Where to Start?

Larry the Hamster's Avatar Larry the Hamster11/28/22 10:06 pm
3 emeralds 123 3
11/30/2022 11:20 am
Kefaku's Avatar Kefaku
I have long been interested in making data packs, but I have literally no idea where to start. Could someone please just give me some simple information like what Minecraft files to use, what tutorials to use, how much coding experience is needed, and how long it typically takes to make your first data pack? I just need some basic stuff like that to start with for now (I assume those aren't to difficult of questions).
Larry the Hamster
Level 25 : Expert Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Kefaku
11/30/2022 11:20 am
Level 42 : Master Nerd
history
" what tutorials to use":

In addition to the things aready suggested, you should take a look at the tutorial series Function Datapacks for Dummies.
Also, if you come across any questions you can ask on the Minecraft Commands Reddit or their Discord Server.
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm also working on a series of tutorials related to datapacking: Datapacking In-Depth

"how much coding experience is needed":

None. In fact, I think datapacks are a great way to get into coding.

"how long it typically takes to make your first data pack":

This heavily depends on what you want to implement and how fast you learn. Just take the time you need.
Spuduking
11/29/2022 1:41 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Procrastinator
history
The minecraft wiki has a good tutorial on setting up a data pack. Look under "Tutorials/Creating a data pack".

You only really need Notepad or a similar text editor, but something like Visual Studio Code with the Data Pack Helper Plus extension (which is what I use) can make formatting and finding syntax errors much easier.

You'll need to get familiar with commands (if you aren't already) if you want to do more than add custom recipes and advancements!

Here are some resources that are extremely helpful:

Tutorials to help you get started:
You can look up tutorials for just about anything you encounter. Sometimes you can even just look up questions/problems and find answers on Planet Minecraft, Reddit, Stack Exchange and other forums. Additionally, you can join r/MinecraftCommands Discord server.

Hope this helps!
Larry the Hamster
11/29/2022 7:07 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
Thanks!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome