Scarce amount of non-white skins

sed1364's Avatar sed13643/20/24 6:58 pm
6 emeralds 312 8
3/26/2024 1:39 am
20w14infinite's Avatar 20w14infinite
Overall, I've noticed that there is a scarce number of non-white skins. When I go through the trending tabs, I typically see Caucasian skins other than the non-human skins (not saying that there are none, and this excludes the interesting amount of Obama skins).

Is the majority of the Minecraft community white people?

Personally, I am half Hispanic/half African American. I have curly, thickish hair. It's a struggle. In Roblox, I search for curly hair. The closest I can find are these "soft, curly, emo, e-boy" hair items with maybe a COUPLE of waves. Not even curly. Just wavy at most.
When I do find my texture, it's labelled as afro....I don't have an afro....

I don't care what race you are. You can play Minecraft regardless, obviously.
I, also, don't care if I have to make my own skin. However, I searched for tutorials left and right. I can barely find any good tutorials for curly hair. I can barely find any video tutorials that center around my skin color.

I know there are African American skins. I've seen them. Haven't searched hard enough for Hispanic skins, though.
It's just that, besides a few characters, OCs, and PLENTY OF OBAMAS, I can't seem to find many. I would just like to say that I feel underrepresented.

I already made a skin that looks like me. The reason why I'm complaining is because I found little to no help on how to create it.

I just wanted to get this off my chest, and I hope that this becomes a more relevant discussion in the Minecraft and Roblox communities.

Take care <3
sed1364
Level 6 : Apprentice Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/26/2024 1:39 am
Level 49 : Master Toast
20w14infinite
https://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/fixed-revamp-v4/

hey, i make a ton of non-white skins
03/21/2024 2:11 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
With respect to the dearth of curly haired skins:
The player models (even with the use of the second layer) make thi sdifficult to do;
Dr Who — Third incarnation (played by John Pertwee) is one of my attempts. The actor played the role with curly hair (no clue if that's natural for Pertwee), and it was a struggle to protray this (nor do I think it came out particularly well).
Additionally, if one uses the second (helm) layer for part of the hair, adding any kind of head gear becomes consdierably more problematic.

In similar fashion, many clothing styles are exceedingly difficult to do: I've been wanting to do landsknecht skins for some time, but the models simply do not support either the resolution or the necessary layers to do so....
03/21/2024 6:21 pm
sed1364
Woah! I love your Dr. Who skin.

For my skin, someone showed me how to do curly hair.
We used Block Bench, and she showed me how to use the soft brush to fix the hair that I made.
03/20/2024 8:13 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
I would imagine its less to do with the population of the playerbase and has more to do with the part of the playerbase who actually end up making skins. A large portion of people who make skins use premade part selectors to combine parts of skins into and then many people also only make one or two skins and usually just what they would use themselves. Another issue you run into is a lot of people also create skins of famous characters from gaming or tv/movies which often more prominently features white characters than not. A good portion of more popular skin creators also tend to create anime characters which while they often feature asian or ambiguous nationality characters they appear so close to white that with the limited canvas available you wont be able to properly display skin tone accurately.

As for learning to make your own skins, it really boils down to a lot of practice and studying how other's make their skins. Dont directly copy, especially not if you are posting them yourself, but try to make sense of how someone shaded something or even why they may have and try to do something similar. It will take time to learn for sure but if you cant find a skin you like you really only have the option of learning or paying someone to make one for you and learning will be more rewarding in the long run if you like to change it up often.
03/20/2024 11:57 pm
sed1364
Thank you for the insight!

Do you think that it would be scandalous to copy shading techniques?
03/21/2024 2:20 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
To a large degree it matters what/how much one is copying: realizing that knees and elbows are often shaded lighter and/or the area just under darker is not likely to be seen as anything but good sense… whereas taking a face could well be seen as plagerism…

As another example there was recently a poll posted asking how one preferred to do eyes: clearly the various ways illustrated would be seen as fair game.
03/22/2024 1:28 am
sed1364
That makes sense! Thank you :)
03/21/2024 1:28 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Skinner
inzanely
most skinners from what i gather really don't appreciate it when their skinning/shading style is copied 1:1, however i see no problem taking inspiration, or studying another's techniques. (it's actually a great way to learn all things considered) but if you do directly copy a certain portion of your skin (for example let's say you really like the way somebody shaded some bangs or the way that person likes to do hands, so you try to incorporate those two things into your future skins) then it'd probably be a good idea to credit them somewhere in the skin's description.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome