“Turning Red” is Toxic Trashlocal_movies

Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum5/20/24 2:50 am history
12 emeralds 270 12
5/21/2024 3:38 pm
IGEBM's Avatar IGEBM
In case you don’t know about Pixar’s movie Turning Red already, it’s about a teenage girl growing up with a catch: she transforms into a giant red panda whenever she gets excited or stressed. This movie is a little on the nose with the whole puberty metaphor.

That however is hardly the real problem with Turning Red. The girl, Mei Mei, is a snarky, obnoxious brat who impulsively does whatever the hell she wants while giving grief to her concerned parents. Oh, wait. Apparently, the mother is a manipulative, crazy woman (the movie’s villain) who doesn’t respect her daughter’s wishes to be a 13-year old adult, making Mei the victim here. Thanks for clearing that up, movie! I had no idea how stupid parents are, and that kids are already mature enough to look after themselves! They can safely get drunk and fall off a cliff, because in the world of Turning Red, consequences don’t exist.

So the movie ends with the mother “realizing” how “wrong” she was about everything, and Mei can treat her like nonexistent crap cause Mei’s a grown woman who doesn’t need parents anymore. Isn’t Mei such a likable person? It’s bad enough that she never pays for her stupid mistakes, but the fact that the movie doesn’t treat these as mistakes and rather that Mei was right all along.Yes, running off alone to simp on a boy band and twerking in public are completely healthy habits for a 13-year old girl according to the creeps who made this movie.
Dermugettum
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Indraft
05/20/2024 6:33 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Cowboy
i was pretty sure Turning Red was about overcoming generational trauma (with the added puberty theme). if you look at it as if Mei is being spoiled and lashing out at her family for them attempting to parent her, I can see how the movie would come off like this. however--you're missing a crucial theme of the movie (generational trauma). this is most explicitly shown when Mei rejects her ancestor's dismissal of their panda form, which was ingrained in her mom to keep hidden (and all those that came before her). granted, I haven't seen this since it came out, but I am certain that there is an element of generational trauma that you are missing
Dermugettum
05/21/2024 5:22 am
history
And how exactly does the "generational trauma" theme make this movie any better? That theme in and of itself isn't bad, it's just poorly executed. They focus too much on Mei's "victimhood", saying that she was never in the wrong for rejecting everything she was raised on, both good and bad. She hates her mother, and she even goes back on the whole respecting parents message by saying: "It's more important to respect myself." By the end of the film this hardly changes, even with keeping her mother updated on her motivations. Mei still expects her mother to let her do whatever she wants cause Mei sees her as an inferior person.

See, this whole generational trauma was used in the film as Mei's selfish excuse for roleplaying the "suffering" victim. The mother is portrayed in an unrealistic light where she's the villain who needs to be corrected/cancelled by her own impulsive child. In a way, it was Mei's parenting that made her the spoiled brat she is, but they don't even resolve that by the end because they want you to think that she's perfectly fine and that the parents should pay for her actions, instead of Mei answering for her own mistakes.
LilNilbogBTW
05/20/2024 4:47 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
I get that its bad or whatever, but why did you put this on Planet Minecraft? Why not Twitter or something?
DaGibinator
05/21/2024 2:23 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Because Twitter, Reddit, and other social media platforms are already go-to places for discussions like this; but by posting it here, you can engage a wider audience and cover more ground to discuss issues you think could be a potential problem.
Dermugettum
05/20/2024 5:06 pm
Cause I don't use Twitter or much else. The General forum thread already gets some pretty random, non-Minecraft related posts.
MistFaller
05/20/2024 3:39 pm
Level 27 : Expert Geek
Yeah... I could only watch the first 10min before deciding i would rather do something else with my free time...
scratchcrafter1
05/20/2024 3:30 pm
Level 20 : Expert Sus
yes
ScotsMiser
05/20/2024 1:21 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Miner
I recall reading a review of this when it came out (or thereabouts) that was even more scathing (although for quitw differnt reasons).
SoapSoapSoap
05/20/2024 4:39 am
Level 44 : Master Procrastinator
i know right turnign red is fcuyckin twash it should be baned if n every single tcountry in the wheolrd
plantghoul
05/20/2024 4:14 am
Level 1 : New Miner
bruh
traincrisis
05/20/2024 3:48 am
Level 34 : Artisan Engineer
wtf is turning red
IGEBM
05/21/2024 3:37 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Loremaster
A movie