Grammar Skills Petition

Diamonddozen's Avatar Diamonddozen3/6/13 10:32 pm
3/7/2013 2:12 am
Jesuitical's Avatar Jesuitical
Hey guys Diamonddozen here! This has been a surging problem throughout the entirety of our lives...or at least once texting was invented. It's obvious that many people's grammar skills are sadly lacking. I propose we take this to out countries leaders. I will start a petition on a site known as thepetitionsite, stating that the government needs to put more money into teaching kids grammar. This thread will be the main discussion thread so get petitioning.

Here is the petition. Go sign my little friends!
Diamonddozen
Level 55 : Grandmaster Baconator

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/07/2013 2:12 am
Level 27 : Expert Princess
Jesuitical
This thread was way overdue for a lock, it's turned into arguments about schools and education, rather than discussing the OP's petition.
03/07/2013 1:19 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
rsmovactor
I donut dink dat gramer materz in life, becuz if you tink about it, how long dus both becus somtheng nothing is not neither.

This thread has started to get interesting...
03/07/2013 1:23 am
Level 32 : Artisan Button Pusher
Zoralink
The Thread Is Only Interisting 'Cuz I Iz Heer.

Click to reveal
(I REALLY don't like children who post things with caps every word to make them look good.
03/07/2013 1:27 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
rsmovactor
I donut lick peple wh ocanut spel

I don't people need to be so picky and be "Grammar Nazi's" but at the same time, have some standards! I mean I just hate people who post something like..

Cheek ut my vidz gud.

I can go on and on with this...
03/07/2013 1:35 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Electrician
kirbyquerby
Look, you're going to speak a language your whole life, so you might as well do it right. You don't go and play a game, then call someone a rule Nazi when they call you out for breaking a rule.. To be honest, learning how to write a language properly isn't that hard, so just do it.
03/07/2013 1:18 am
Zoralink
GrizzlyAmish is right. In-game, your grammar can slip a bit. But when making maps, there is no excuse. FVDisco Hypixel, etc. They don't use rubbish grammar, and look where they are now.
03/07/2013 1:13 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Toast
Epic_Poptart_Cat
I am not bad with grammar, though I tend to make mistakes with commas and what not, but hey, not everyone's perfect.
03/07/2013 1:09 am
Zoralink
Heck, the Gorilla Guerilla can use his brain! He was educated! But more on topic, I think that internet speak is more based around speed and convenience.
03/07/2013 1:14 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
I can see that as being a valid excuse to a certain degree.
For example, if you're playing PvP games like League of Legends, communication helps a lot. There are short cuts in-game to point out certain areas on the map where there may be heavy opponents, but typing out to other members quickly while using some chopped up words would help (as long as they can convey the message they're trying to get across).

However, on forums, a user has time to type out their thoughts clearly. They should be using proper words rather than leet speak.
03/07/2013 12:58 am
Level 49 : Master Narwhal
Boboonski
Still... freedom of speech wouldn't cover i- ah, nevermind.
03/07/2013 12:26 am
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
Azie...Some people just don't want to use it. Can't really force them to since that would be against free speech.

Unless you are against free speech. Then I suppose my argument is invalid.

"Free speech" doesn't mean what you think it means.
03/07/2013 12:00 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pirate
Lorn77
I agree that grammar nowadays sucks, but I don't think that's really something to be taken up with national leaders. They can't really help it if kids want to spell out "lol" or "brb" to eachother. As stupid as that is, I don't see how they can control it. Plus, for Americans, freedom of speech.

And I do honestly think there are more important things that a national government should focus on. Maybe it'd be a topic for town governments/local legistlation.
03/06/2013 11:53 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Elf
Exurbia
It's not pointless, people are obviously getting somewhere with this. Like the fact people learn grammar in school. So, we can't really do anything to help. It's up to you to pay attention in class and pass or not.

like how i got the thread back on topic
am i cool yet
03/07/2013 12:23 am
Boboonski
You are definitely cool. But I'm even cooler for reading the fine text.
03/06/2013 11:45 pm
Exurbia
I think this is a good discussion, and it's nice to see that people can discuss things maturely on the site still.
Lock it if you want, but I think we should leave it open.
03/06/2013 11:48 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I was joking. I don't lock things for fun.

I do think this petition is sort of pointless, however.
03/06/2013 11:36 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
In my opinion, The petition is useless. I remember learning proper grammar so much in school and it annoyed me so much... Anyway, It's called Txt talk. Our government can't force schools to drill it more because We have freedom of speech in Canada, and other places in the world.
03/06/2013 11:23 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
Lucargia
Honestly, yeah I do agree with you on this.
03/06/2013 11:20 pm
Level 22 : Expert Unicorn
brawley12
You really want this petitioned? This is a worthless argument. What I'm saying is most of us got to school or home schooled and have been taught grammar now if they have a primary language its not their fault just help them out if needed. No petition is required for this. Apologies.
EDIT: this was edited by exurbia so i will make it more... appropriate. But there is more important matters. This should not be cared about like "drugs", or your "sexuality"
03/06/2013 11:17 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Well, there's always AutoCorrect... what other people do shouldn't bother us. It's their choice. As long as I understand it, it's fine.
03/06/2013 11:26 pm
Exurbia
^this

Why should we be worried about other people's lives when we can't help them directly? If they want to fail school and work at McDonalds all of their life, then so be it. But if someone close to you is failing school, try to help them. You may not be able to help your whole country, but you can help the ones you care about most.
03/06/2013 11:14 pm
Boboonski
I agree with Exurbia. We already teach extensive grammar lessons in our schooling system, so what is the point of this?
03/06/2013 11:10 pm
Exurbia
You can't FORCE kids to be good at grammar or pay attention in school. Some kids just aren't very good at English and they find it a challenge. And what happens if they don't have good grammar? They get thrown in jail? Oh, please. We should be more worried about real problems like war and stuff. Schools already are getting funded enough for most kids to go to school (unless they live in a third world country) so what's the point of this?
03/06/2013 11:01 pm
Boboonski
I'm sorry to say this, because I hate it when people use improper grammar/spelling, but I think whatever people in this thread have better in grammar lose in logic and intelligence. I don't know why it isn't obvious that this petition will not go anywhere. Has anyone ever heard of a school before? People spend a large chunk of their life in an institution teaching knowledge that is required to learn. This includes grammar. Are you saying that they should put more money into schooling? If so, your petition should be completely different.
03/06/2013 10:57 pm
Diamonddozen
How come I'm the only one that has signed this? We need all the signatures we can get.
03/06/2013 10:49 pm
Level 25 : Expert Mountaineer
MrRedneck
i haz good grammers an stuff see.
But no, seriously, your idea is quite interesting. It would be most wonderful if people could actually text / write with proper grammer, instead of using text shortcuts and other annoying, lazy abbreviations of words.
03/06/2013 10:48 pm
Diamonddozen
Very good point Greytopher, however I believe that 35-50% of unemployment is due to people failing their interviews as an affect of a lack of communication. It's a very good cause.
03/06/2013 10:46 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pig
Greytopher
If I remember correctly, I learned proper grammar in school... if people don't use proper grammar it's either A) they didn't attend school B) english isn't their first language, or C) they choose to spell that way out of laziness or convenience.
03/07/2013 1:37 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Modder
ehdfawq3er
English isn't my first language, and I have proper grammar.
03/06/2013 11:43 pm
Azie
So... Is someone going to lock this poor thread or does it deserve to live? As many have said, grammar is already taught in schools. Some people just don't want to use it. Can't really force them to since that would be against free speech.

Unless you are against free speech. Then I suppose my argument is invalid.
03/07/2013 12:52 am
Boboonski
Free speech means freedom to express their opinions and thoughts. It wouldn't cover... well, grammar.
03/07/2013 12:55 am
Azie
I was referring to people speaking txt or 1337. If it because of a lack of education, then that's different.
03/07/2013 1:00 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
I wrote a creative writing paper titled "1337 $P34K" back in high school.
Surprisingly, it was one of my better graded papers for the class.

I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar- the rules, sentence formatting and structure, it all annoyed me. I got A's, yet I never really liked English classes.
For me, as long as you use words such as "they're", "there", and "their" properly, you're all right in my book.
03/06/2013 11:07 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
Pretty much this.
03/06/2013 10:45 pm
Level 40 : Master Lumberjack
MasterSky
ya sur dat souns cool! I'm also a bit of a grammar nazi too. I'll sign!
03/06/2013 10:41 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
LeCrown
Very interesting.
I'll sign.
I am a bit of a grammar Nazi, so might as well!

Flowers and Cacti,
~LeCrown
03/06/2013 10:34 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
Panda_Queen
This is really interesting, to be honest. Having conflict on wether to do it or not :/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome