I'm working on a new version of my Minecraft Site. What do you think?

CrazyCowMM's Avatar CrazyCowMM11/17/23 11:31 pm
3 emeralds 157 6
11/18/2023 10:03 pm
CrazyCowMM's Avatar CrazyCowMM
Check it out at https://next.mccreations.net/

I want to make sure that creators feel like their content is really the center of the site while keeping the whole thing looking very clean and modern. Performance is definitely another factor so let me know how things work on your devices!

Expect bugs, but also tell me about them!
CrazyCowMM
Level 52 : Grandmaster Cowboy

Create an account or sign in to comment.

DinoWattz
11/18/2023 4:06 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
It seems like it's a JE only site, will it ever support other editions or is JE the focus of it?
CrazyCowMM
11/18/2023 8:41 pm
Adding bedrock support is definitely in the cards. However I want to get a solid foundation built for just one content type (Java maps in this case) before branching out into other areas. I believe that adding other content types too soon will slow down development of more important features
ScotsMiser
11/18/2023 7:21 am
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
Search automatically runs after typing the fourth character.

Page update is reasonably quick.
CrazyCowMM
11/18/2023 1:10 pm
Were you able to find everything you might need to download a map reasonably well?
ScotsMiser
11/18/2023 9:26 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
More grist for the debug mill…

No, however, this was due to the problem with the search function which initially appeared to be fixed 👍 in that I was able to do one search (see SEARCH RESULTS below).
After this, the search function returned to its previous state where a search would run after no more than four characters were entered. [Sort of*]
Note searching 'Test' or 'Gold' seem to provide search results, but 'ten' or '100' simply cycle back to the main maps page & searching 'reds' brings up only a listing for Code: Red [​Note that this map's info/downloaf page can be accessed from the search result page.]
The autosearch that happens after typing 'Curs' shows no results, yet there is a mpa on the main page 'Barosa's Curse'

* Further experiment shows more than four characters are sometimes allowed before the 'autosearch' kicks in, and sometimes the first character triggers this

SEARCH RESULTS
Something new:
searched 'redstone' and found
https://www.mccreations.net/search?search=redstone&sort=&version=&featured=false&category=&page=0

but I can find no way to get from the search page listed above to the map description/download page…
I know this exists at https://next.mccreations.net/maps/An-Amazing-Journey-2:-Redstone-Boogaloo because I was able to find it using the title ascending filter on the main display page https://next.mccreations.net/maps

Also, I don't see a search option on the home page ( next.mccreations.net/ )
CrazyCowMM
11/18/2023 10:03 pm
Ah don’t worry about stuff on the primary mccreations.net domain. That’s what I’m working on moving away from. I think I was able to solve the issue with search occurring automatically and deleting your input as a result, however it won’t be pushed to the live site for a little bit. The update will also push your full search query into the address bar so you can link back to it like you did with the old site.

Search results not being returned for partial word searches (like Curs) is a much deeper problem with the backend and how it fetches data after a search request. It’s something that I was aware of but kind of put on the back burner because I told myself it wasn’t important. Seeing as how it’s already caused confusion though, I’ll move that up in the priorities.

As for a search button/bar/option in the main menu bar, I can understand the confusion and this is probably something I should add. I had neglected to do so because the only things on the new site at the moment are maps but it’ll definitely be important once more content types are available so I might as well get started on that now. Thanks for such detailed feedback!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome