Cloning | Good or Bad?

Hinduism's Avatar Hinduism6/4/13 4:56 pm
1 emeralds 4.6k 328
8/7/2013 2:46 am
ihhh's Avatar ihhh
Hello PMC! This time I am here with a pretty funky topic! Cloning! I want to know your opinion, is it good or bad?

Cloning has only recently been tested. Fifty years ago we had never even cloned a sheep, and we are now studying ways to bring back the wooly mammoth through cloning! Many people (including some of my family) believe that cloning is morally wrong because it interferes with "God's wishes". Now, this may be true, but we must do all we can to further science.

In my opinion, cloning should never be avoided. The research on this topic could further scientific studies very far, so we must pursue it. I don't think we should hold back on science because it is "God's will" not too. Science is the key to everything, and must uncover it's secrets, if that means defying religion, so be it. (My opinion)

I also thought this information would be interesting-
In the next 10 years scientists are aiming to clone the wooly mammoth. They are doing this by taking the cells from a mammoth found in Sibera and harvesting them, then placing the embryo inside an elephant's womb. The elephant will then give birth to the wooly mammoth about twenty-two months later. This process will cost millions of dollars and has already cost us countless hours of research. Do you think we should pursue this further?

Now for your opinions on everything. Oh yeah, and like always, be sure to enjoy the topic! Flaming and rude behavior won't get us anywhere!
Hinduism
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ihhh
08/07/2013 2:46 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter
"Cloning was neither good nor bad, only it's purpose was important, and that purpose should not be one that was trivial or selfish."
Arthur C. Clarke - Imperial Earth
Minecrafty1260
07/28/2013 11:58 am
Level 29 : Expert Nerd
Bump
the_soup
06/27/2013 10:59 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
Before people talk any further about cloning dinosaurs or other animals/plants that lived millions of years ago, even if that was possible based on the recovered DNA we have now (protip: we don't have enough), the clones would not be able to live. The percentage of oxygen in the air today is much lower than it was millions of years ago, which incidentally is part of the reason why organisms are not able to grow as big today as they were able to long ago. Anything cloned would not be able to survive on the air we breathe today.

All animals and plants that went extinct went extinct for a reason--they were not able to adapt and survive to their surroundings. How would cloning them and trying to re-establish a population fix that? (not that you could, because the gene pool for a population produced by cloning would be so small that there's no way it could healthily reproduce and survive)
RomanRevenge13
06/27/2013 11:01 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
See this is the kind of knowledge that needs to spread.
UndeadGaming606
06/27/2013 10:19 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Zombie
Also, not everyone really understands these two facts:
1. Clones of humans would be like regular humans. We can't just take their limbs and other body parts for surgery.
2. Clones won't have any of the memories the original had or act the same as the original. They'll just look the same. That's it. Like a twin.
Chron
06/27/2013 10:52 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
If we can clone the entirety of the brain, they'll start out acting like the original, and will have the same memories. However, because most likely they will live in a different environment, how they continue to act as they re-grow and re-develop will cause them to become different from the parent.
UndeadGaming606
06/27/2013 10:11 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Zombie
I totally agree with cloning species that are extinct and species that are endangered. Now, I've seen people talking about the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park. No one in their right mind would bring a T-Rex back to life. Mammoths won't eat us, though, so it makes sense to try and clone them. We could learn a ton from cloning extinct species, as well. It would help us figure out how they went extinct by how they act. This would help us in keeping them from going extinct, again.
Chron
06/27/2013 10:50 pm
Adding extinct species back into the ecosystem would throw off the balance of it, potentially causing other species to become extinct. Most extinct species are extinct for a reason.
DrSquilliam
06/27/2013 10:02 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
RoxthesoxI think we should clone a human, and if we f*ck up then we apologize and never do it again. If turns out great, then humanity moves to becoming the plot of The Island. Free organs for everyone!

Well, there's the whole ethical part of that. The clones would have their own minds and bodies and making them just to harvest their organs is PRETTY fucked up.
generalbacon9827
06/27/2013 9:58 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Cloning to me is right, up to a certain point. We should only try to clone extinct species for research in a MAXIMUM SECURITY PLACE so nothing escapes, or if that species became extinct because of us destroying its habitat or hunting it. Cloning technology could wreak havoc on the world if it falls into the wrong hands.
socksmusicalcat
06/27/2013 8:24 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Engineer
Cloned humans do exist; they're called identical twins. Completely identical genome, yet completely separate identities, personalities, and fingerprints. No artificial cloning, though. The tech's too new to use on humans. Probably better that way.
Chron
06/27/2013 9:08 pm
Identical twins are naturally occurring, and don't work in the same way artificial cloning does. I do agree with the other half of your statement, though. People may think we've developed it enough for human use, but we haven't. We are somewhat close, though. The time from Laika (the first animal in space) being launched in the Sputnik 2 to landing on the moon was 12 years. We cloned Dolly 17 years ago.
socksmusicalcat
06/27/2013 9:56 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Engineer
Yes, I understand that artificial cloning works quite a bit differently than the natural variant (by the way, since identical twins are an unusual result from cell division, there wouldn't be a first one; they're both considered 'daughter' cells). I simplify made that statement to address all the "What would the clones be like?" questions.
TheSandPaladin
06/27/2013 8:55 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Oh really so which one is the original because there has to be one?
Chron
06/27/2013 9:11 pm
Well, one is a duplicate of the other, and was formed out of it. If you wanted an easy way to find out, you could genetically 'mark' the original (after the copy has been created, of course), and when they're born, they'll still have that mark, and you'll be able to tell which one came first.
TheSandPaladin
06/27/2013 8:08 pm
cloned people have plenty of rights of cource there would be experiments but over all if it was sentiient i would teach it to fit in with society and live an almost normal life i am curious not cruel
TheSandPaladin
06/27/2013 7:57 pm
First things first people shut up cause there is nothing wrong with cloning humans i mean what better test subjects and if we do cloning we should add slight changes to change the entire human race i am personally gonna become a geneticist anyway so humans will be cloned if it means cloning myself
krugle
06/27/2013 8:03 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
The question of ethics comes in though. I mean if we were cloning humans that had no higher brain activity so no sentience at the very least. prefferably just the ability to breath and perform basic life sustaining bodily processes then yeah absolutely go for it.
But if we were to start cloning fully developed thinking human beings where is the line at what point can we draw the line between cruelty and life saving ambitions. In WW2 the Nazi would experiment on Jewish people which everyone can agree was terrible. but they learned a lot about disease and cures, vaccines, and how to perform modern operations. Many of which we still use those theories today. So at what point can you say that a cloned person has rights or no rights.
Minecrafty1260
06/27/2013 6:41 pm
Level 29 : Expert Nerd
Bump
Hybrid Warrior
06/08/2013 4:18 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Warrior
I can't really see a whole lot of practical uses for cloning, personally. We don't need to clone things to research and study the growth of a living creature.

But maybe I'm just ignorant to what cloning is.

The very act of researching cloning WILL provide us with insight on, again,

- Understanding how cancers form
- Understanding how stem cells differentiate into specialized cells, thus getting closer at reversing patient cells into stem cells for body repair.
- Understanding Human Genetics at a developmental stage
- Understanding how human behavior can vary due to environmental factors
- Understanding how epigenetics affect individuals

It's not whether we want to look for it or not, the research inherently will give us information about the topics above if it is pursued.
CoopGrief
06/08/2013 12:08 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
BAD
syfyguy64
06/08/2013 12:35 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
As far as I know, cloning is just making an artificial womb for the moment, so if you are a clone, you are just a person with out a mother/father.
Now, god created man, so man could create man. What happens when man creates worlds (terraforming)?
Will we be better than god? Well, since I see god as Zeus, we already are.
But I want to dump some fuel on the embers of the flame.
So here you go!
Chron
06/08/2013 12:05 pm
I think Hinduism wants us to quit bickering about religion, so I won't argue with you. All I'm going to say is that I don't think anyone who has commented on this topic agrees with you. (Also, if we ever do terraform... It'll be a few years.)
GCGamingChannel
06/08/2013 12:12 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Like cloning, we can terraform now. But its still experimental and very expensive.
Chron
06/08/2013 1:09 pm
I meant terraforming practically. I bet this'll be another one of Hinduism's posts...
Herpderpify
06/07/2013 9:20 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
I think that it may be wrong to clone a human just to harvest their organs or for cheap labor, but I don't see anything wrong with cloning animals. Also, what would be the purpose of cloning something?
GCGamingChannel
06/08/2013 12:10 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
We can end world hunger. E.g. clone cows and give the cloned cows to fair trade farmers or something so they can harvest and sell leather and beef.
ChrisL
06/27/2013 6:51 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
The world already produces enough food to feed everyone.
Chron
06/27/2013 7:49 pm
Yep. People that are hungry just don't have access to it. Either they don't have enough money, wars prevent food from getting to certain places, etc.
blockplacer
06/07/2013 9:14 pm
Level 22 : Expert Lumberjack
Chronalga
SilverKytten
ChronalgaIt's his opinion, he can argue about it if he wants to. We're already using cloning to work on doing these things (but not with humans, yet). In my opinion, I don't see why we need to even argue about this. Approximately 3 people believe that the rest of us are idiots (or, at the very least, not as smart as them) for our opinions, and everyone else is trying to defend each other. We shouldn't be making such a big deal out of this. We're not the ones actually doing the cloning or being cloned, and it probably won't even directly affect us for years. This has gotten past the informative stage. There are many things that can be done with cloning, many of which are ethical, and many of which are not ethical.

Opinion or not - If you're arguing about something when you've no idea what it is, that's called ignorance. Plain and simple.

I believe that this person knows what cloning is. Probably not the scientifically correct definition, or what it's going to be used for, but they know what it is. Maybe we should give them the chance to explain their statement:

blockplacerI'm not so sure cloning would end up being used for all that.

What do you think it will be used for?

I can't really see a whole lot of practical uses for cloning, personally. We don't need to clone things to research and study the growth of a living creature.

But maybe I'm just ignorant to what cloning is.
tacoking67
06/07/2013 6:35 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Goblin
and with cloning its not like you walk into a machine and 2 yous would come out. the clone would actually be born like a real person
ReaCraft
06/07/2013 11:25 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Nerd
I support cloning. It could help us.
Hinduism
06/06/2013 9:15 pm
I just read this whole page-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cloning
Roflcopter245
06/06/2013 5:41 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
I think we shouldn't clone because we don't have the money for it. But it would be cool. So my answer is do NOT clone because it is a lot of money.

-Rofl
blockplacer
06/06/2013 7:22 pm
I agree with this.

It would be a waste of time and money and nothing good would really come from it.
Hybrid Warrior
06/06/2013 8:40 pm
I I guess you'd consider this a waste of money:

- Understanding how cancers form
- Understanding how stem cells differentiate into specialized cells, thus getting closer at reversing patient cells into stem cells for body repair.
- Understanding Human Genetics at a developmental stage
- Understanding how human behavior can vary due to environmental factors
- Understanding how epigenetics affect individuals

and a whole host of potential information driving us closer to preventing human suffering.

All of the listed above are fields in which human cloning can give us insight. You think that's not worth the effort?
Hinduism
06/07/2013 11:24 am
Exactly! The efforts of cloning wouldn't be focused on the actual specimen at first, they would be focused on understanding connections to cloning. Cloning branches off to many subjects, and if we clone, we will be able to find out more about those things.
blockplacer
06/06/2013 9:21 pm
I'm not so sure cloning would end up being used for all that.

Anyways, neither of us are going to change our opinions on the subject. I never like debates because they rarely end in an agreement.
SilverKytten
06/07/2013 11:39 am
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
Then you obviously know nothing of cloning, and therefor shouldn't be trying to argue your opinion. That's called ignorance, and it is a very ugly thing.
blockplacer
06/07/2013 5:45 pm
It's his opinion, he can argue about it if he wants to. We're already using cloning to work on doing these things (but not with humans, yet). In my opinion, I don't see why we need to even argue about this. Approximately 3 people believe that the rest of us are idiots (or, at the very least, not as smart as them) for our opinions, and everyone else is trying to defend each other. We shouldn't be making such a big deal out of this. We're not the ones actually doing the cloning or being cloned, and it probably won't even directly affect us for years. This has gotten past the informative stage. There are many things that can be done with cloning, many of which are ethical, and many of which are not ethical.[/quote]

Thank you
Chron
06/07/2013 5:42 pm
It's his opinion, he can argue about it if he wants to. We're already using cloning to work on doing these things (but not with humans, yet). In my opinion, I don't see why we need to even argue about this. Approximately 3 people believe that the rest of us are idiots (or, at the very least, not as smart as them) for our opinions, and everyone else is trying to defend each other. We shouldn't be making such a big deal out of this. We're not the ones actually doing the cloning or being cloned, and it probably won't even directly affect us for years. This has gotten past the informative stage. There are many things that can be done with cloning, many of which are ethical, and many of which are not ethical.
Hybrid Warrior
06/06/2013 5:36 pm
Tutto200
Chronalga

I can settle for this. We'll never reach absolute truth, but we'll come close.

In my opinion we won't. There are questions so difficult that we can only dream of solving. Take Solipsism for example. There seems no way you can prove it wrong even if there's evidence to suggest so.

One of the rules of science is that things must be testable in order to be investigated validly. Solipsism is a philosophical question, one that is a "what if", instead of a "this is a possibility". Regardless, something has to be supported before we can even attempt to discredit the idea. Solipsism is something we will never be able to test, so it's something that is kept in philosophy, just a nifty thought.
Tutto200
06/06/2013 5:30 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Mage
Chronalga

In my opinion we won't. There are questions so difficult that we can only dream of solving. Take Solipsism for example. There seems no way you can prove it wrong even if there's evidence to suggest so.
Chron
06/06/2013 5:16 pm
Hybrid Warrior
But, because mortal, imperfect humans created science, it will never reach the climax that is complete control of the universe.

Moral of the story: Perfection cannot come from imperfection without a little divine help.

The scientific process was developed. The process itself is the strongest way to know things to the nearest truth. Think of absolute truth minus 0.00000000001, it's always worked, and the only reason why we don't say things are absolute truth is because we're always getting new information, so we add on to theories we have had before.

MusaTheLegend
06/06/2013 4:43 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Necromancer
As for humans, one word; Homunculus. But for animals, I think the world needs this kind of time and effort put into this research.
Hybrid Warrior
06/06/2013 4:39 pm
But, because mortal, imperfect humans created science, it will never reach the climax that is complete control of the universe.

Moral of the story: Perfection cannot come from imperfection without a little divine help.

The scientific process was developed. The process itself is the strongest way to know things to the nearest truth. Think of absolute truth minus 0.00000000001, it's always worked, and the only reason why we don't say things are absolute truth is because we're always getting new information, so we add on to theories we have had before.
duke_Frans
06/06/2013 3:59 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Modder
Bringing back old or ancient species is a bad idea for a number of reasons (like mammoths)
They will fit nowhere in the ecosystem as things have changed without them for thousands of years.
They server no use generally. Same for a species of Pidgeon they want to re-animate.

However cloning newer-extinct species is better, as it has none of the above risks and problems with habbitat
Hybrid Warrior
06/06/2013 4:34 pm
You seem to have a misconception. We're not going to bring back extinct species only to set them free into the wild. We want to bring one or a few back in order to study them and learn more about the environment and animals back then.
JamieGre
06/06/2013 2:03 pm
Level 43 : Master Dolphin
Chronalga
JamieGre
RoxthesoxI think we should clone a human, and if we f*ck up then we apologize and never do it again. If turns out great, then humanity moves to becoming the plot of The Island. Free organs for everyone!

That is the reason that cloning is banned on humans!

Who said it was banned on humans?

http://www.publicagendaarchives.org/cha ... ngineering
Cid_of_Lufenia
06/06/2013 1:57 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cloning can be used for many great things (Cloning livestock should help remedy world hunger) but still cloning itself can't stop death....to all those who say....."Blargh cloning is playing god". Clones don't really last that long and aren't nearly as intelligent as the original. Still Science is amazing and who knows what they will come up with eventually.
JamieGre
06/06/2013 2:09 pm
Level 43 : Master Dolphin
Not true, cloning is just when DNA is taken from an animal and used to reproduce animals with the same DNA, meaning an almost exact copy, so any health issues from the animal the DNA is taken from will be passed on to the clone, meaning the clone will develop the same health issues.

That has nothing to do Clones being "nearly as intelligent" as the origional! Clones will be born the same way as any normal animal, and will experience growing up the same way as any other animal, and if the DNA is taken from a healthy young adult animal then the clone will grow up to be healthy just like the animal the DNA is taken from!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome