Which computer should I go with?

ColbaltHD's Avatar ColbaltHD2/1/14 12:03 am
2/1/2014 8:14 pm
DrStrad's Avatar DrStrad
Build A: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ColbaltHD/saved/3tEP
Build B: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ColbaltHD/saved/3uEn
Feel free to change up the builds I have a budget of $800 and the cases for both builds stay :3
Please no fanboys.
Can you tell me why which build is better? (Or just vote)
ColbaltHD
Level 39 : Artisan Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

DrStrad
02/01/2014 8:14 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
I would personally switch out the 270x, partly because Powercolor isn't that great of a brand and that the GTX 760 ranks a little higher. Instead of that, I would go with the GTX 760 from EVGA, only $20 more
NostalgicBrowser
02/01/2014 7:56 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect
[
calebwiebolt11ya i have an i5 and it works great. i always go with intel processors because i do alot of 3d rendering.

Sorry to break it to you, but 3D rendering is done by the GPU.[/quote]
i am awear fo this also but it still requires a good quality cpu[/quote]

Actually, you're both wrong. Not directly, though. I assume RiotShielder misread it as you want to render 3D objects in games faster, which is on the GPU. All the CPU really does is to read code, so a better CPU would execute things faster and smoother. To work with rendering 3D objects in software such as, for example, Maya or Blender you'll need both decent GPU and CPU, but to render the finished product and same it onto your harddrive is processed by the RAM.[/quote]
oo he thought i ment games. i do alot of work in blender.
FalseTension
02/01/2014 6:23 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Killertoad
FalseTension
I was proving that you don't need to own something to know what's better. What I "hear" from relatives with computer science majors and what I read online from extremely credible sources are more than enough to judge which is better.

You brought up experience, so I told you, that you have none with either one. And lol, just because they major in something, doesn't make them 100% right all the time, does it? Since Obama is the president, he must always be right, according to you?

Not even close. My point was that you don't need experience in something to know a lot about it. And having a major doesn't make you 100% right all the time, but it's a much more credible source than a kid named "killertoad" on the Planet Minecraft forums. Please don't assume that you know what/how I think.
ColbaltHD
02/01/2014 4:47 pm
Can we not argue? Just pick what you think please and if you have something to say about the topic just say it. Please don't fight on the internet it does not solve anything. What are you going to do? Change someones mind for a day and then they will forget about it.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:34 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
FalseTension
I was proving that you don't need to own something to know what's better. What I "hear" from relatives with computer science majors and what I read online from extremely credible sources are more than enough to judge which is better.

You brought up experience, so I told you, that you have none with either one. And lol, just because they major in something, doesn't make them 100% right all the time, does it? Since Obama is the president, he must always be right, according to you?
FalseTension
02/01/2014 4:27 pm
Gtfo_Mailman
KillertoadSo you have no experience with Intel Vs. AMD yourself? So how'd you know what's good/bad? Exactly you don't. And a bit isn't worth $100. If you can't tell a difference in-game, then why would you pay more? That's just dumb and wreck-less.

FalseTensionLmao. I haven't owned a Lamborghini or a Ferrari but I can still find out their differences. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AMD+FX+8320+vs.+i5-4670k

Yes, you can google stuff, smart-ass, but that wasn't the question. You don't have experience with either one, so you wouldn't know much, other than what you "hear" and what you read online.

Don't be so naive, Killertoad.
I've had both and I prefer Intel.
While AMD has the fastest processors compared with price, Intel is the choice for a multi-media computer (and pretty much any gaming computer). AMD builds their processors with higher clock speed and larger amount of cores, but Intel is so much more overclockable and are very sturdy.

So what I mean is: AMD has good CPUs but they overheat very easily compared to Intel. Intel also seems like much less than it actually is. AMDs CPUs often come slightly overclocked making their clockspeed seem higher than Intels.

Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:24 pm
Gtfo_Mailman
Don't be so naive, Killertoad.
I've had both and I prefer Intel.
While AMD has the fastest processors compared with price, Intel is the choice for a multi-media computer (and pretty much any gaming computer). AMD builds their processors with higher clock speed and larger amount of cores, but Intel is so much more overclockable and are very sturdy.

So what I mean is: AMD has good CPUs but they overheat very easily compared to Intel. Intel also seems like much less than it actually is. AMDs CPUs often come slightly overclocked making their clockspeed seem higher than Intels.

They don't overheat as bad anymore, heck, I've never had one overheat. And maybe they do overclock it a bit, and maybe Intel can overclock a bit better, but still, AMD's is cheaper, for about the same stuff?
Gtfo_Mailman
02/01/2014 4:19 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Geek
Just don't listen to Killertoad, he don't know what he's talking about.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:25 pm
Yep, you're so right, I don't know what I'm talking about because I like to save money, sorry for being a noob and saving money guys.
Gtfo_Mailman
02/01/2014 4:06 pm
Build B is better and here's why. While build A has a better motherboard, build B has a better processor and will be physically smaller than the other.

If you're planning on overclocking I would HIGHLY suggest that you upgrade your PSU on both builds. While I assume you've selected what you've found necessary the GTX recommends a 600W PSU and with overclocking on top of that it'll knock out the supply planned.

I assume you already have an OS. If not, that's gonna cost you another $100. I'd recommend Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 because 8.1 has a proven increased performance over 7 in gaming. Windows 7 is clearly easier to manipulate but Windows 8.1 would be my choice for this.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:10 pm
He doesn't have to worry about size, as it's not a whole lot bigger, plus, why would it matter? He's not using water cooling, or nothing. And, the Intel processor isn't much faster. So once again, why spend more, for the same thing?
devonkeith_1119845
02/01/2014 4:01 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Build B is the best imo. You also want to get a Samsung SSD 500GB EVO instead of an HDD
Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:06 pm
Are you retarded?!? That's $400? Why would he need a SSD that big anyways? At most maybe a 12 GB, but not no 500 GB SSD. Good lord. And why is build B better?
Gtfo_Mailman
02/01/2014 4:08 pm
I assume you've mixed SSD with RAM. An SSD is storage, not memory.
SSDs boot things up faster than an HDD but is not necessary, especially not with the additional price compared to an HDD the same size.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 4:12 pm
I know what an SSD is, and yes its faster for booting up OS's and certain games, and maybe for recording, but 500 is way over kill. 12 is all you'd need with an SSD. That's enough for the OS and one good sized game.
NostalgicBrowser
02/01/2014 1:29 pm
ya i have an i5 and it works great. i always go with intel processors because i do alot of 3d rendering.
RiotShielder
02/01/2014 1:42 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Sorry to break it to you, but 3D rendering is done by the GPU.
NostalgicBrowser
02/01/2014 7:41 pm
i am awear fo this also but it still requires a good quality cpu
Gtfo_Mailman
02/01/2014 7:46 pm
Actually, you're both wrong. Not directly, though. I assume RiotShielder misread it as you want to render 3D objects in games faster, which is on the GPU. All the CPU really does is to read code, so a better CPU would execute things faster and smoother. To work with rendering 3D objects in software such as, for example, Maya or Blender you'll need both decent GPU and CPU, but to render the finished product and same it onto your harddrive is processed by the RAM.
TWSSYesterday
02/01/2014 1:15 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Cyborg
The AMD processor one is the best, 8 cores at 3.5 clock speed or 4 cores at 3.4, hands down AMD wins.
RiotShielder
02/01/2014 1:17 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Untrue.

The 8350 is a great CPU, however it isn't as fast as the i5. That said, you won't notice much of a difference in performance. I have a 8350 and I can run any game just fine, the only thing that limits me is my GFX card. Save yourself some money and go with the first build.
Joseph
02/01/2014 12:58 pm
Level 48 : Master uwu
Build your own computer! It's A LOT cheaper!
ColbaltHD
02/01/2014 4:20 pm
I am these are the parts....
Killertoad
02/01/2014 1:03 pm
I'm pretty sure if he is buying a bunch of parts, he may be building it....
MSheezies
02/01/2014 12:06 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
It really doesn't matter which. You need a bigger power supply. The minimum for the Graphics card is 500w
Killertoad
02/01/2014 11:48 am
A, the people above are fanboys. Why spend more, when it's about the same specs? You won't notice a difference in-game with either setup, so i'd go with the cheaper one.
ColbaltHD
02/01/2014 11:30 am
bump
Sterouids
02/01/2014 12:16 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
Build B is the better.
FalseTension
02/01/2014 12:08 am
B. Hands down.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 12:25 pm
You were the one asking what parts are good or not on another post? How would you possibly know whats good or not, when you're asking other people if its good or not?
FalseTension
02/01/2014 2:03 pm
Just because I was asking for advice doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. He has two computers planned out. If I had to chose between the two, I'd choose B. He planned them out, and he probably wouldn't have posted them if they were over his budget. Obviously there's room for cut-backs and improvement. But again, if I were him, I would choose option B.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 2:26 pm
Okay, fair enough, I guess, but why spend 100 dollars more, on something that isn't gonna be faster? Do you like giving out random 100 dollar bills?
FalseTension
02/01/2014 2:49 pm
Call me a fanboy, but I prefer Intel over AMD. Don't get me wrong, AMD has fine processors. But everyone that I know that is into custom built computers has experience with Intel, and stands behind them. Plus the 4670k performs a bit better than the 8320.
Killertoad
02/01/2014 3:22 pm
So you have no experience with Intel Vs. AMD yourself? So how'd you know what's good/bad? Exactly you don't. And a bit isn't worth $100. If you can't tell a difference in-game, then why would you pay more? That's just dumb and wreck-less.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome