7/7/2014 2:19 am
Amgini's Avatar Amgini
Flakko Dzarkans skin: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/cowboy-bandit-psl/

Snowys skin: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/western-brave/

Snowys Reference Image
Ash
Retired Moderator
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Amgini
07/07/2014 2:19 am
Level 25 : Expert Artist
^

What nit said.
Knightsundere
07/07/2014 12:32 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
*cracks fingers*

Hi folks :P

Now, this little battle is based off of two things. Originality, and the execution of the skin regarding the theme. Flakko made a generic cowboy, which turns me off in the originality factor. He seems to shift in shading style and color saturation throughout the skin, evident on the back of the vest and on the hat as compared to the boots. The hands and legs have some rather odd highlighting, centered in the middle for the knee, which I can understand on the front, but on the back?

Same thing goes for the region underneath the vest on the back. Two pixels of bright white kind of breaks the flow between the back and the legs. The bandana and face appear to be fine, and the cowboy hat was alright except for some shading and lighting issues. Shading isn't how well you separate colors from each other, it's how well they represent where the light is coming from and how harsh it is. The arms are extremely white, and overall, the color choices don't make this cowboy seem very rustic. More like a porcelain model you might get from a thrift store.

Now, people will call me out in this area for not saying much about Snowy's skin problem-wise.

There's a reason.

It's a damn good skin. Highlight placements are nicely done, focusing on making the front and sides brighter as compared to the back, and the hair shades up and to the corners, matching everything else. Sure, it doesn't have a cowboy hat, but does that mean it isn't from the Wild West? Historically, no. Just because our stereotypical views of Cowboys and Indians is what most people make, and there's nothing wrong with that, doesn't mean that the quality changes when the influences change. Heck, Snowy lives in Australia, and that's quite arid, hot, dry, and resembles the West quite a bit. Maybe she took some inspiration from that and incorporated it into the skin.

The colors are chosen very nicely to represent a wanderer of the Range, who wears a cloak and a tunic. Looks fine to me. Point to Snowy.
Ash
07/06/2014 11:19 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Not a lot of deviants, I take it.
Uh, here, This is the reference, if you want to know what it is.
Jex_Infinite
07/06/2014 11:01 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Snowy had better shading, but I think Flakko had a better skin overall. It fits the theme well. What even is Snowy's meant to be?

Just because I could tell what Flakko's was, I give my vote to him.
Aresyl
07/06/2014 10:42 pm
Level 26 : Expert Fisherman
It seems like there's a lot of suck ups in here XD Lol (JK but it does SEEM like there's a little biase in the air )

I voted for Flakko I like the bandit idea better, I'm still trying to figure out the type of person Snowy tried making and I don't understand what the 6X2 pixel thing is on the back of Snowy's skin :/.
Ghei
07/06/2014 10:44 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
<3
Knightsundere
07/06/2014 6:55 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
It's getting colllllllldddd in here, looks like the SNOWY-STORM is inbound, folks!

badum-tish

Really though, it was a nice attempt, Flakko. Try turning down the saturation, and it would look a bit nicer.
Ghei
07/06/2014 6:57 pm
Lol, dat pun tho. Thanks, btw.
Ghei
07/06/2014 6:20 pm
gg, snowy, you win
Ludicrous
07/06/2014 5:45 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Team Snowy all the way!
Ghei
07/06/2014 5:23 pm
yay...
WTFshady
07/06/2014 5:17 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
Wow, from 0-7 to 5-8...
-Baron
07/06/2014 5:11 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Guard
Go Snowy!
WTFshady
07/06/2014 5:09 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
Snowy.
Aegeah
07/06/2014 5:04 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Fisherman
This is not looking good for Flakko right now.. I just had to vote Snowy, I think the shading is better.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome