[PMC Documentary - Research D] Minecraft's Exposurelanguage

Adrestio's Avatar Adrestio5/2/24 11:12 am history
26 emeralds 426 24
5/8/2024 4:24 am
PsioPsia001's Avatar PsioPsia001
-----
CONTEXT: I am starting the long pre-production research process for a documentary I am making. I want the MC Documentary to focus on the culture, impact and community over the years (especially on the site). This research focuses on the whole.
-----

__RESEARCH QUESTION__
When did you first hear about Minecraft?
Not when you first purchased it or entered the community, but when did you first HEAR about the game? And don't you round down to “look cool” >:(

The game spans from 2009 all the way until now and new ideas, creations, and players fluctuate over the years. If it was from a Youtube video, heard from a friend, or the few who heard it somewhere else: when! If you can't recall exactly when, maybe pin-point the features that were nostalgic when you first joined.

-------

(Picture is outdated but you get the jist!)

Share this Around too!!
Become a member to vote!
Adrestio
Site Moderator
Level 47 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

PsioPsia001
05/08/2024 4:24 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Ranger
2014/15 but started to play much later
ICanGamez
05/04/2024 9:43 pm
Level 43 : Master uwu
Man i loved the world of color update, and when minecraft was free that was great. it was like a little flash game but it had potential!
Funiverse Minnesota
05/04/2024 7:50 am
Level 39 : Artisan Procrastinator
I watched tons of Yogscast before I actually got to play Minecraft. Very long time of desperately wanting to play before I got it on Xbox 360.
Angelonasher
05/03/2024 5:27 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
history
I'm going with 2019 since I don't remember the old netherack texture. I'm pretty sure I knew about the game before that but my memory is bad
r3dleaf
05/03/2024 8:07 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Artist
i first heard about it around 2014-2015 but I first played it around 1.9 (2016)
IGEBM
05/03/2024 7:36 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Loremaster
17-18
ScotsMiser
05/03/2024 4:06 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
history
Didn't start playing until mid[]sh] 2011, but I'd heard of it previously so whether that was before 01Jan2011 is likely lost to time.
Sun9ty
05/02/2024 10:50 pm
Level 40 : Master Wolf
I first heard of the Pocket Edition back in 2012, when I saw my cousins playing it with their iPods and iPads. The gameplay was oddly simple, yet fascinating to watch; so after asking my parents to spend $6.99, the rest was history.
Adrestio
05/03/2024 12:13 am
Pocket Edition is legendary, that was my first device I had it on too and then I was sucked!
r3dleaf
05/03/2024 8:08 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Artist
lmao same, my brother downloaded it on our iPad and forced me to play it
Zitzabis
05/02/2024 9:09 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
As per last time, 2009-2010 voters unite!
You may be eligible for this group depending on your PMC account age:
https://www.planetminecraft.com/group/the_decade_club/
ScotsMiser
05/03/2024 4:20 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
'bout half way there…

or do you follow the practice of Niven's Struldbrugg's and increase the minimum by one year every two?
Zitzabis
05/02/2024 9:19 pm
history
As for the story, I first recall seeing Minecraft in my DeviantArt days...before it changed. Don't judge me based on what it is like now.
I recall 2 GIFs. The first was a Blender animation of a creeper jump scaring through a ceiling (So I can place my first viewing after creepers were added).
The 2nd GIF was of a player mining next to lava, placing a torch and suddenly getting jump scared by a creeper that snuck up behind them.

So this places me around late 2009, early 2010. It was months later until I had internet again and I got my hands on a demo of Minecraft and crafting had been added by then.
CrownDeluxe
05/02/2024 7:03 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
Twas a couple of friends of mine, they had it on a computer of theirs, and showed me a build they were putting together in creative mode. I felt I wanted to try it out, but we didn't stay on it long.
blank3times
05/02/2024 6:13 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Botanist
I first heard of it in 2014, playing it first with friends and finally getting my own account many months later in early 2015. I vividly remember learning crafting recipes using the finger method, where you'd point to different segments of different fingers as if it's a crafting grid.
StormWatcher
05/02/2024 4:47 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
We were living overseas at the time, but I was introduced to MC (in 2012-13, not entirely sure) by someone in a family who we had met there (to be honest, I legitimately have no idea how we knew them, though I have some vague recollections).

Our parents went out for the night I believe, so we stayed at their house. Me, I've always been kind of interested in games (fun to play, admittedly a simple reason), and he happened to have an XBox, and showed me some games he had.
That was my first encounter with MC, and I think the original reason I somewhat liked it, of all things, was because it reminded me of Lego. It did the one thing I had always wished Lego games had done: be able to build anything within it.

I only played it once, but I remember the next time we went over, I was somewhat disappointed when I found out he had sold/traded it to do some other games.

Played scattered times with other people who had it in later years (all on XBox, except once on a PS3 I think?), and I legitimately started to love the game, even though till like 2019, I had played it less than 10 times.
Zitzabis
05/02/2024 9:22 pm
Out of curiosity, can you say what country you were in at the time of first seeing it? Just checking on the off-chance that we might actually know each other lol.
StormWatcher
05/02/2024 10:40 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
I don't see it as very likely, but on the off-chance, Okinawa.
Zitzabis
05/03/2024 9:33 am
Yep, that's not it. Still worth a try! lol Thanks!
inzanely
05/02/2024 4:30 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Skinner
iirc i first found out about the game via my brother and him playing the raspberry pi edition. (can't remember if it came preinstalled on his pi, or if he downloaded it off the web) but i do remember seeing stuff about the frostburn update around the same time so this had to be mid-2016
Firestar2477278
05/02/2024 1:25 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Warrior
BOOST :D
CaraRose
05/02/2024 12:18 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Princess
history
I first joined Minecraft on December 14, 2014. 9:55 pm
(as mc logs say 😁)

My childhood friend asked me to play this cool game with him he found out about
and I didn't really wanna at first 'cause I hated new things lol

so after some time I lost a bet to him
and his wish was to play Minecraft with him.
back then it was pirated version and not official server named Apple Craft

1st animal that I saw when joined multiplayer was a sheep swimming in water
and it seemed so cute to me,
then we got to building a house and googled all the recipes
'cause there was no such thing as recipe book in the game on 1.7.5 version😂

I immediately fell in love with everything
and started building, terraforming
(as I could for that moment)
and playing for hours like crazy :D
met most of my friends in there

for a long while my dream was to get the official version
and play on official servers and in 2018 I finally got it which made me super happy

that's when I started Cara's journey till nowadays :)

Minecraft is one of the important things in my life
'cause of everything it brought me
and I can't imagine winning that bet and never trying to play the game☺️
Adrestio
05/02/2024 1:55 pm
I knew when Mojang Accounts still existed the time you could check when you joined but I’m curious how you find it in the MC logs you say?

also awesome story! xD
CaraRose
05/02/2024 6:27 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Princess
thank you! ^^

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\logs

it has logs from everything you ever did in Minecraft

(if you don't delete them from time to time :D)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome