to blame for how my daughter turns out other than me. But, for example, would a stint of solid griefing make a bad person worse? I certainly keep ramming Scratch, etc down my daughter's throat in the hope that it does good.
09/08/2014 4:33 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
Where's the like button for forums!
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 4:36 pm
Good question, that'd be nice.
Faxwy
09/08/2014 3:05 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Princess
That's just like saying Call of Duty and BF4 will ruin kids. (Which it does)

It depends on how you play Minecraft pretty much.
Dabeasty
09/08/2014 3:08 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Please do research before you post such a rough statement. Nobody has successfully managed to prove that violent video games ruins children with proper testing.
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 3:22 pm
Yes indeed. There's an absolute wealth of information regarding how it is bad. Including but not limited to sedentary behaviour, adverse psychological effects, obesity, etc. I'm not entirely sure how trustworthy the sources are. Sounds like a lot of nagging going on. There's also a great deal about how they're good for you. Improved hand eye coordination etc. Again, when you find out that the survey was conducted by EA you start to see the rose tinted glasses. I think the obvious response is to acknowledge that violence and ill behaviour was around way before computer games and it sort of becomes a mute point. I do believe that after MC there will be a glut of Java apps coming. I think games can do as much good as harm. Look at MITs scratch, I just wanted to know what you all thought. Not start a "Games are bad" rant. I love a good sniper shot from 1/2km away!
jamiedizzle2
09/08/2014 1:50 pm
Level 48 : Master Ninja
nope, no ideas...
luigi_vampa
09/08/2014 1:53 pm
Haha, well thanks for taking the time anyway Jamie!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome