Last thread relating to the grindstone

AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis4/14/21 2:50 pm
4/14/2021 3:48 pm
AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis
I want to share a discussion I had on a different forum about this topic.

But if somebody else makes one more half witted excuse for the grindstone,
I'm going to make a topic about it, explaining in detail why XP farms made this item obsolete from the start, before Mojang started listening to noobs and began ruining the game for us.

"As allyourbasesaregone told you, this removes all the other enchantments you put on it, and without exploits involved, leaves you with Curses.

Let me tell you a little tale about a friend who gave me a Turtle Helmet, I had to put Mending on it myself, but it was a good helmet except for one minor problem, it had Projectile Protection VI, which isn't an enchantment I wanted on my helmet.

I didn't put it on the Grindstone, instead, I just made a new one and kept that one as spare.

Better to have 2 fully enchanted items instead of only one, it's simple math.

Sure the Turtle Helmet didn't have the right type of Protection Enchantment I wanted, but it was still worth keeping around in case things get rough and I somehow lose my other armour if I die.

What kind of noob uses a grindstone to destroy hours worth of work? you could use junk you got from fishing, but this wasn't incentive enough for me to craft one in my base. I'd rather just use my spare loot to make fully enchanted bows, rods and what not.

I believe the only time I used a grindstone was at my friends place, in game, it was a one off thing weeks ago to dispose of a surplus of rods and bows that had curse of vanishing on them. Can't say I'm impressed though, not enough to replace my XP farms."

www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft/suggestions/3033880-get-rid-of-grindstone
AGTRigorMortis
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Selfishboy
04/14/2021 2:58 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Goblin
Grindstone is a good building block man!
FishStacks
04/14/2021 2:58 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Stack
ok but have you ever had a mob farm (like a skeleton one)? those drop tons of enchanted, useless stuff thats better to disenchant instead of throw away
AGTRigorMortis
04/14/2021 3:18 pm
Why not make some more fully enchanted gear and store them way in chests? you never know when you're going to need them

I'm well aware that the grindstone removes prior work penalty and I even brought this point up on the other forum,
but this doesn't make up for the design flaws of the anvil, it's a cop out for developers being unwilling to correct the anvil's bad mechanics, forcing us to rely on an allegedly an even more broken way to repair items indefinitely, mending.

If I had programmer skills I'd probably make a sandbox like Minecraft but do it much differently,
going through each and every item and fixing what they did wrong..
FishStacks
04/14/2021 3:22 pm
when in gods name am i going to need 50 double chests of fire protection leather armor when i have diamonds, iron, and netherite
AGTRigorMortis
04/14/2021 3:32 pm
That on all depends on perspective, you see.

What if you have a server where you're playing with 10, 20 or even 100 other active players?
then you may have a surplus of one kind of equipment you don't need, but they do and vice versa,
then you can trade with other people.

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's not possible to trade these with Villager NPC's, at least not iron, diamond and netherite tools and armour.
That would've been a better solution to an overwhelming surplus in my humble opinion,
why? because then you get to choose the rewards, like extra emeralds which can be used for more trades.

You can end up with a surplus of XP just as easily FYI, me and a friend I play with frequent XP levels of 40 to 70.
FishStacks
04/14/2021 3:37 pm
ok but im thinking at least 90% of people dont paly on 100+ servers, so thats a bit of a niche

also, once you unenchant, you can smelt the armor and tools down

and if you want to throw them away, just get that small amount of xp before doing so

and, fun fact, you dont have to use all the features in a game. its a sandbox game. just because you specifically dont use something doesnt mean it should be removed
AGTRigorMortis
04/14/2021 3:48 pm
The amount of iron you get from smelting a pickaxe is rather wasteful IMHO,
you only receive a nugget each which is only a small fraction of what an iron pickaxe is worth.

Point taken, it is a sandbox

But the point that needs to be taken into consideration here is that the grindstone is not a decor block,
it's not supposed to just be used to make builds look pretty, it has a different proclaimed purpose.

I might be in the minority on this one, but just think this matter could have been handled differently

You can get iron and diamond armour and tools from villagers but you can't give it to them for an emerald reward,
how much sense does this make? and I highly doubt many people are going to be having large surpluses of netherite.

I just store most of my surpluses to be used at a later time, even if I have to build warehouses for them.
I don't smelt armour or tools because it's an inefficient way to repurpose it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome