Computer motherboard?

starwolfminecrafter's Avatar starwolfminecrafter11/22/12 2:47 pm
1 emeralds 229 9
11/26/2012 6:57 pm
Trackie's Avatar Trackie
hi, i have an emachine et1352g-03w, i have a gt 430 nvidia videocard that i upgraded it to, everything else is original, i want to update the motherboard since i was told that it is 8 years old and discontinued, is there any newer motherboard i can switch to to slowly get my computer up to date? and run smoother? esp with minecraft, i get about 40 fps right now, and there are times i get up to 100 but thats very rare for me, i average about 40, i do know the motherboard is a 2.0 (whatever that means) because i bought a 2.1 and the motherboard did not accept it,

processor - AMD Athlon II X2 260u processor 1.8 GHz
memory --- 4096 mb ram
video card - gt 430 nvidia

is there anything else i should tell you?
starwolfminecrafter
Level 42 : Master Enderdragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Trackie
11/26/2012 6:57 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
get a gigabyte bulldozer, compact and powerful.
ItsBill
11/26/2012 6:52 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
I would recommend it.

Yeah, replacing a mother board = unplugging everything and replugging it all into the new one.

A hard disk drive (HDD) is the physical giant spinning magnet you put into your computer. A formatted partition is what makes your motherboard able to read the HDD. Most HDDs are formatted with only one partition, but you can split up an HDD into multiple partitions (For example, 3 partitions of C drive, D drive, then E drive).
Donutcash
11/25/2012 11:32 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
All of these fancy words are making my brain overload.
starwolfminecrafter
11/25/2012 11:27 am
ItsBill
starwolfminecraftersnip.

so it would be best to save all my important stuff on a flash drive large enough then do the conversion? and would where the usb ports in the front and all that matter? or are those also just "plug in" aside from the back? or are ALL the usb ports and other "external plug ins" have to be unplugged from the old and plugged into the new? and my windows 7 came with the computer

ps partition? i keep seeing that everywhere, what does it mean and how does one make a partition? im only ankle deep in the tech world, i know how to add memory boards, change fans, add a video card, change the power supply, and how to go into the C: drive to see what is left on my computer after the "add/remove"
GBx_HD
11/25/2012 8:59 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
If you want something for immense performance, i would recommend the Asus Sabertooth X79. Check out this link:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SABERTOOTH_X79/
ItsBill
11/22/2012 3:47 pm
That's a really old processor, just saying.

I would recommend the M5A97 motherboard ($100) which should last you a long while especially if you plan on upgrading memory or your processor. It looks like you have an AM3 socket processor, which will fit in the A97's AM3+ socket (source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320991-28-work-socket)

Be careful disassembling everything, because it is very possible to accidentally break your processor via static electricity.
starwolfminecrafter
11/25/2012 8:51 am
is there anything i should know software wise other than just switching it out? will i still have everything on my computer if i switch the motherboard out? im not exactly sure if everything i download is stored on the hard-drive or the motherboard, or the memory boards
ItsBill
11/25/2012 9:10 am
All your data and boot software will be on your hard drive, but you would probably need to re-install Windows. Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294604-30-switching-motherboards

So that means that if it doesn't work, you'll need to back up your important data. But for a computer that old, you could probably do well with a Windows re-installation anyway. If you have the retail Windows (above link), then you won't need to re-install. Be advised that a re-install usually requires an empty partition - if you have a second hard drive, you could move all of your data to that one.

One other thing - the connectors for the fans, lights, and other wiring can get confusing your first time building (in your case, rebuilding) a system. It took me a few minutes to figure out where my power on button connector went along with the reset button connector.
Official_dogtaco_
11/22/2012 2:51 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
desktop computer?

would recommned looking for anything that supports a I5,
can pick one up for about 100 with 1155 socket, can pick the board up for about the same, (: would recomend upgrading to 8GB DDR3 ram if you have not got ddr3,
, just some basics there.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome