Building a Wither Skeleton Farm on the Forever Bedrock SMP :)

Dski1666's Avatar Dski16664/1/24 9:06 pm
4/11/2024 6:50 am
ScotsMiser's Avatar ScotsMiser
Dski1666
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/01/2024 11:11 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Very different spawn mechanics than java, but I'm still surprised at the rates given it looks like you've done no spawnproofing of the environment.
(For comparison an 8 wide ~160 long spawn pad with the outside spawnproofed out to 128 blocks in all directions gives me about 12-15 skulls an hour.
This is manual kill with 128+ long hallways with railways at each end to despawn unwanted mobs. )

One thing I noticed about how you built the roof:
   you seem to do long (full length?) runs of slabs and then fill in whereas I've found one is less vulnerable to attacks if one builds a series of small full width rectangles.

Spawnproofing with buttons (rather than slabs) and the unprotected glass in walls make me think that ghast shot is less of a problem in BR than java…

I'm guessing the different spawn mechanics make setting up a mob sink (closed spawnable room 'near' the build) to [​largely] fill the mob cap doesn't work in BR?
04/11/2024 6:12 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
Dski1666
1) With Bedrock your mob spawning on SIM4 is 24 to 44 blocks from the player. This is why the rates are actually as good as they are. Anytime we are in the farm we basically have everything spawn proof in that range except the spawn spots themselves.

2) The other player with me was using that method of small groupings for the roof. I am a little more comfortable in the Nether than he is :) So I was going for speed while he filled in at a more deliberate pace :) lol

3) In BR (I have never looked it up to confirm it) but Ghasts do not appear to be able to see the player through glass. Have made several bridges and this farm using glass in the Nether on BR and they never shoot...so the theory has always just been they don't see through it. It's a nice perk to making some cool designs for builds in the Nether.

4) There are several other designs out there but since the wither skeletons and other mobs in BR spawn on specific blocks this is a design we found always works and easy to build. Running the length of the hall allows for mobs to respawn back in from the area you just left and the length of the hallway there always keeps you within the 44 block spawning distance so it just becomes a good efficient easy build that any Bedrock player can do. Basically once you spawn proof and locate the specific spawn blocks the rest is easy :)
04/11/2024 6:50 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Thank you for the reply; the spawn mechanics appear to be far more different than I had realized.

With respect to point #3 (glass and buttons):
Ghasts cannot see a player through glass (or glass panes) in java [which I think is also true in BR].
My disinclination to use materials that are not proof against ghast shot comes from the potential destruction from long range and stray shots.
Between the much longer range at which Ghast target players (64 vs 28) and th e theoretcal infinite fireball range (which can come into play if another player provokes an attack but the fireball misses).

Interesting to see BR farms as it makes clear just how different the results from the changes in game mechanics…
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome